VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI,

Have Win 10 x 64 with latest updates.

I have been capturing via a TI1394 Firewire card okay using the Legacy driver but it has now stopped working. It can be seen in Device Manager but I can't get it to see our DV cams, a Sony and a Panasonic. It did before and I was able to capture using Win DV.
    But now, it can't see the cams. I have changed the drivers but still no chnage.

I have another NEC 1394 card which did also work which I have in now, but it still cannot see the cams.

I see these on Amazon but what guarantee is that they will work with a driver?

https://www.amazon.com/firewire-video-capture/s?k=firewire+video+capture

What can I do to continue my captures if no card can be used with Win 10 and the latest updates?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I guess Windows 7 will be the only way to go, I have the latest update since they stopped support for Win7 and works fine with firewire, I can even run SCSI devices thru the expresscard on my laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes that sounds like a go however I am not sure how/if I can get 7 onto my box as I still need to keep 10 on it.
    I do have a 7 CD from when I first bought it but not sure if it is still okay as I may have upgraded to 10 fro it but not sure.

When this box boots up I am given a choice of 10 or a 'Previous Windows'. When I choose 'Previous nothing boots up so it seems there is no previous version there now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. One option is to use Linux (e.g Ubuntu) and capture with dvgrab, you don't even have to install the OS, you can run it off a USB stick (but capture to internal hdd). May be slightly daunting if you haven't used linux before, but may very well be easier than trying to set up a win7 + win10 dual boot. I think Ubuntu studio comes with dvgrab pre-installed on the live usb image, though it's readily available for install in most linux distributions.
    Last edited by oln; 17th Jun 2020 at 08:51.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I did get ubuntu Studio loaded onto a 32GB stick with dvgrab and Openshot and it is fine however I can't get dvgrab to see the cameras.

I have looked around at posts but am now so confused. Any clues please. I have a TI 1394 card in it but it seems like it either can't see it or the cams connected to it via Firewire cables.

Any help please?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ozstar100 View Post
    Thanks. I did get ubuntu Studio loaded onto a 32GB stick with dvgrab and Openshot and it is fine however I can't get dvgrab to see the cameras.

I have looked around at posts but am now so confused. Any clues please. I have a TI 1394 card in it but it seems like it either can't see it or the cams connected to it via Firewire cables.

Any help please?
    get one of these sata to usb adapters - https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-SATA-III-HDD-SSD-2-5-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Cable-22-P...MAAOSwF79dyOnz
    and a 2.5'' HDD/SSD put windows 7 on it and then you should be able to use your firewire card
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I have now bought one so we'll see if that does help.

In the meantine after a few cold boots dvgrab did work but then I now get this message.

Any ideas why?

Now I get this message..

Code:
    ubuntu-studio@ubuntu-studio:~$ dvgrab
    Found AV/C device with GUID 0x0080458011443010
    libiec61883 error: Failed to get channels available.
    Waiting for DV...
    Capture Started
    >>> Error writing frame!
    "dvgrab-008.dv":     0.00 MiB 0 frames timecode 00:00:15.24 date 2005.05.04 19:51:08
    Capture Stopped
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >'
    Aborted (core dumped)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I have read this before however it never fixed my 1394 driver problems. It seems that every Win 10 update it gets worse. I am on 1909 now and I can't even get the Legacy driver to install even when I right click on the file to install. Half the time it will not even pick up the card itself now. It's driving me nuts

I'm not sure how to change the driver in Linux or if I can or if will make a difference.

It would be good to know what the Linux dvrgrab error message means and how I can fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ozstar100 View Post
    Any ideas why?
    It looks like you're capturing to the temporary live partition ubuntu creates. Maybe that's why it crashes, I would try to run dvgrab from a folder on a hard-drive. You can browse to the hard drive with the file manager to mount them. Don't remember what file manager it uses, but on some you can start a terminal in the folder you are viewing from the right-click menu.

I usually use it with
    Code:
    -f qt
    (for mov format files) or
    Code:
    -f dv2
    (for DV AVI). You can also add
    Code:
    -rewind
    to auto-rewind to the start of the tape, unlike with windv, dvgrab will automatically start playing the tape by default.

Also make sure the camcorder is in VTR mode (applies to both windows and linux capture.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. yes that sounds chance. I'm thinking of installing Studio on it's own SSD hard drive tomorrow too, so that may also help. I'll post
    back then.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [QUOTE=ozstar100;2587334] Thank you. I have read this before however it never fixed my 1394 driver problems. It seems that every Win 10 update it gets worse. I am on 1909 now and I can't even get the Legacy driver to install even when I right click on the file to install. Half the time it will not even pick up the card itself now. It's driving me nuts [/QUOTE

For Windows: Device Manager Menu, Show hidden devices.
    Delete all 1394 devices you find. Then restart the computer.
    Quote Quote