VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

Was hoping one of you might be able to help with an issue that has started happening when trying to copy from my Virginmedia v6 box to an Avermedia 2 Plus recorder. Not something I do often but I do like to save off certain sporting event highlights.

Whenever the Avermedia is plugged in the tv screen goes blank & the Avermedia will not record. I also sometimes have to turn off/on the V6 using the power switch to get it working again. I’m assuming it is HDCP protection getting in the way but it was working about 6 months ago.

Setup
    Virginmedia v6 to HDMI 1 in/2 out Splitter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/iSolem-Switch-Splitter-Input-Output/dp/B006KZBC92/ref=sr_1_4?...er&tag=av0c-21)

Splitter connects to my Panasonic TV (https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4K-LED-TV/tx-43gx550b.html) and
    Avermedia 2 Plus recorder (https://www.avermedia.com/product-detail/GC513).

Any help gratefully received as it is really annoying me.

Thanks,

Stick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That splitter requires a usb power source. How are you providing that ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for taking the time to post ProWo. I have read a number of articles like that over the last fewweeks but am no closer to finding a HDMI splitter that works. That article appeared to be last updated quite a few years ago & the links are now dead or don't ship to UK. The strange thing is that it was working so I can only imagine that the VirginMedia V6 box has been updated to a more recent HDCP. I don't understand why that would stop the splitter from working though or how I can find out what HDCP version I now need a splitter to cope with.

I'm not t all technical in these matters so any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    That splitter requires a usb power source. How are you providing that ?
    Thanks DB83. Yes it does. I've tried a number of different adapters plugged into the mains supply. The one I thought most likely to work was a Daewoo adapter which has 2 5V/2.4Amp USB sockets on it. Would I need more than that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK usb sends 5 v/ 5 a to a device. The splitter surely should tell you the power it requires.

Have you ever had it working going in to both the tv and your capture device. To do so I guess you would have needed power then just as you would now. A blank screen over hdmi does suggest a lack of power down the cable. A split un-powered signal could well be too weak to serve both.

Amazon sells a power adapter that has a power switch and inter-changeable plugs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    AFAIK usb sends 5 v/ 5 a to a device. The splitter surely should tell you the power it requires.

Have you ever had it working going in to both the tv and your capture device. To do so I guess you would have needed power then just as you would now. A blank screen over hdmi does suggest a lack of power down the cable. A split un-powered signal could well be too weak to serve both.

Amazon sells a power adapter that has a power switch and inter-changeable plugs.
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Yes the splitter does say 5V on it. I did have it working in the past but that was probably with an older TV as I got a replacement in December & the last time it was working would have been before then.

I assume the power adapter you mentioned is something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOZOTMUniversal-Regulated-Switching-Replacement-Electronic/dp...2318545&sr=8-2 ? Do you think that would help as I'm already providing 5V from the USB port on the adapter I'm currently using?
    Last edited by SticklebackNe; 16th Jun 2020 at 11:04.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SticklebackNe View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Yes the splitter does say 5V on it. I did have it working in the past but that was probably with an older TV as I got a replacement in December & the last time it was working would have been before then.

I assume the power adapter you mentioned is something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOZOTMUniversal-Regulated-Switching-Replacement-Electronic/dp...2318545&sr=8-2 ? Do you think that would help as I'm already providing 5V from the USB port on the adapter I'm currently using?
    see here - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Transfering-archive-from-Virgin-V6-b...D/td-p/4076587
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. That is one of several similar adapters. I mentioned this since you had tried various ones which now appear not to have provided sufficient 'juice'. The usb cable as provided should suffience. But.........

I did ask earlier where you are providing the 5V from. Not from the tv I trust. A different model of tv should not make any difference and your tv gets a signal of the set-top box without the splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Yeah. That is one of several similar adapters. I mentioned this since you had tried various ones which now appear not to have provided sufficient 'juice'. The usb cable as provided should suffience. But.........

I did ask earlier where you are providing the 5V from. Not from the tv I trust. A different model of tv should not make any difference and your tv gets a signal of the set-top box without the splitter.
    No, not from the TV. It is using a Daewoo power adapter, the one with 5V / 2.4amp USB ports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But if I read - post #5 - right this adapter is a recent acquisition. What did you use to power the splitter when you had it working ?

If I read the USB spec correctly then for usb 2.0/3.00 the max load is 0.5/0.9 A. Only usb-c supports a higher ampage.

The cable provided typically gets its power from either a laptop port or a PC port.

I would try the obvious. Forget the splitter. Connect the set-top box direct to your capture device. Can you now see what you would normally see on the tv and transfer the recordings ? But I guess that will not work because the splitter should have bi-passed the HDCP.
    Last edited by DB83; 16th Jun 2020 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I might have had a 'senior' moment earlier. On particular your mention of usb on that Daewoo power adapter.

Can you post a link to that ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm just revisiting this after originally giving up & hadn't realised that you'd responded 6 months ago. Apologies. The Daewoo power adaptor is https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/daewoo-plug-adaptor-with-2-usb-ports-white?___store=rober...=ab-test-brand. Tried a couple of HDMI splitters since my original post but neither worked. Would really appreciate any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's roll back a few moments.

1. Is there actual visual evidence that your choice of power supply to the splitter is actually providing power ? ie does it light up ?
    2. An earlier question not AFAIK answered is does the splitter provide a picture to the tv over hdmi ?

There are conflicting reviews. Some say it works. Some say it does not. There are several threads on here about splitters. Unfortunately what might have worked in the past might no longer do so. The outer part may be the same but the inners will be different.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Cheers for the response. Yes, the hdmi splitter does have an led which comes on & yes, it does provide a picture to the TV. I've actually tried 2 splitters, both of which were previously noted as working the way I want. I actually now think it might be my avermedia device. I've a recollection of updating its drivers & maybe that has blocked the V6 box. I'll explore factory resets/earlier drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Got to the bottom of it. The memory card in the avermedia device was corrupted, apparently something that happens frequently if the card is removed while the device has power. Annoying it still worked in Pc mode but not pc-free mode. Reformatted card & all works.

Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to read that.

Still a useful thread for others seeking a splitter to bypass HDCP.
    Quote Quote