VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all. I have ripped some DVDs, but they are interlaced videos and I would like to fix this. I have successfully used AVISynth+ and the QTGMC and SRestore plugins on an HD interlaced source that was rather messed up, and the result was very nice. With these DVDs I'm not entirely sure what the best approach to deinterlacing them would be.

When ripping, I used MakeMKV, then I simply tried running the resultant MKV's thru AVISynth+ with this script which is based on the script I used for the HD video I mentioned (and that I cobbled together from reading posts on here):

Code:
    a=FFVideoSource("D:\vid.mkv")
    b=FFAudioSource("D:\vid.mkv")
    AudioDub(a,b)
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(Preset="Fast")
    It works well enough and produced a video that runs at 50FPS which seems OK, I can't see any issues with it but I'm ultimately just not entirely sure if I should do anything else to the video, if QTGMC is the right tool for the job or if having the result be running at 50FPS is OK or not.

Anyway to get to the point, it's Father Ted, PAL 25FPS Interlaced, TFF according to MediaInfo. I have created a sample of a few seconds using DGIndex:

ftsamp.m2v

Here's the relevant info reported by Mediainfo of the source:
    Code:
    Video
    ID                                       : 1
    ID in the original source medium         : 224 (0xE0)
    Format                                   : MPEG Video
    Format version                           : Version 2
    Format profile                           : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix                  : Default
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=9
    Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG2
    Codec ID/Info                            : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
    Duration                                 : 23 min 50 s
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 5 596 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 9 800 kb/s
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
    Standard                                 : PAL
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Interlaced
    Scan order                               : Top Field First
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.540
    Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed                         : Closed
    Stream size                              : 954 MiB (90%)
    Language                                 : English
    Default                                  : No
    Forced                                   : No
    I have three other shows that are PAL DVD and appear to be the same or similar to this one (in so much as they are 25FPS Interlaced) and I also have two NTSC DVDs but I'll focus on this one first as I expect what I learn with this I can apply to the others. Thanks for any help you can give!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's interlaced so you can bob it and call it a day. You can figure this out for yourself by bobbing and stepping through it in VDub. If you don't see any frame repeats or any blending, you can be fairly sure it's pure interlace.

Originally Posted by Xandros View Post
    I have three other shows that are PAL DVD and appear to be the same or similar to this one (in so much as they are 25FPS Interlaced)...
    Since virtually all PAL DVDs are encoded as interlaced, that doesn't mean much. If you're using MediaInfo to learn that, it's useless for the purpose. If you're saying all frames of all of them show interlacing, then you should still bob and look before deciding how to handle them.

And, personally, I'd use DGIndex to create the project file and then use MPEG2Source on them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the help. To elaborate, what I meant was I had stepped thru the source on each DVD and they all appeared to be the same, i.e. they all actually look to the naked eye like mostly every frame is interlaced and they all run at constant 25fps. Going through the frames with the bob filter active in Vdub as suggested does seem to show them to be coming out fine for all these PAL DVDs so I guess they are all pure interlaced as you put it. Generally I was unsure if I was doing it right mostly due to the previous experience with the HD video that was messed up and needless to say being new to all this I haven't quite got my head around the whole process of deinterlacing.

But in any case I'm assuming QTGMC did the job I wanted afterall; it bobbed the source and doubled the frame rate because of the 50hz fields and I hadn't told it to do otherwise - I can tell it to output 25fps if I want but would lose frames if I did plus it looks better at 50fps anyway. The NTSC DVDs will be next of course but I haven't gone into great depth with them. I don't think they'll be an issue except for the Futurama DVDs which I seem to recall are a mixed bag. I'll post again if I need help with them.
    Quote Quote