VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Where Can I Find Help on Repairing my Sony EV-S2000 8mm/hi8 VCR?

From about 25 minutes into playing one hour 8mm tapes, it plays fine. But before that run time, every so often the picture jumps and the audio cuts out.

I removed the tape transport and looked at it & found something that appears to adjust the tension on the supply reel however adjusting that never helped. The back tension pad looks to my eye to be ok for whatever that is worth.

I just assumed the problem is a tape back-tension but I'm not positive it is.

Thanks very much for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do the picture jumps and the audio cuts out happen on all tapes
    or just certain ones ?? sounds like a bad tape.
    Quote Quote  
  3. All tapes and I've tried at least a dozen from my 8mm video library.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No one knows where you live, so how can you expect us to show you the nearest repair shop to you ??? Besides, It would cost you more to repair it than just buy another used one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Let me clarify.

I would like to try to fix my Sony EV-S2000 8mm/hi8 deck myself and to help with that, I'm trying to find people who are very familiar with repairing this unit or substantially similar units some questions and get some guidance. It's my hope that my problem is a common well known problem and an experienced repairman could tell me what the problem most likely is and how to fix it if it is something fairly easy that I could do myself without needing specialized equipment.

However, if you might happen to know where I could buy either a camcorder or vcr deck that would play back 8mm video with high quality and that doesn't cost a fortune, please by all means suggest where I should look. Any recommendations for camcorders or decks that have particularly high playback quality compared to average equipment (if there are any) would be very much appreciated. I only care about 8mm video tape playback quality because my project is solely to convert existing 8mm video tapes to digital files to be archived on hard drive.

A lot of sellers on Ebay are asking around $400 to $500 for Sony EV-S2000 decks which I consider to be an unacceptably high price for something that is used, really old, obsolete, and is something I would have no long term use for.

I shot all the 8mm video using a Sony CCD-TR700 8mm/hi8 camcorder which failed and so I no longer have it.

What I do remember from about 10 to 15 years ago is that I played back some of these videos on my Sony EV-S2000 deck and also on my Sony DCR-TR7000 D8 camcorder and I could see more video noise in the picture when using the Sony D8 camcorder. It wasn't bad enough to make the video unwatchable, but I did not have to strain to notice the noise. Have you had similar experience where you have found the overall video quality of a D8 camera playing back 8mm video to be noticeably worse than when actual 8mm equipment played it back?

I just got the free version of Davinci Resolve. Do you believe there is a decent chance that it has noise reduction that might eliminate such video noise?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You would not get any better quality from a deck than from a good D8/Hi8 camcorder with built line TBC, DNR and S-Video output (not any camcorder), Such home decks were made for accurate editing which no one does nowadays, The price for those decks is mostly sentimental now and maybe the looks. Yes good camcorders are slightly expensive but they are nowhere near the price of a home deck.
    Quote Quote