VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. If the aspect ratio of my clip is 4:3 (according to the video stream info from DGIndex), then why does AVSPmod change that to another A.R automatically once the video loads? Like it stretches it horizontally. And how is this solved? I checked out the resize calculator and it's telling me that the aspect ratio is 8:9. And then there's the configure button within that option, which further confuses me. Please advise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does AVSpmod display the actual pixels? Avisynth served frames don't really have any A/R flagging
    as far as I know
    Quote Quote  
  3. Avspmod shows the video that it gets from AviSynth pixel-for-pixel. So a 720x480 DVD frame will show up as 720x480, 3:2 aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Except my DVD is 4:3, and Avspmod is showing it as 8:9, and displaying it as such. What gives?

And aren't 720X480 DVDs 4:3? Where did you get 3:2 from?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Avspmod is showing the frame as 3:2 display aspect ratio (720:480 = 3:2). The pixel aspect ratio (or more properly sampling aspect ratio) for 4:3 DVD is 8:9.

Code:
    4:3 = 720:480 * 8:9
    NTSC DVD is 4:3 or 16:9 DAR. Both use 720x480 frames. PAL DVD is 4:3 or 16:9 DAR. Both use 720x576 frames.

Avisynth works with pixels (720x480) and avspmod shows you those pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Avisynth works with pixels (720x480) and avspmod shows you those pixels.

Ok, so here's the rundown and tell me if I'm right:

1) The DVD player is showing me the D.A.R., hence what I'm seeing is 4:3

2) Avspmod is showing me the P.A.R., and in this case, I'm seeing 8:9

Yes?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Avspmod is showing you the frame as square pixel (1:1). Each pixel of the DVD image corresponds to one pixel on your monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So why is it that when I rip the DVD and play it, it looks narrower, but the moment I create an index file and load the d2v into AVSpmod, it looks wider?
    Quote Quote  
  9. When you play the DVD the pixels are squished or stretched to create the display aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ...while AVsPmod shows me the image by the pixel aspect ratio, and not the display aspect ratio (hence the stretched look) correct?
    Quote Quote  
  11. ....drumroll****

come on jaggy, sweetheart, don't fail me now.....*drumroll****
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    ...while AVsPmod shows me the image by the pixel aspect ratio, and not the display aspect ratio (hence the stretched look) correct?
    No.
    SAR. storage aspect.
    DAR and SAR are AR (all pixels must have AR, so there really is no "pixel AR", though default SAR/DAR is usually 1:1, and I'm not aware of any non-1:1 pixel)

Terms can matter.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    ....drumroll****

You're being silly and it's not funny. Nor is this rocket science. What you see in DGIndex and in AvsPMod is how it's stored on the DVD. 720x480, square pixel. Everyone looks slightly fat. What you see when playing the DVD is the 4:3 DAR DVD resized for playback.. Think of it as being resized to 640x480 for watching.

When reencoding you can either resize it yourself, perhaps to 640x480, or you can set the 8:9 SAR in the container so it plays back in the proper aspect ratio. Unless you're just making another DVD in which case you set it again for 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You're being silly and it's not funny.
    Oh pipe down, Mr. Almighty, have a Cognac and a Camel! I have a right to be silly, and I choose to exercise it, so cool your heels.

Nor is this rocket science
    Actually, after you explained so simply...it really isn't! But jagabo confused me. He's just a mean, mean man using mean, mean terms!

What you see in DGIndex and in AvsPMod is how it's stored on the DVD. 720x480, square pixel. Everyone looks slightly fat. What you see when playing the DVD is the 4:3 DAR DVD resized for playback.. Think of it as being resized to 640x480 for watching.
    That pretty much answers all of my questions.

Thank you gentlemen, your work here is done.

Hiya Smurfy!
    Quote Quote  
  15. The problem with some folks here (and I emphasize SOME) is that their knowledge literally goes to their head, and they think that they can just talk to people any old way, forgetting that not everyone has that same level of knowledge. Unfortunately, there are many ass-kissers who frequent this site and contribute to this crap.

I, for one, am NOT one of those ass kissers. I give credit where it's due and can thank a person, but I won't ever put anyone here on a pedestal. To be fair, sometimes jagabo has been a tremendous help. In this case, he kinda wasn't. Manono jumped in and became my knight in shining....whatever it is that he wears. But I'm not going to pay him emotional fellatio for it neither, as I've seen others do.

So thank you jagabo for trying. Thank you Smurfy for partially answering my question, and thank you Manono for clarifying the whole thing in a short few words.

Good night gentlemen.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Video is put on the DVD as 720x480 and played back at 640x480 by your DVD player. 720x480 is not 4:3 ratio. Its changed to that 4:3 640x480 ratio on playback in a player via information written in the disc for the player. It will change 720x480 into 16:9 as 853x480 on playback as well.
    You want to see it in its proper aspect ratio in the previewer, then simply add a resizer in the script and make it 640x480 which is 4:3. It's not going to load that way in avspmod unless you do that because its going to show exactly what its working with and what changes you make via the script writing. Avspmod is not a media or physical media player that reads disc information and resizes the video, its a raw video editor.

Code:
    LanczosResize(640,480)
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 12th Jun 2020 at 20:29.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    Oh pipe down, Mr. Almighty, have a Cognac and a Camel! I have a right to be silly, and I choose to exercise it, so cool your heels.
    This is how you end up with no answers on here for anything you ask, and people disliking you. These kinda sites users, usually have no patience for that behavior, and take things way too seriously. You are just going to have to get used to it. Took me a while to get used to it when I first tried doom9 in 2006 lol. People on Doom9 might not even talk to you or you may be banned if it were on there.

The people on here tend to also be much less patient after years and years of repeating themselves, and what looks like people not putting in any effort what so ever to learn even the basics before asking for information. Most people don't seem to even try research before asking things that are answered all over the place, and you may get what seems like grumpy replies that you feel to be mean because they have about had it with people seemingly putting in no effort beforehand. You may also see less interest in even replying as well, if it takes too much explaining and there was already easy to find answers in other places like google or older threads. Not everyone is into wasting their time on people who do not appear to put in much effort and sometimes those grumpy replies you get, can make that obvious.

For instance, it sounds like you are trying to work on DVD encoding, yet you also sound like you don't even know the basics of aspect ratio's or anything about the DVD format, which is very important thing to understand. This in turn might make some people feel like your lazy, and they don't want to waste their time on you. Especially when all of that information is easily accessible, had you just used google and took the time to do some reading. So you either get no reply, or a reply that you may find to be mean, rushed, or minimally helpful. They just don't have the patience for it after so many years of putting up with it and and so many people. There are still a few users with a sense of humor out there though, so you having one isn't a bad thing lol.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 13th Jun 2020 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Just to be clear, the DVD player doesn't literally digitally resize the 720x480 frame to 640x480 (or ~853x480). At the analog outputs it just outputs the 720x480 frame at the same same 13.5 MHz sampling rate at which it was captured. At the non-upscaled digital outputs it sends a 270x480 frame. At the upscaled digital outputs it upscales the 720x480 frame directly to the requested output size, keeping the display aspect ratio. So, for exampe, a 4:3 DVD is upscaled from 720x480 to 1440x1080 and padded with pillarbox bars to make it 1920x1080. A 16:9 DVD is upscaled from 720x480 to 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    ....drumroll****
    You're being silly and it's not funny.
    Oh, I don't know -- sometimes silly is appreciated.

have a Cognac and a Camel! I have a right to be silly, and I choose to exercise it
    That gave me a chuckle. Reminds me of a line from a B&W 50s movie.

Thank you gentlemen, your work here is done.
    Hiya Smurfy!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Oh, gohan you silly goose, you.

I can't tell if you're being um...."butthurt" by my answer to Manono or if you really care about me! *bats eyelashes*
    Quote Quote  
  21. You may also see less interest in even replying as well, if it takes too much explaining and there was already easy to find answers in other places like google or older threads.
    Gohan, I'm afraid you're right. I have to admit that, because what's out there on this stuff is too overwhelming sometimes, it's easier to just come here and ask these trivial questions. I can see how it gets annoying after a while. But the truth is, I really should have been doing this legwork myself on the basic information. I feel like an idiot---and I should. I'm sorry guys. Can you take me back? (still going to be silly though, I'm not compromising that).

Gohan, I took your advice and I've found quite a very old gem on this site which answers all of my questions about this stuff--and then some! Take a look. I did my research. I'm a good boy now, so give a guy a break.

Smurfy, talk to 'em.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/120047-Determining-Aspect-Ratios-and-Resolutions
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not really necessary to know all this, DVDs are a thing of the past anyway. There are tools that can help with it, like detecting it automatically and making all the calculations, basic understanding OK, but calculating this manually, no thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. DVDs are a thing of the past anyway
    Yeah- until the source you're working with IS DVD. Then it's suddenly a thing of the present.

There are tools that can help with it, like detecting it automatically and making all the calculations
    Tell me more!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of tools for obvious reason.
    Quote Quote  
  25. What the hell kind of an answer is that? I didn't ask you if you had "alot of experience" with "alot of tools", you said that there are tools now that can do that for you, and I asked you which ones.

AVsPmod is one of them, as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What the hell kind of an answer is that? I didn't ask you
    Sometimes there's a fine line between being silly, and being an ass. You just crossed it. Please back up some, on the silly side of line.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    What the hell kind of an answer is that? I didn't ask you
    Sometimes there's a fine line between being silly, and being an ass. You just crossed it. Please back up some, on the silly side of line.
    Not only do I agree with Lordsmurf about that being an ass reply, but technically you didn't ask them anything. Nowhere in that reply did you ask "which tools". All you said was "Tell me more!" That's not asking them anything specific at all.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Just to be clear, the DVD player doesn't literally digitally resize the 720x480 frame to 640x480 (or ~853x480).
    Ok, I get that. It upscales.

At the analog outputs it just outputs the 720x480 frame at the same same 13.5 MHz sampling rate at which it was captured.
    Yes, but the frame is displayed at 640X480, but STORED as 720X480.

At the non-upscaled digital outputs it sends a 720x480 frame.
    Meaning, it sends the wider-looking version, not the squished-looking version.

At the upscaled digital outputs it upscales the 720x480 frame directly to the requested output size, keeping the display aspect ratio.
    a 4:3 DVD is upscaled from 720x480 to 1440x1080 and padded with pillarbox bars to make it 1920x1080

So what we've got here is a film recorded at 720X480 but upscaled to whatever the playing device is asking it to upscale to, for viewing.

Did I get this correct?
    Quote Quote  
  29. *crosses fingers*
    Quote Quote  
  30. Actually I don't give a damn if I got it correct or not. I've got the documentation and I'll study it myself and take notes. I'm tired of coming here for the validation of snobs who don't know how to explain things in laymen's terms.

And in case a person who's new to this stuff just so happens to run into this page, here you go. I dug this up from this forum actually, and it's from 2003. Yes a long time ago, but the information is obviously the same. And on a plus side, it's from an era where people actually broke things like this down in ways all can understand. Enjoy

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/120047-Determining-Aspect-Ratios-and-Resolutions

Go ahead, I bet there's going to be some arrogant snob here who's even going to argue with THAT well-prepared document. Because people here just can't resist not putting in the last word.
    Last edited by Betelman; 18th Jun 2020 at 17:06.
    Quote Quote