VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay this might sound odd but here goes.

(1) I buy cheap fitness DVD's from my local dollar store where everything is ($1.00) and I have over 20 DVD's that I want to rip to my laptop and than store onto a flash drive. So this way I can play the videos on all my computers even the ones without DVD Drives or even on tablets with usb ports.

(2) I want to copy or rip the DVD's as they are for example when I Right Click on the DVD Drive I see play with VLC media player. Currently in laptop is a DVD called "Reebok Bootcamp" and the menu says "Bootcamp Workout", "Bootcamp Express", "Customize Your Workout". And then last is Bonus: Bootcamp Full Body Blast".

I just clicked on "Customize Your Workout" and to use this you need to select with exercise you want to do in which order and so forth. I'm not worried about that part I just want the longer full workout videos.

So here is the thing I want to know?

What is the best free program to use to rip the DVD's and be able to keep each video file as a whole video file and not need to combine them later. I want to be able to click the video file and have it play the whole workout for me without needing to place the parts of the videos into a playlist and keep them like that.

"Bootcamp Workout" is 1 video and "Bootcamp Express" is 1 video but "Customize Your Workout" is 6 video parts you put in your own order. And Bootcamp Full Body Blast" is 1 video. I want the full videos to remain full videos but I don't want to save the little video clips to customize my workout.

Is this at all possible?

Plus is there a way to make the videos a different file format so that way I can save a bit of room on my flash drive since I do have a couple of DVD's I wish to copy to as few flash drives as possible. Plus what would be the best file format to use.

I know I'm asking a lot here but I'm still kind of new to all this.

Thank You to all that help me on my way to decluttering my DVD collection.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You use the word "rip" so you're just asking to decrypt the DVD to the hard drove, minus any encryption. Use DVDDecrypter unless the DVD has advanced copy protection. If it does, then you use DVD Fab.

As for shrinking the overall size, once on the hard drive you might use DVDShrink. It will also allow you to remove parts of the DVD you don't want. If converting to a different format, then you'll lose everything you're asking to keep.

Of course, keeping it as a DVD will require that your devices be able to play DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want the menus and extra stuff just the (3) main video files and since these (3) video files are 1 video each I don't want to worry about putting the video files back together. And once the videos are copied or ripped or what ever its called I want each video to be named the same as it is on the DVD. For example I want to have a folder on my flash drive called "Reebok Bootcamp" and then inside the folder have (3) videos each one named after the workout on the DVD. And then once the video files are on the computer I would like to convert them to a smaller file size but not loss to much quality from the video. I would like to make them into a video file format that can play on VLc media player on my tablet and my (2) computers.

I don't want the dvd features and stuff just the videos for the workouts. Since I will just click the video to play it and not use a mouse or remote or something to skip parts I will play each video on its own. I am not worried about losing the DVD stuff I just want the video files not the menus and extra stuff. I do want the audio of course and the video but I want them on (1) file.

I don't want to have to worry about needing to edit the files in a movie maker and have to add the audio file to the video file. I hope this makes sense. If not just comment below. Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to manually assign names to the individual video files and the folder containing them. The menu titles and names of selections that appear on menus are only stored as graphics and are not readable by ripping programs.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by CosmoQueen View Post
    I have over 20 DVD's that I want to rip to my laptop and than store onto a flash drive.
    Originally Posted by CosmoQueen View Post
    I want to copy or rip the DVD's as they are
    That's what you said. But it seems that's not what you really want. DVDDecrypter can also decrypt by PGC (meaning by the DVD's various titles) if set up in File Mode (not the default). Or, with the entire DVD on the hard drive, PGCDemux can isolate the various parts. If some of the videos you want are divided into multiple parts, those parts can be joined together using something like MPEG2Cut2.

You can get VOBs or MPGs back without doing any reencoding, thus keeping full quality. If you wish to convert to MKV or MP4 with different audio and video inside and at a smaller size, maybe VidCoder will do the job for you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would try dvdfab first, because those workout dvds can be problematic.
    because they are mass produced and loaded with errors
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used DVD Shrink and now I have a folder called "Reebok_Bootcamp" and inside this folder I have (2) folder (1) is called AUDIO_TS and the (2) is called VIDEO_TS Then I have some files called VIDEO_TS.BUP and VIDEO_TS IFO Other File (VLC) then files called VTS_01_0 IFO Other File (VLC) and then VTS_01_1 VOB Video File (VLC) and then VTS _01_2 VOB Video File (VLC).

Now how would I do this just watch each VOB file to see what it is actually called and then rename each of the VOB files the actual video parts from the actual DVD. And what would be the best file type to convert these file types into without losing much quality and still have a smaller file.

Plus do I need to keep any of the other stuff since I just want the videos and not the other stuff.

I hope this makes sense. I just want select videos also just the full workouts I don't need the 5 or 6 single workout videos that you put together on the DVD to make your own workout. I just want the video to watch not the actual menus and stuff. I hope I can get this done correctly without a lag in the audio and such. Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the individual VOBs contain what you want and only what you want, and don't go over to other VOBs as well, then, yes, you can delete the rest and use those VOBs as a source for reencoding. I already suggested VidCoder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never heard of VidCoder before hopefully I can figure it out pretty simply if not I will need to find some easy to follow tutorials or watch some YouTube videos. Hopefully I can get all this done and then delete the extra stuff once I get all the files renamed and in the correct folders and such. I will give it a try though. Thank You!

I will reply with the end results and let everyone know what is going on. Just in case I have issues or other questions.

Thanks Again!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay another question I noticed when I played the 01 and 02 VOB files I noticed there for the same video part (1) is 01 and part (2) is 02 and I want to play them as 1 video not 2 video files. What is the best way to combine the 2 video files. Should I use a movie maker and put the pieces together or is there a program that can put them together for me. OR what should I do about this. There should only be (3) workout videos or (3) movie files. But there are a few and I want to make them into just (3) and then have them named after each of there main videos from the DVD. So I want 1 file called "Bootcamp Workout", "Bootcamp Express" and then "Bootcamp Bonus : Full Body Blast. " And then I want them to be saved in (1) folder on the flash drive called "Reebok Bootcamp". And that is how I am trying to figure out how to do this.

So now I need to merge the video files ether with a movie maker or is there a program that can merge the 2 files for me.

Plus What is a good file format to use with VidCoder to save the Video files into. Plus dose anyone know of a good tutorial to use for VidCoder. I trier looking on youtube but could not find anything that made sense to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are happy to have the main movie as one file and all the extras as separate files by far the easiest and quickest way to do it is with MakeMKV. No menu's etc just the video files.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    If you are happy to have the main movie as one file and all the extras as separate files by far the easiest and quickest way to do it is with MakeMKV. No menu's etc just the video files.
    This is something I would like to try and do since I will start the video and need it to play start to finish depending on which video I want to play. I don't need or want to deal with menus since I will more then likely be playing them from my laptop connected to my 32" TV and not from a actual DVD player with remote control. I just want to click play and start the full video that I want to watch and not deal with menus and such.

I will look into this program more thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by CosmoQueen View Post
    Should I use a movie maker and put the pieces together...
    No, because in the process it will reencode and degrade the quality when all you are asking is to join them. I don't use VidCoder, although it's well thought of here, but it should be able to open those VOBs together before reencoding them for MP4 or MKV or whatever. However, if you just want to join those 2 VOBs, you can use VOB2MPEG or MPEG2Cut2. They'll both give you back MPGs.

At the bottom of the VidCoder page are links to guides for its use.
    Last edited by manono; 12th Jun 2020 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you want to do, CosmoQueen, the "easiest" method to get the individual files you want would be following netmask56's suggestion to use MakeMKV for the whole job. It contains its own decrypter which should work with this type of DVD, but instead of making confusing DVD files it re-formats all the separate workouts into a collection of standard PC-video MKV files. All you would need to do is rename these files to match what they are on the DVD menu, and organize them in folders in a way thats most convenient for you to find on your devices.

The files will be the same size as each dvd, but perhaps a little smaller in total if you delete/trash anything thats of no interest (bonus videos, etc). Any device you attach your thumbdrive to would need to be able to play MKV files: just make sure each is loaded with VLC or a similar player and you should be good to go.

If getting the files much smaller is really important, you could first rip the DVDs with DVD Shrink using a setting to make the rip smaller than actual DVD size. Then open the VIDEO_TS folder created by DVD Shrink in MakeMKV, and it will create correspondingly smaller-sized MKV files for you.

I would avoid fooling around with vidcoder and other reformatting tools if at all possible.
    Quote Quote