VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I've been battling to get some tapes captured for a long while now and have gotten to a point where I'm mostly happy however my inner perfectionist is still annoyed at the ghosting I'm getting on the right hand side of certain elements in the tapes. I thought it maybe the sharpening on the deck or the procamp in the tbc but I've set these down to their minimum on the deck and tbc which got rid of some artefacts but still the ghost lines remain. I was thinking perhaps it was just the way the tapes were recorded in the first place but I've tried multiple sources which were shot on completely different cameras & decks and still get similar problems. The VHSfixoversharp filter in avisynth did help a little when I tried it but not keen on the amount of blur it introduced to the rest of the shot so just wondering if anyone could enlighten me on methods to rid this issue. My setup is as follows Sony EV-S9000E>S-video into CTB-100>S-video into DMR-ES15>Component AJA Kona ProRes 10bit. I've attached some stills below of the issue these are taken from a deinterlaced version and please ignore the lack of contrast as I capture them flat and stretch all these colors in resolve afterwards.

Stills:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/bLta5kDGL9VdLEF9dOLPnAnGs2VpZJtrGUuYLnDKgja
    Quote Quote  
  2. Page 37 of your manual: make sure the Edit button is ON.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/598290/Sony-Ev-S900.html?page=37#manual

The edit button or switch on most VCRs defeats the built-in sharpening. This sharpening was supposed to make the video look better by adding a halo around everything (it used a simple peaking capacitor circuit). You absolutely want to sharpening turned off. By turning the edit function ON, you turn the sharpening off.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 10th Jun 2020 at 20:23. Reason: added link
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi John,

Thanks very much for the response, have tried a capture with the edit mode on which seems to replicate the image that I was getting when I turned the sharpening down to minus which does fix the halo to a certain extent but then introduces significant blur and colour bleed instead. The image even after post sharpening seems to loose some detail as well so I'm not sure things are necessarily better off. I've uploaded comparatives below, if you look around the yellow and pink coat on the left and near the old ladies neck there is some colour bleed occurring:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/eOAkV2HLoc33X22p6Idpy2fnNKi2WS5jEZVz3sEctre
    Quote Quote  
  4. My guess is that the image really isn't blurred, but instead simply is not "sharpened." You are probably reacting to that loss of the very halos you don't like, but which do give you an illusion of more detail. You can tell by looking for an actual loss of detail.

You most definitely want to eliminate that over-simplistic sharpening circuit but then, if you think the result looks too soft, you can use sophisticated sharpening after you have captured. Modern, software-based sharpening is capable of doing things that an analog sharpening circuit could even dream of doing, and with far fewer artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Actually I've had a chance to look at it more closely and I think you are right, the bleed I was seeing I think may actually be the original colours, just that the sharpening had muted quite a lot in the scene. I've done a longer clip and thrown it through resolve added sharpening etc and done the usual NR on a clip I've already done previously and it does look better. I'm going to set a whole tape running on these settings tomorrow and give it a full view under the microscope but I do think that may have done the trick! Many thanks John.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There are plugins, like CNR2, that sometimes can help with color bleed. Some of the gurus here can also help with consumer video color issues by giving you some script fragments that operate only on the chroma channel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Color bleed is often mere offset, correctable in Avisynth.
    Any residual bleed can generally be fixed fixed with CCD 1.7 in VirtualDub.

But from the samples, bleed is the least problem I see.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tend to stick with Virtualdub if I can for corrections as I've always had issue with avisynth playing ball with high end formats. Would you say the bleed is only fully correctable via avisynth? I can revisit avisynth if its absolutely necessary. Whats the other issues in your opinion? Bear in mind this is the raw capture so I've not touched anything other than a bob deinterlace through qgtmc for a clearer still view. I do run through and do a full scene by scene colour correction and noise reduction and audio cleanup so not worried on that side but tape artifacts is an area that isn't my major strong point so more I can look out for the better.
    Quote Quote