VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello friends,
    Due to lack of space...i decided to delete some files... but dont want to delete vids...
    so decided to compress..... convert some vids into HEVC.. x265 format as they are in x264

but which is the best way to convert it in that format..without loosing too much quality..
    as i try to encode 1080p file into 880p resolution thru avidemux....
    400mb size finish in 171mb size....
    13 mins clip only it was .... taken 40mins.... So if i try 30mins clips than.... hrssss

any way to do it little more fast thru avidemux ( some better settings) or by any other soft which do the job in better way....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The encoding speed is mostly contingent on the capabilities of the computer (CPU & RAM)
    and the encoder settings.
    Just choose one of the faster presets x265, eg. "very fast"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Of course, the slower settings exist for a reason -- they deliver better quality, better compression, or a combination of the two.

I don't know what processor or graphics card you have but if you have one with a hardware encoder you could try using a program that supports it. The hardware encoders can be much faster but they don't deliver as good quality (per bitrate). But that may be sufficient for your purposes. Try Handbrake, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Keep your x264 videos and buy an external usb3 HD with 2TB.
    Reencoding you will lost quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    The encoding speed is mostly contingent on the capabilities of the computer (CPU & RAM)
    and the encoder settings.
    Just choose one of the faster presets x265, eg. "very fast"
    i never ever try this very fast thing... will check it...Hope quality of vid dont fall down too much
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Keep your x264 videos and buy an external usb3 HD with 2TB.
    Reencoding you will lost quality.
    already have 1TB of 2 drives...
    yes in re-encode quality effects..but if done in proper settings than its adjustable quality
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Of course, the slower settings exist for a reason -- they deliver better quality, better compression, or a combination of the two.

I don't know what processor or graphics card you have but if you have one with a hardware encoder you could try using a program that supports it. The hardware encoders can be much faster but they don't deliver as good quality (per bitrate). But that may be sufficient for your purposes. Try Handbrake, for example.
    me trying a 40 mins clip and its 2hrs... 84% finish...shows more 20min..dammm it taking tooo much time to convert in This HEVC format.
    In x264 it would have taken 30mins.

me using i3 3210 3.20ghz :/

is this handbrake good than avidemux... as i have very old bad experience with this soft....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Your i3 3210 doesn't have a hardware h.265 encoder. Handbrake will end up using the x265 encoder, just like Avidemux. Though, in my experience, Handbrake is much more reliable than Avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your i3 3210 doesn't have a hardware h.265 encoder. Handbrake will end up using the x265 encoder, just like Avidemux. Though, in my experience, Handbrake is much more reliable than Avidemux.
    if want to update the hardware..which one should go... for little better speed in encoding this 265.. i5 will work
    Quote Quote  
  10. Get a new external hardisk instead and you do not need to do anything.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by prithvi View Post
    yes in re-encode quality effects..but if done in proper settings than its adjustable quality
    Recompressing with a more efficient codec (knowing what you're doing) MAY have a sense, sometimes (even if it's NOT always advisable)..

But reducing resolution from 1080p to 880p is only a VERY DESTRUCTIVE process that will, inevitably, do a lot of damage to the source files, quality wise.
    Quote Quote