VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. .mp4 plays audio only...sux. I am hoping you can help.

Started with .mov file made with iMovie. Here is the media info

When coverting to mp4 using ffmpeg, the resulting file will not play in quicktime or in a Firefox. It does, however, play in vlc on mac.

Here is the ffmepg command used:
    HTML Code:
     ffmpeg -i stats_on_police.mov -vcodec h264 -acodec aac stats_on_police.mp4
    Media info for .mp4 file

The videoless mp4 is at this link: https://legacy-systems.biz/longview2500/topics/2020_race_riots/stats_on_genocide/img/s..._on_police.mp4
    Last edited by carlarogers; 8th Jun 2020 at 09:33. Reason: Corrected the ffmpeg command used.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Strange. You used the parameter -vcodec copy, but ffmpeg converted from ProRes to AVC anyway. Same for the audio: PCM to AAC, despite -acodec copy. I doubt you told us the correct parameters.

The reason why the video is not visible is probably that it was encoded in High Profile 4:2:2, but most media players only support a 4:2:0 AVC profile (Main or High).
    Quote Quote  
  3. The video is 10 bit AVC and uses 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. Both of those can be problematic for some players.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Strange. You used the parameter -vcodec copy, but ffmpeg converted from ProRes to AVC anyway. Same for the audio: PCM to AAC, despite -acodec copy. I doubt you told us the correct parameters.

The reason why the video is not visible is probably that it was encoded in High Profile 4:2:2, but most media players only support a 4:2:0 AVC profile (Main or High).
    I am sorry, I thought I corrected my post. The ffmpeg command was:
    Code:
    Are there adjustments to the ffmpeg command that will correct the problem.

I appreciate your knowledge on this subject.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The video is 10 bit AVC and uses 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. Both of those can be problematic for some players.
    Can that be corrected by adjusting the ffmpeg command? btw, I put the wrong ffmeg comamnd in the OP, which I have edited to reflect the command I used, which was

HTML Code:
    Quote Quote  
  6. Add -vf "format=yuv420p" to your command line after the input file spec.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i stats_on_police.mov -vf "format=yuv420p" -vcodec h264 -acodec aac stats_on_police.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Add -vf "format=yuv420p" to your command line after the input file spec.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i stats_on_police.mov -vf "format=yuv420p" -vcodec h264 -acodec aac stats_on_police.mp4
    Sorry for the slow response. This solution worked perfectly.

Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote