VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Just wondering if you had any reviews of the velocap suite of capture devices? What is the best cheap capture card (usb or PCI-e) from your experience? Obviously, I am not looking for 4K capturing just hoping to get better than DVD quality captures, maybe 1080p if I am lucky?

Cheers,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Also does anyone have a review of the AVerMedia GL310 Live Gamer Portable Lite Capture Device
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing what, exactly?
    Video games?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is games are to be captured, or streamed, but there are better gamer forums which can answer these kind of questions better, sometimes HDCP needs to be switched off, or hacked.
    The Elgato CamLink is very populair for that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was hoping to capture a bit of everything, I would like to ideally capture a Chromecast output as well as some PS3 games but really primarily a chromecast output as I have purchased movies with google play movies and would like to watch them in HD on my PC (720p is okay) but they don't allow it. Also do you know of any HDCP removing devices, a lot of the ones that I thought might work have been removed from sale.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you will run into HDCP problems, you should use an audio extractor like the MINI HDMI2HDMI, (white little box) it has HDMI in and out, and will strip the HDCP in the process. it works for me, and other people too.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers/page16
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 9th Jun 2020 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks very much,
    I cannot seem to find a place to purchase the audio extractor, do you have a link? Also, will this work with a chromecast device? What recording device do you use?
    Thanks very much for your help
    Quote Quote  
  8. Cheers,
    Thanks for the link, I couldn't find one anywhere and they ship to Australia which is even better. Just wondering if you can confirm what HDCP version this will work up to? Will it work with a standard 1080p Chromecast? What is your favourite capture card/device?
    Anyone used any velocap products?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I used to use this, and a previous model too:
    https://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hdpvr2-gaming.html

External box. It overheats to f**k and I ended up using it on its side with a 140mm fan ziptied to it. I capture mainly sports broadcasts so a 4 hour + show caused me more grey hairs than a 20 year marriage. This external box has the added influence of a USB connection too, as I would imagine all ext do (?) - just something else in the equation to go wrong.

I now use the Elgato HD60 Pro card. Internal.
    https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60-pro

Not for any gameplay though, purely for TV recording from cable TV source. And yes I too use a HDMI splitter to 'remove' the HDCP. I don't think there is a concerted effort to remove splitters from the market - unless I am very much mistaken. Its always been a hit 'n miss affair as to which ones work and which don't. I don't see an agenda here.

I also have a friend who 'capps' and his splitter bought from Amzn failed after 18mths, and so he did the Amzn 'buy again' option from his orders profile for the exact 'same' model, and the new one worked, but didn't strip the HDCP. So obviously the splitter internal chips/circuitry are sourced from just about anywhere.

My only issue with the Elgato is the software, which is geared towards gaming, but does some stupid things, too. The card is excellent and more than adequate for my needs. (I haven't got a 2160p monitor or a 2160p TV). The bundled software is utter garbage and I use only OBS now. (I can enlarge on this if necessary).
    Last edited by codehound; 11th Jun 2020 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Good to know, I had been looking at some hauppauge products. Does your setup work with a Chromecast? I had looked at Elgato products but they all seemed rather pricey so I had been hoping for some cheaper alternatives.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is that you still need to defeat HDCP in any case scenario, also different HDMI versions can make a big difference, you need to check/do research in that field.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yeah that is my concern. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find which HDCP version the standard chromecast is compatible with. What version is your HDMI audio splitter compatible with? Have you tried it with a Chromecast. I have read that this HDMI capture device is compatible with HDCP v1.4 but who knows:
    https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Recorder-Streaming-Nintendo-Compatible/dp/B073WJ2XTZ/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In this case it comes down that you must avoid the newer/higher versions HDMI, this info is already available in the forums, and the gaming forums can inform you better on this, i have not much experience with this, i google for it, and what i found for my situation, also worked.
    i also tried a HDMI cloner but that did not work for me, and it needs a special "procedure" which makes it also sensitive for failure.
    (If you can capture through component video, you should do that, because there's no copy protection through this connection. and it also supports the higher resolutions. be aware that both sides should support the resolutions available before buying)
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 14th Jun 2020 at 16:36.
    Quote Quote