VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    It may be premature to panic just 6 days past expiration of the last rolling, recurrent free license key for the perpetually-in-beta MakeMKV, one of the truly great video enthusiast programs to come along. (Arguably deserving a spot in the pantheon alongside other notables like DVD Shrink and ImgBurn. Several of those also reached their end on development, yet still manage to serve us.) I see that reviewers here are already breaking out their shovels to bury it, and I want to say "Not So Fast !" But at the moment there seems to just be speculation, rather than facts. If you happen to know something for sure, please tell us.

In the meantime, I left this query at the MakeMKV forum:

"Trying not to go by rumors, but rather hoping to get the authoritative answer: Has development ceased ? Have we reached the end of the road on MakeMKV ? I was on the verge of purchasing a license. If that last 1.15.1 version can continue working just as it did (with benefit of a full, current license key), it probably still would be worth my purchasing the permanent license. It would then join a number of other programs that may not be capable of addressing future challenges, but can still be useful for a goodly number of jobs where the tech that it had was still effective."

There was nothing else remaining that is quite like MakeMKV. That said, I think there is still an option or two for ripping BRs, at which point there are converters that can take the results over into MKV.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Last release was MakeMKV v1.15.1 (15.4.2020 ), which isn't that long ago,...

Cu Selur

Ps.: Why is this in the 'Latest Video News' section?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Last release was MakeMKV v1.15.1 (15.4.2020 ), which isn't that long ago,...

Cu Selur

the program itself may be updated but the free beta key looks like
    it's expired. (valid until the end of may 2020) - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a license years ago as a small gesture to support the author. Programmers have to eat as well. Having a license saves all the bother to insert or chase new keys every now and then.
    PS: wash your hands and wear a mask if required to do so ! Stay safe....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. May be the author simply thought that the beta state of MakeMKV is over since MakeMKV is mature enough,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last release was MakeMKV v1.15.1 (15.4.2020 ), which isn't that long ago,...

Cu Selur

Because people are suddenly asking the question. As well, there was a (mistaken) "updated software" announcement here, dated June 4, which a mod should correct.

May be the author simply thought that the beta state of MakeMKV is over since MakeMKV is mature enough,...
    I'd have no argument with that, but it would be a simple courtesy for the author or another official rep to simply tell us this.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm going to be blunt. My words are not directed at anyone in particular.

At the end of the day, the author of MakeMKV has created a shareware product and also kindly offered unfettered use if users decide to not pay via a "free" time-limited license key that gets updated on a consistent basis. Still, the author continues development, fixes bugs, adds new capabilities, etc. Any time the "free" beta key lapses people go into panic mode. It's happened before. I expect it to happen again.

Just because the author has intentionally or unintentionally delayed the release of a new key doesn't indicate the end of development. It only indicates that, hey, some people can't use the software without paying until a new "free" key pops up. In the meantime those who did actually pay for the software can.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Must agree with HemLok, my feelings exactly. This "panic" has occurred on at least 2 other times I can remember and a really big panic when it looked like some copyright legal business could potentially see it go altogether. If you use a shareware program more than a few times then pay for the program and give a donation to freeware authors. Authors of freeware and shareware are under no obligation to continue development for users if it's no longer in their interest to do so.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they'd probably get 10 times as many paid versions if they priced it at shareware level. 10-20 bucks. 50 is a bit steep...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. I certainly hope they have a key for the free version soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    I'm going to be blunt. My words are not directed at anyone in particular.

At the end of the day, the author of MakeMKV has created a shareware product and also kindly offered unfettered use if users decide to not pay via a "free" time-limited license key that gets updated on a consistent basis. Still, the author continues development, fixes bugs, adds new capabilities, etc. Any time the "free" beta key lapses people go into panic mode. It's happened before. I expect it to happen again.

Just because the author has intentionally or unintentionally delayed the release of a new key doesn't indicate the end of development. It only indicates that, hey, some people can't use the software without paying until a new "free" key pops up. In the meantime those who did actually pay for the software can.
    I hope that you are correct in regard to continuing development, and accept the other points made. I'm purchasing a license, for benefit previously delivered on the free key, for support of the program, and the fact that the existing version should still work for most titles that are already out there. (Just as if you happened to be backing up a disc from 2012, Fab 8 would still likely do the job.) That is adequate value, to me. We'll see what happens going forward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if this is just a "test" to see how many people will pay $50 for it, it sucks.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The cost cheapness or otherwise depends a lot on the country of the user and standard of living. For my country $50 is cheap for software that works = about 10 coffees at the local coffee shop.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The beta keys do lapse at times. Bought it in 2010 and haven't worried about it since. Considering it works in linux, windows, and has features constantly added like dvd text subs to srt, background decryption for MPC-HC and vlc, expermental 4k support etc. now I'm surprised he generously let it have a free "beta" key for well over a decade. If you can buy it as it has been beyond useful in my case and my go to tool now.
    Last edited by dannyboy48888; 7th Jun 2020 at 21:47.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are scads of video converter apps, video editors, and video downloaders to choose from, but it's not like there are a whole lot of other options for this as a sound, proven alternative. Fab, and particularly Redfox as the successor to AnyDVD, seem to have pretty checkered reputations. (If not so much with their products, then with company practices or behavior.)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it look like the MakeMKV beta key has been updated - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    good until end of August 2020
    Quote Quote  
  17. october262: Thank you for informing us. I am glad there is another key. Certainly it is a program worth buying. But one has to budget and when enough funds can be spared perhaps pay for the program to show appreciation for all the work that goes into it and also to show gratitude for the time before when it was fully functioning before you could afford to buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When the key expires the tool becomes an evaluation version. It still works for 30 days from the first time you use it after the key expired. People are panicking unnecessarily. It would have worked for 30 more days. I haven't updated my key yet and I have until July 8th before my evaluation version stops functioning. The author doesn't need to provide a new key mere seconds after the old one expires. Cut him some slack!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ronmaz View Post
    When the key expires the tool becomes an evaluation version. It still works for 30 days from the first time you use it after the key expired. People are panicking unnecessarily. It would have worked for 30 more days. I haven't updated my key yet and I have until July 8th before my evaluation version stops functioning. The author doesn't need to provide a new key mere seconds after the old one expires. Cut him some slack!
    Well said,ronmaz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    october262: Thank you for informing us. I am glad there is another key. Certainly it is a program worth buying. But one has to budget and when enough funds can be spared perhaps pay for the program to show appreciation for all the work that goes into it and also to show gratitude for the time before when it was fully functioning before you could afford to buy it.
    I felt that it was high time to pay the piper, so I bought the permanent license.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The website is suspended. Does anyone have more info?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The developer probably forgot to renew his host. Happened before and the forum, forum.makemkv.com is still up.

Don't download from makemkv.net. It's a fake, possibly scam site.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401624-Is-MakMKV-com-Now-MakeMKV-net-or-is-net-Malicious
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    The developer probably forgot to renew his host. Happened before and the forum, forum.makemkv.com is still up.

Don't download from makemkv.net. It's a fake, possibly scam site.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401624-Is-MakMKV-com-Now-MakeMKV-net-or-is-net-Malicious
    Thanks mate!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Happens from time to time with certain sites, like a couple of the film blogs I try to monitor. Brief user panic, but then fortunately proves to be a false alarm, and they return. (Longest absence was ~ 2 weeks.) Or perhaps the person who maintains the site is off on a bender . . . .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV.com was back online just now when I checked, essentially verifying our surmise.

If it was indeed a holiday or a bender, these days I can certainly relate. (Keep that favorite Bourbon or single malt at hand, 'cause these wild 'n wacky days show no signs of receding.)
    Quote Quote