VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I made a recent post regarding capturing video using an EasyCap and Arcsoft ShowBiz. Im now instead trying to capture using VirtualDub but am unable to see the video being played.

The software is finding the capture unit but when i try to see it being played on the software i cannot see it.

The steps i am doing are:
    File>Capture AVI
    Device> select the Easy Cap "USB 2861 (Direct Show)"
    Video>Preview

Advice on how to rectify appreciated!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You must also set video > 'Video Source', 'Capture Pin' and 'Capture Filter' - maybe some others but those should give you a picture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You must also set video > 'Video Source', 'Capture Pin' and 'Capture Filter' - maybe some others but those should give you a picture.
    Thanks. I forgot i HAD set the 'video source' but hadnt set the 'Capture Pin' or 'Capture Filter. I will play around with those settings... unless... i dont suppose you know what they need to be?

There are lots of options PAL, NTSC, SECAM and then different versions of those e.g. PAL_M, SECAM_L1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever you source material is >> NTSC (US) VHS, PAL I/G (Europe except France) VHS would be a good place to start.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Whatever you source material is >> NTSC (US) VHS, PAL I/G (Europe except France) VHS would be a good place to start.
    Thanks, just gave it a quick go and changed the settings to PAL I and then PAL G and then one of the NTSCs but couldnt see any video appearing on preview. will give it another go in the week and try all of those options with their suffixed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You don't know the standard of you tapes? where do you live and where the tapes originally shot at? Possibly what VCR or camcorder used to make them at the time? the more details you give the better the help you get.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Location?
    - North America + Japan = NTSC
    - Most of the rest of the world = PAL

It's more complex that that, but it's the quick version. Lots of exceptions, odd formats or SECAM.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    You don't know the standard of you tapes? where do you live and where the tapes originally shot at? Possibly what VCR or camcorder used to make them at the time? the more details you give the better the help you get.
    It's a VHS tape which contains various videos from the early 90s, recorded on a Sony camcorder (i dont know model)
    It's 1 tape
    Live in SW UK, shot in the SW UK.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Location?
    - North America + Japan = NTSC
    - Most of the rest of the world = PAL

It's more complex that that, but it's the quick version. Lots of exceptions, odd formats or SECAM.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should be PAL.

There are various tutorials on how to set up vdub for capturing - I recall posting a link to a quite comprehensive one some weeks ago - so do a forum search.

And also do initially make sure your video source is composite (unless your VCR is S-VHS)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It should be PAL.

There are various tutorials on how to set up vdub for capturing - I recall posting a link to a quite comprehensive one some weeks ago - so do a forum search.

And also do initially make sure your video source is composite (unless your VCR is S-VHS)
    DB83- Thanks. Ive tried on every PAL setting and used composite (i have a Daewoo-DF4700 machine) but still not able to get a picture.
    I searched prior posts and found a thread where youve offered similar advice on settings (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/396966-8mm-digitalization-Picture-is-either-blinki...ght=virtualdub) but cant find where youve posted a link to vdub capture (i checked back until Jan for threads with Keyword(s): virtualdub; User: DB83)
    I have searched you tube for guides and have followed guidance but unfortunately no luck yet!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will also note the reference to the 'easycrap' in that post.

But there was another topic which I also can not locate. If memory serves the actual guide was in another forum - possibly Doom9 - quite a few members on here frequent both places. Google led me to a guide on DigitalFaq but that one, apologies to lordsmurf - the boss on there - , seems outdated.

I would also check the Preview settings. At the very least you should have a black square on your screen where the video would go.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You will also note the reference to the 'easycrap' in that post.

But there was another topic which I also can not locate. If memory serves the actual guide was in another forum - possibly Doom9 - quite a few members on here frequent both places. Google led me to a guide on DigitalFaq but that one, apologies to lordsmurf - the boss on there - , seems outdated.

I would also check the Preview settings. At the very least you should have a black square on your screen where the video would go.
    Yeh i recognise im using a device that is not recommended - comes down to budget im afraid! but totally appreciate the moniker it's been given!

Yes i do see the black square... is that good!?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi im using Virtualdub too and in Video source is empty space can choose anything
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Computer based video capturing involves a lot of hand shaking between capture card/PC, PC/Capture software, Those conflicts are hard to resolve via an online forum. If someone doesn't know how to troubleshoot driver conflicts, capture card settings, registry ...etc on their own the easiest way is to get those cheesy capture devices that capture to an SD card, You wouldn't get any worse quality than what the easycrap can provide anyway.
    Quote Quote