VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All

I'm trying unsuccessfully to insert a PAL VHS audio RIP into a Blu-Ray RIP of the same movie. The PAL source is 25fps so the ripped audio from that VHS is 25fps too.
    Now, when I try to put this alternate audio dub into the Blu-Ray movie of the same film, the sound never matches up and I've been racking my brains for years to achieve
    this result but to no avail. All Blu-Ray's seem to be 23.976024 fps. I've tried converting my uncut original audio track from 25 fps to 24 fps and to 23.976 fps to match the Blu-Ray but it simply does not and after about 30 seconds it lags and falls behind or goes ahead of the Blu-Ray causing me a massive headache. I have tried everything. I have tried converting the Blu-Ray from 23.976 to 24fps and 25fps to see if that works but it is the same. And I have tried converting my VHS PAL video from 25fps to 24fps and 23.976fps all to no avail, also. The audio WILL NOT match up with my Blu-Ray no matter what I do and it's so frustrating. Please help me to understand/fix this annoying issue of mine. There must be a simple program I can use to convert and get the VHS audio matching the Blu-Ray. I came across similar questions on this site whilst searching for help on this and you all seem to know what the best free programs are for me to achieve this so I'm hoping someone on here can help me. PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S I also need to know if there is a simple video editor that will closely match the crisp BluRay colour of a film to an older VHS of that same film
    just by putting them both together so it gives you the best colours to get it closely to match and vice versa? Is there an easy way to do this with a
    free video editor? The colour of the VHS is darker in tone than the crisp brightly coloured BluRay and I need them to match as close as possible.
    What is also the best free program to convert a VHS version of a film in 25fps to BluRay by closely matching the colour and same framerates so
    that my audio still matches? I've been working for years in my spare time doing this but always run into a brick wall and I want to get it completed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by theundertaker180 View Post
    Hi All
    I'm trying unsuccessfully to insert a PAL VHS audio RIP into a Blu-Ray RIP of the same movie. The PAL source is 25fps so the ripped audio from that VHS is 25fps too.
    Now, when I try to put this alternate audio dub into the Blu-Ray movie of the same film, the sound never matches up and I've been racking my brains for years to achieve
    this result but to no avail. All Blu-Ray's seem to be 23.976024 fps. I've tried converting my uncut original audio track from 25 fps to 24 fps and to 23.976 fps to match the Blu-Ray but it simply does not and after about 30 seconds it lags and falls behind or goes ahead of the Blu-Ray causing me a massive headache. I have tried everything. I have tried converting the Blu-Ray from 23.976 to 24fps and 25fps to see if that works but it is the same. And I have tried converting my VHS PAL video from 25fps to 24fps and 23.976fps all to no avail, also. The audio WILL NOT match up with my Blu-Ray no matter what I do and it's so frustrating. Please help me to understand/fix this annoying issue of mine. There must be a simple program I can use to convert and get the VHS audio matching the Blu-Ray. I came across similar questions on this site whilst searching for help on this and you all seem to know what the best free programs are for me to achieve this so I'm hoping someone on here can help me. PLEASE HELP!!!
    Use my clever FFmpeg-GUI. Load your PAL VHS Audio (from 25.fps source), select audio modify, in "Change Audio Lenght" insert 25 as source fps and 23.976 as target , set "Lenght and pitch", set as output wav (for uncompressed audio) and convert the audio. Then in the multiplex section load your BR-Rip Video as video and the new created audio as audio and mux them. If in synch, convert the new wav audio to aac or ac3 (your choice) and mux this with your BR-Rip Video.
    You can control sync with VLC Player and eventually find the correct audio delay.
    Logically, the video content must be the same.
    For example, if one film is the normal version and the other a special edition (e.g. directors cut, or similar), then the audio track may not match.
    Last edited by ProWo; 2nd Jun 2020 at 10:27.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I will try this Thanks. if all else fails are there other easier methods around?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    It's pretty obvious from his description that it's not. So, neither your nor his methods will work.

theundertaker180, find out the framecount for both sources. If not identical, it can't be done just by stretching and delaying the audio (unless the difference is only at the very beginning with different logos before the film begins). And if the framecounts are different - as they surely are - you'd have to find all the places where one version is different from the other and either add or remove audio. This is not an easy project and I suggest you give up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by theundertaker180 View Post
    All Blu-Ray's seem to be 23.976024 fps
    That's not true. Who told you that? Where are you getting that msinformation? Why not look up BluRay formats yourself? https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    Re-encoding your source will reduce quality, especially if you don't kow what your're doing. Haven't you heard of lossy final delivery formats?
    Last edited by LMotlow; 2nd Jun 2020 at 15:46.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. The best way to do this is to ignore frame rates. Find an audio event near the start of the video, then another near the end of the video. Stretch/shrink the audio so that the time between those two events match. Then add an advance or delay so that the first events are in sync. But don't be surprised if even that doesn't work because releases in different countries are often different cuts of the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    It's pretty obvious from his description that it's not. So, neither your nor his methods will work.
    How can you be so sure?
    I have already successfully replaced the soundtrack on more than 100 movies with my method.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just keep the FPS, SD on Bluray do that too
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I managed to try a tool called TFM AUDIO and with this I was able to change the VHS PAL audio from 25 FPS
    to 23.967 FPS and after joining them together, I pleased to say that the audio now matches the 23.967 BluRay
    without lagging or overtaking. It was very simple to use and just what I was looking for. Now I'm looking forward to
    editing the films together to include my ultra rare uncut audio to an amazing BluRay copy.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by theundertaker180 View Post
    Hi All
    Use my clever FFmpeg-GUI. Load your PAL VHS Audio (from 25.fps source), select audio modify, in "Change Audio Lenght" insert 25 as source fps and 23.976 as target , set "Lenght and pitch", set as output wav (for uncompressed audio) and convert the audio. Then in the multiplex section load your BR-Rip Video as video and the new created audio as audio and mux them. If in synch, convert the new wav audio to aac or ac3 (your choice) and mux this with your BR-Rip Video.
    You can control sync with VLC Player and eventually find the correct audio delay.
    For example, if one film is the normal version and the other a special edition (e.g. directors cut, or similar), then the audio track may not match.
    I will keep this method in mind too ProWo. Thanks for your input.
    Quote Quote