VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys

Several questions please

Ok have a vast range of DVDs, sadly looking at them now as low quality items, with the TVs of today and screen size they don't play great or look great to be honest
    though spent so much money years ago, don't really want to throw them out so...

may consider ripping them to a hard drive for use on my media server

1) is there software that can do a TRUE one to one rip of a DVD including everything, extras menu, a complete one to one rip
    not losing any structure or quality at all

DVD quality is poor at the best of times, so if i'm ripping I do not want to lose anything

and hopefully, if the software rips it correctly I can play it back on the media server as if I just threw a DVD in the player ?
    Menus, extras, film etc.

2) which takes me on to my next question, is there anyway to accurately RIP interactive DVDs, Have loads from years ago but was never able to successfully Rip them accurately, some worked but on the whole they were a pig

Have not ripped any DVDs for years, purchase all the ripping software years ago CloneDVD / ANYDVD software along with many other Ripping tools, but out of touch for the past 10 years with DVD Ripping

Just would like to know what is the GOLD Standard for ripping DVDs, for ripping AUDIO CDs I use EAC, that's the GOLD standard, what is the equivalent for Ripping DVDs

can you please give me the advantages too of the DVD Ripping software, I don't mind if it's commercial or free, just want to use the very best tools to keep the very best quality

Thank You In Advance

John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter still works on the vast majority of discs.

A true "rip" will yield and ISO. But you can't stream it.

I use WDTVs, and directly connect 5tb USB3 HDDs with the ISOs. All of my ISOs are sorted, drives labeled with a sticker, and I pick the one I want. I tend to watch different things in different rooms, so not an issue for me.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the world of MKV.
    MakeMKV gives you an exact copy and also allows you to get rid of stupid shit along the way(useless languages/subtitles).
    Fancy menus never appealed to me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks guys for the reply

So there is nothing better even today than DVD Decrypter ?

I remember that from years ago when I purchased CLONE DVD & ANY DVD

so will DVD Decrypter ? do all DVDs with no problems ??

I'm sure years ago I ran in to problems with it and had to look at other software, but maybe I'm wrong

I guess ISO images are fine for media servers like my DUNE, I'm sure that reads and plays DVD ISOs

what about interactive DVDs, I have never been able to duplicate these

not sure if they are protected, strange layout or what.

have loads of them, but can not use them unless in a DVD player with loads of remote control

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many people have mentioned DVD Fab Decrypter to be a great program to create excellent dvd backups, including ISO or exact copies. I agree Make MKV has made some excellent copies with MKV files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fundamentals of DVD ripping in the past two decades [hasn't changed] since DeCSS was developed and released allowing the ability to rip a Video DVD to an exact bit for bit copy on your hard drive, less the copy protection. What has changed and is constantly changing is the copy protection schemes that is a cat and mouse game the movie studios and the software developers.

For unprotected or discs made before 2005 [DVD Decrypter] (when DVD Decrypter was last updated), works just as well as any other program available today. However, for discs produced after 2005 with new copy protections schemes requires a program that's updated to decrypt them. This is probably where you ran into issues in the past.

DVDFab is highly recommended since it's constantly updated, though it could take weeks or months for the newest schemes to be cracked. DVDFab is trialware, but the DVD ripping portion remains free after the trial expiration and you may have to download and reinstall the latest version to deal with the latest copy protections.New copy schemes on DVDs has slowed to a crawl with the studios focusing on Blu-Ray protection schemes, but some new DVD protection schemes are still occasionally reported here.

As for interactive discs, since they don't have to follow the Video DVD specs, they can use all sorts of proprietary protection techniques, possibly even physical means like stamping defects.* Try ISOPuzzle (free) or ISOBuster (free to read discs, but requires payment to rip) which can do a sector by sector [disc] read and write [the data] to your hard drive.

*Physical defects were/are used on some India produced VCDs as copy protection. To my knowledge, ripping of these types of discs has never been accomplished.
    Last edited by lingyi; 7th Jun 2020 at 06:13. Reason: Additional info, clarification
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the world of MKV.
    MakeMKV gives you an exact copy and also allows you to get rid of stupid shit along the way(useless languages/subtitles).
    Fancy menus never appealed to me.
    The best way to rip dvd/blu-ray.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote