VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An old one chewed over many times I know but a little job has come my way which means a new camera. So I need advice.

Videoing of Landscape and streetscape possibly over 30 minutes long. But this job is to be in quality 4k.

So do I go for one of the new high level consumer type of Canons like the G60 or do I go for something like the 90D and a good lens and just edit the two files together?

I only have 4k action cameras at present everything else is HD so they arent suitable.

Of course budget is a problem and something like the 5D is out of my league for now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. How about a GH5?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah although a Canon man I have looked at that and actually the 90D around same price and the G60 camcorder again the same price. So?????????

There is a thing as too much looking of photography retailers websites and just need some others to bounce ideas off me. But if a Dslr it will be between the 90D and GH5.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would buy DSLMs instead of DSLRs nowadays. Do you need 50p/60p or is 24p/25p/30p enough?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    I would buy DSLMs instead of DSLRs nowadays. Do you need 50p/60p or is 24p/25p/30p enough?
    This is something I know nothing about as I always thought 60fps was for action filming. I have only ever used an Action cam or a G40 camcorder regards video recently. The Action cam in 60fps just to stop judder when panning. That has always been on a Gimbal when in use.

Now I need 4k because this is going on large screens.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have quite a few cameras which take video including, like you, an action cam. The action cam should help you give you an answer to your question. In particular, it may give you "4K" video, but there is no way the lens or sensor is going to give you anything that even comes close to what you will get from standard HD video taken with one of your cameras that has a full-sized sensor, and a really good lens. You also get a lot more controls in a higher end camera.

I often shoot live events using my hodge podge of cameras, including a Sony action cam; a pocket-size Panasonic Lumix that has a full-sized sensor and 10:1 zoom (only tiny camera that offers these things); a traditional Sony HD video camera with the flip out video screen; and my tried-and true 2005 Sony FX-1 semi-pro 1440x1080 tape-based HDV camera.

The ancient Sony, despite its old technology and lower pixel count always produces the best image and is the one I use for the main camera.

So, I would forget about 4K vs. HD, unless you think you'll need to zoom in during post, and instead concentrate on what you actually need for this new project. Do you need smooth slow motion? Then get a camera that can film at 120 fps or more. Do you need really smooth zoom? Look for that feature. Are you going to have to "run 'n gun?" Then look at the in-camera motion stabilization and get a camera with the best optical stabilization available.

I could go on, but my main advice is to not get too hung up on 4K, assuming you are going to deliver in 1920x1080 HD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I have quite a few cameras which take video including, like you, an action cam. The action cam should help you give you an answer to your question. In particular, it may give you "4K" video, but there is no way the lens or sensor is going to give you anything that even comes close to what you will get from standard HD video taken with one of your cameras that has a full-sized sensor, and a really good lens. You also get a lot more controls in a higher end camera.

I often shoot live events using my hodge podge of cameras, including a Sony action cam; a pocket-size Panasonic Lumix that has a full-sized sensor and 10:1 zoom (only tiny camera that offers these things); a traditional Sony HD video camera with the flip out video screen; and my tried-and true 2005 Sony FX-1 semi-pro 1440x1080 tape-based HDV camera.

The ancient Sony, despite its old technology and lower pixel count always produces the best image and is the one I use for the main camera.

So, I would forget about 4K vs. HD, unless you think you'll need to zoom in during post, and instead concentrate on what you actually need for this new project. Do you need smooth slow motion? Then get a camera that can film at 120 fps or more. Do you need really smooth zoom? Look for that feature. Are you going to have to "run 'n gun?" Then look at the in-camera motion stabilization and get a camera with the best optical stabilization available.

I could go on, but my main advice is to not get too hung up on 4K, assuming you are going to deliver in 1920x1080 HD.
    Other reason is I think it may be time to upgrade.

For this job with the streetscape I was worried about identification so the 4k would be easier to edit. Also for the landscape, I just imagined the high res the better.

My still cam is actually only a Canon 20D but with a 24-70mm 2.8L lens on it which produces great pics. But I was going to sell this and probably the G40.

My idea was a 4k camera with a 17/18mm lens and get a Gimbal for that as well. This way one camera does all and I could off set the cost with the sale of old gear a little.

Then the G60 popped up and it's frying my head.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, you are considering some pretty good cameras, and some decent lenses, so I think you'll end up with something which produces really great video, with or without 4K.

The DSLR does have the advantages of letting you produce video which has "the film look," something that requires many changes to how you shoot video, one of them being the ability to produce shallow depth of field.

My son-in-law is a professional photographer who has quite a few cameras, one of which is the Canon 1DX Mark II. He goes to remote locations to shoot products against wilderness backgrounds, and the ability of this camera to produce shots that I would not have thought possible continuously astounds me. I can list a dozen attributes that have nothing to do with 4K (like incredibly low sensor noise at low light levels) that would be far more important to me if I were going to do another commercial shoot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with everything you say John. But within a week or so I have to decide. so gathering as much info as possible
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by canon333 View Post
    I agree with everything you say John. But within a week or so I have to decide. so gathering as much info as possible
    I wish I could help more, but having used Nikon gear exclusively since 1970, I don't know the Canon line well enough to help. Someone else will have to chime in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depending on the ambient temperature at the time of shooting a dslr "90d" might overheat before 30 minutes. i have a 60d, 70d, and 80d. none i'd use more than 10 minutes at a go. for long shoots i use videocams.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    depending on the ambient temperature at the time of shooting a dslr "90d" might overheat before 30 minutes. i have a 60d, 70d, and 80d. none i'd use more than 10 minutes at a go. for long shoots i use videocams.
    Interesting. Would you have recommendations for 4k camcorders?
    Quote Quote