VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

1. In the 1920s, there was an American family who could afford a lot of 16mm film.

They have made many recordings during trips through Europe and America, including in the Netherlands.

From that collection I have acquired the original 16mm recordings in the Netherlands.

With the following index:

Holland
    The Hague.
    Scheveningen.
    The Peace Palace.
    Hotel Des Indes.
    Zuider Zee.
    Island of Marken.
    Voledam.
    Dairy and Cheese Farm
    Amsterdam.

This 16mm film is going to be digitized in 4K with an archival-grade scanner and eventually be put on youtube.

For now I got some quick and dirty recordings of the projected film made with a DSLR.

Enjoy.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Very neat.
    I want to see this project when completed.

You just should get some advice from johnmeyer and videofred for film NR and film restoration.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Wow. Very neat.
    I want to see this project when completed.

You just should get some advice from johnmeyer and videofred for film NR and film restoration.
    Thank you.

I would love to be able to restore the films I have acquired over the years and am working on putting on YT this year. Mostly 1900-1950 material from 35mm to 16mm, 8mm and 9,5mm.

Note that the GIFs you see above aren't representative of the final scan, they are just something so I can share the footage for the moment.

I have been trying to get into contact with Guy Jones for help on film restoration. I'd also love to collaborate with him on adding sound effects. No response yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Street Scenes
    Island Of Marken

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting project indeed.

I would echo lordsmurf's comment re johnmeyer since he had done some quite excellent film work.

Although this is your 'baby' and my own experience in this field is quite limited I do wonder whether scanning at 4K is overkill. Even studios scan 35 mm at 2K and only higher for BD/UHD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Interesting project indeed.

I would echo lordsmurf's comment re johnmeyer since he had done some quite excellent film work.

Although this is your 'baby' and my own experience in this field is quite limited I do wonder whether scanning at 4K is overkill. Even studios scan 35 mm at 2K and only higher for BD/UHD.
    Thank you. I'll contact this person and ask on how to start with restoration, from a novice point of view. Sounds like something for the restoration thread.

I would rather oversample than undersample. I want to provide the best possible quality when I publish this on YouTube. I'm not going to do a half-assed job.

Rather, full-assed...

I got a huge amount of storage at home and off-site. I can easily afford this 18-minute recording as lossless 4K ProRes444. I also got the desktop processing power to play it back in real time at full resolution with several filters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Street Scenes
    Island Of Marken

Quote Quote