VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hope this is the correct forum. I am looking for a camcorder that can record a continuous 7+ hour video without interruptions. All the "long life" batteries seem to top out at about 3 hrs. Is there a way to do this with a dummy battery and a power pack? I have seen some suggestions for DSLR cameras but not for long length movies. Any suggestions welcome. Don't need 4K, 1080p is fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a 12V car battery, low wattage DC to 120V AC inverter (100watt inverter), 120v outlet to camera (dummy) battery converter. Obviously this is not electrically efficient but it works. You also need a 12V charger to charge the battery up again.
    Last edited by KarMa; 30th May 2020 at 19:28.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately, I need to have all of this on a tripod that I can move around with. The old camcorders (Sony, Toshiba) that had Hi8 tapes had large long-life batteries. So strange that the new ones don't last that long. What about some type of USB conversion that would let me use a 30000 ma power pack?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Some camcorders have double batteries so one can be swapped out when low while the other one is powering the camcorder. I have no idea where I saw it or which model but I'v seen them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah many higher end DSLR cameras (which can be used for video recording) have an extended grip add-on that will slot 2 batteries for long life. https://www.amazon.com/Canon-9130B001-Battery-Grip-BG-E16/dp/B00NI3CD1K
    Quote Quote  
  6. I see that but those are way out of my price range. Are there any camcorders that can run straight from 5V USB where I can use a power pack? Or, is there something that can convert USB 5V to whatever the camcorder battery voltage is? Has anyone done this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another tripartite constraint.

Pick 2:
    • Portable
    • Longlasting
    • Inexpensive

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tsg View Post
    Unfortunately, I need to have all of this on a tripod that I can move around with. The old camcorders (Sony, Toshiba) that had Hi8 tapes had large long-life batteries. So strange that the new ones don't last that long. What about some type of USB conversion that would let me use a 30000 ma power pack?
    It can be done if you know about 18650 Li-Ion battery cells, You would make a pack of cells in series up to the working voltage and add packs in parallel up to the amp hour needed, You would need a BMS board installed to control the cells during discharge and charge up the pack. I've done it numerous times on different devices including old power tools that run of Nickel Cadmium and metal hydrate batteries.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a portable generator and ac connection to the cam is about your only choice.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There are tons of choices it depends on how handyman the person is, Off the shelf stuff cost ten times more DIY solutions.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I found my solution. For those interested, it is:

Canon Vixia HF R800 camera with BP-727 Battery Pack
    RLERON 25000mAH Power Bank
    CA-110 USB Power Adapter

This combination will run the camera for 12+ hours. When you remove the external power from the Power Bank, the camera will continue recording using the internal battery (for about 2h 50m), giving you enough time to switch to a fresh Power Bank while continuously recording until the SDXC card is full.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm afraid that power bank will not last that long, try it and let us know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @tsg, while that might be a decent option, that doesn't COMPLETELY satisfy your stated requirement of portability, if you are expecting to be near where you can charge the spent powerbank(s) from AC mains. Also, to do this consistently regardless of environmental factors (cold temp = reduced charge capacity), you will need at minimum 2 and possibly 3 or 4 powerbanks to fully encompass the seamless round-robin failover of power. Thus, not as inexpensive.
    Also, I must ask, have you tested this in the field? As the saying goes, "in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there IS"*. It OUGHT to work, but there is that moment of power fallback where the recording could glitch, or stop/fail.

Scott

*attributed to Yogi Berra.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The camcorder is rated 3.9Ah, And the pack is supposed to be 25Ah which is not in real life, Chinese business man are liars so it will be in the vicinity of 9Ah, which is about 2 hours of recording time if you are lucky.
    Quote Quote  
  15. None of this is theory. I have these exact items and have tested them repeatedly. The Power Bank lasted over 9 hours and the camera was still recording.

When the power bank was unplugged, the camera continued uninterrupted recording using the internal battery. The battery indicator (for the BP-727) said that there were about 170 minutes remaining on the internal battery but, at that point, I stopped the recording since I had already been recording longer than 7 hours, which was the goal.

I pointed out that the camera would not stop recording when the external power was unplugged and replaced with a fresh source of power in case anyone wanted to record for longer than 12 hours (9 from Power Bank and 3 from Internal Battery). My configuration did not require that feature but it was nice to know that it was an option.

Just to be complete, this 128GB SDXC card is in the camera.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  16. 1. My Sony CX-700 has a 10+ hour battery, which I have and have used.

2. I have a LiON battery for jump starting cars. I has a variety of 5V (USB) and 12V (via various connectors) outputs. It should power your camera for 24+ hours.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Guess it depends on what one's definition of "portable" is. And "inexpensive".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Guess it depends on what one's definition of "portable" is. And "inexpensive".

Scott
    Both batteries are in the $60 range. The LiON jump starter fits in my shirt pocket.
    Quote Quote