VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread
  1. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if this question should be posted here, but...

    Mostly out of curiosity, are there any (recommended, non-spyware/malware, etc.) Android apps that'll use your GPS location and data from sources like antennaweb (if that's still around; I didn't check before posting ) to help you determine the best directions to point your TV antenna?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I never considered that such a thing existed but sure enough, they do. I just tried "Antenna Point". It's from a well-known retail operation, Antennas Direct but no ads so far. I like the way it works. When I have the opportunity to do so, I'm going to see if my indoor antennas are pointed as predicted by the app.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, usually_quiet. I did give it a try.

    Now, for anyone else reading this, your mileage may vary, so by all means don't let my experience necessarily turn you away from trying it.

    It does have a slightly lower score in the Play Store, so read through the reviews and take note of the issues people mention, just in case. They didn't seem to affect me when I tried the app.

    The app suggested pointing my antenna about... ~40 degrees off to the left of where I currently have it pointed? I tried that, but ended up losing a small handful of stations. And, as some of the reviews mentioned a possible issue with miscalibration/getting directions reversed, I did try pointing the antenna in the completely opposite direction. That didn't help.

    In all, I guess I can recommend it, but don't necessarily use its recommendations as the final word on where you should point your antenna.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    In my case, the app did locate the towers with the strongest TV signals I receive and correctly indicated their general direction on its map. However, I found that I couldn't truly check the accuracy of the app's recommendation against how my antennas are now pointed. The tiny compass in the app is hard for me to use and I don't have a separate compass or GPS to accurately locate north.

    As a side note, I originally used the TV Fool website to predict the OTA networks that I could reasonably expect to receive but it isn't being maintained and has not been updated to reflect the frequency reassignments in my area that took place in the past year. antennaweb.org is a better bet for an accurate prediction now.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    In my case, the app did locate the towers with the strongest TV signals I receive and correctly indicated their general direction on its map. However, I found that I couldn't truly check the accuracy of the app's recommendation against how my antennas are now pointed. The tiny compass in the app is hard for me to use and I don't have a separate compass or GPS to accurately locate north.
    Yeah, that's why I ended up with more of a general direction as opposed to having a more precise direction in which to point the antenna. Then again, I've never tried the compass feature on any of my Android phones, so I don't know how accurate they are, anyway. I need to dig the old compass out of my nightstand.

    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    As a side note, I originally used the TV Fool website to predict the OTA networks that I could reasonably expect to receive but it isn't being maintained and has not been updated to reflect the frequency reassignments in my area that took place in the past year. antennaweb.org is a better bet for an accurate prediction now.
    I think I only used TV Fool once or twice, and antennaweb more often, but that was a while back.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet you can use the old satellite trick, sun up in the east, point left hand there down in the west, right hand there. head straight and you are looking south. gets you a starting point.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by the_man_one View Post
    usually_quiet you can use the old satellite trick, sun up in the east, point left hand there down in the west, right hand there. head straight and you are looking south. gets you a starting point.
    Even better, I know how to find Polaris, the North Star, using the Big Dipper. However, none of those tricks are useful indoors where my antennas are located.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads