VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here is a loopy idea.

Has anyone tried to emulate a NTSC encoder in software, or is anyone familiar with an effort to do so?

The next question is, why? I dunno, just something to do. Here in the U.S., there are still low-power TV stations broadcasting in analog NTSC.

It's easy to convert RGB into luminance using NTSC coefficients, but to be a true emulation you would need to synthesize a subcarrier.
    Quote Quote  
  2. there is workflows around for about 20 years,
    they might take VHS, if they still take them,
    or NTSC DV tape, you can use some NLE like Magix Vegas,
    they might take some appropriate mpg as a file, you'd need to ask for specs, but if you encode it with Magix Vegas, there should be no problem, these files could be easily tested on a distance

before exporting in Vegas (or other NLE) just use some broadcast colors effect, (7.5 IRE, or custom luma, chroma, composite) or even to 16-235 RGB (Vegas can apply this) , audio balanced with a desired -6dB or something, 48000Hz.
    Quote Quote  
  3. NTSC is as good as obsolete. I can't imagine Vegas or any NLE program supporting it because the output would be basically useless; it wouldn't be compatible with anything. The few low-power TV stations still broadcasting analog NTSC probably use hardware encoders, just like the old days.

There are people in this world who restore steam locomotives and vacuum tube radios as hobby projects, and they enjoy it. You wouldn't run a railroad with steam locomotives in revenue service in this day and age, though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    NTSC is as good as obsolete. I can't imagine Vegas or any NLE program supporting it because the output would be basically useless; it wouldn't be compatible with anything. The few low-power TV stations still broadcasting analog NTSC probably use hardware encoders, just like the old days.
    I guess folks who handed over those tapes, VHS or lately digital files for those studios with old equipment did not know it was useless. And those studios broadcasted those footage's were not aware that useless tools were used.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What do VHS tapes have to do with the topic at hand?

Digital files? We didn't have digital files in 1970. It's 2020 now. In 2020 NTSC is a dinosaur.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What the heck are you talking about? What NTSC encoder even means?
    You want to emulate something from 1960 before digital era with those analog rules? I just told you, you take a video and then throw a bunch of filters on it to simulate NTSC. Am I in Twilight Zone or something? In 1960 you had recording in analog to tape and broadcasted it was as such with specific hardware with bunch of knobs turning left and right making a signal out of it and receiving it and specific viewing CRT at the end also equipped with bunch of knobs. What part of it do you wish to simulate? Just one part of it at the end, receiving signal? How? It was analog.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I got the NTSC encoder working except for interlace.

I had thought about synthesizing a subcarrier but the math is way over my head. Much simpler to use the equations from Poynton.
    Quote Quote