I'm adding English subtitles to an Italian DVD, which I haven't done in a long time.
I decided to use MaestroSBT (126.96.36.199 Unicode) instead of Txt2sup
I followed the instructions manono gave in this forum, but came across two issues
I didn't bother touching the colors since manono mentioned they would need to be changed anyway.
However I didn't expect the transparency to be messed up as well
This is a snapshot after remuxing with Muxman:
Then I decided to play with the color keys
Incidentally, I noticed that after installation the Color Mask is
Whereas the Default Color Mask is
But whatever the Color Mask, the result was the same.
Then I tried the old version 188.8.131.52 of MaestroSBT
Unfortunately, although the version I downloaded from here says Unicode, it doesn't recognize certain characters like ♫
So I made a new ANSI ssa file, with # instead of ♫
The result in the remuxed DVD: no transparency issue
So I decided to get the 184.108.40.206 ANSI version of MaestroSBT and used the same ANSI ssa file,
Unfortunately the result was the same as before
There seems to be a bug in the 220.127.116.11 version
it's no big deal as it can be corrected easily at the same time as the colors
However has anyone experienced the same issue?
2) Wide/LB issue
Moved to a separate post as the two issues are different
TIA for your comments and suggestions
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Last edited by skaleton; 26th May 2020 at 12:43. Reason: Split the post
Hi, its been ages since i done something like that, back "in the days" i used DvdSubEdit to fix any colour issues with dvd subs or how they would appear on 4:3 or 16:9 screens, i think you can preview the sub position on different tv sizes/aspect ratios whitin the app.I love it when a plan comes together!
Hi skaleton, unfortunally i have been out of the dvd authoring scene for a long time and i wasnt a pro at it, is your end goal to add subs to a "full dvd" and by full i mean by maintaining all the menus etc etc? you can just swap the italian sub for the english sub and fix any sync issues with Pgcedit.
I never used MaestroSBT, when menus were needed i used dvdlabpro, their trial version was fully functional for 30 days.
Tell us what your end goal is.I love it when a plan comes together!
WHat i meant with sync issues was in the scenario that you replaced italian for english subs and when browsing the dvd sub menu the italian sub button would "sync/take" display the english sub, but i might be wrong...anyway SubtitleCreator can do all of that with the dvdwizard mode...and create dvd subs aswell...try to create the subs with SubtitleCreator instead on your workflow.
Like i said i never used maestroSBT so i cant give any help on that, i only asked about the end goal because more advanced users here could help you with a better way of doing what you're doing.I love it when a plan comes together!
MaestroSBT, I don't know.
I fix it using DVDSubEdit. There's a place to change transparencies. Oh, I see you already know that.
yes DVDSubEdit is a wonderful tool and can fix quite a few issues in no time
But I found such behavior weird, and worth mentioning
It's probably a bug specific to the 18.104.22.168 version, since it doesn't occur with 22.214.171.124
And since the program is no longer developed, we just have to live with it.
But it's worth the annoyance, as it makes much nicer subtitles that other programs like Txt2sup, which was the program I used before, a log time ago
I'm glad I followed your recommendations
Thank you for the instructions and advice you gave in other threads.. you were a great help as usual.
I kept investigating and found the problem and the solution
For some reason, there are two errors in the SST file
1) The contrast is inverted
Instead of (0 15 15 15) it should be (15 15 15 0)
2) The colors are different the ones chosen in MaestroSBT
For instance, if the default Color Mask was chosen, i.e.
Primary Text Color: Blue
Then the color scheme in the SST file will be
PA (255 255 255 - - - ) White
E1 (0 0 255 - - - ) Blue
E2 (0 0 0 - - - ) Black
BG (255 0 0 - - - ) Red
Therefore in order to fix the transparency issue, two modifications in the SST file are necessary:
1) The contrast needs to be corrected
2) The colors must match the ones chosen in MaestroSBT
Of course it is still necessary to fix the colors in DVDSubEdit