VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone please help me.
    I started many years ago doing home movies early ones were on VHS then went to SVCD and now GOPRO I use a MAC and iMovie to make the movies and author them and burn to a Blu ray disc, as is the case at the moment not a lot to do but decorate or go through the 120 plus cds and DVDs that I have and reminisce any way the svcds won't play on my DVD player or playstation, I can get them to play on the Mac with MK player or on Windows 10 as I have boot camp so run both systems, ideally what I want to do is convert the AVSEQ01.MPG files to a format that iMovie will recognise so I can re-author and make a new movie on one disc, yesterday I tried iso buster and ripped only the MPEG part to get the movie it plays fine on windows but once again no luck on iMovie, do you please have a solution to my problem.
    many thanks in advance.
    Aldinho...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I trust when you are ripping, you are appyling the mode2form2 filtering as well - this could be important with subsequent converting & editing.

QT on Mac should read an Mpeg1 file just fine, but not an mpeg2 file (which these are) without a paid mpeg2 plugin. Either way, it would likely expect you to convert it anyway, as it is truly only supported in legacy Qt, not current (avfoundation) Qt.

You could use ffmpeg to convert to a (near-?) Lossless format, e.g. prores, in mov container. Not sure of the syntax though, as I rarely need to do this type of conversion.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scott, ok when you say mode2form filtering as well is this something on iso buster ?, and I have followed the link for FFMPEG and tbh it seems a bit technical for me.. I clicked on the ffmp exec file and the Mac would not let me open it ?.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, m2f2 is the sector type on the part of the disc where the videos reside, and they have additional error correction garbage you want to remove. ISOBuster has the feature of removing that PER SECTOR as it is ripping, so you want to take advantage of that.

I'll let someone else talk about best practices and script syntax for ffmpeg, especially on Macs...

Scott
    Quote Quote