VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got a laserdisc of a concert. Disc is from Japan, concert shot in England, and of course it's an NTSC disc. Don't know if there was any kind of Telecine or PAL to NTSC conversion done by the studio for the laserdisc master. Having a heck of a time with deinterlacing the footage for modern digital video displays. There's a lot of combing in fast motion areas and it's leaving blocking artifacts when I attempt to deinterlace. I've uploaded a lossless compressed sample here.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This sort of thing is not my speciality but just a few Q.'s for those who follow.

1. Is this sample from the original capture ?
    2. If so why does it have a height of 486 pixels rather than 480 ?
    3. Again, not familiar with LD's but don't they playback at 29.97 fps ? And if so by capturing at 23.976 you have introduced interlacing artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah ha. I see I missed that somehow. Yes, Seems I had some kind of setting wrong on my capturing device. I use a Black Magic Intensity card. The card doesn't give a 480 optin, only 525 for NTSC. So somehow I had it set wrong, will redo at 525i 59.95 NTSC (the only interlaced SD NTSC option available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's another sample. I did a short recapture from the laserdisc. Now it's at 29.97FPS interlaced. However still captures at 720x486 due to the Black Magic Design video card.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What interlacing method did you try?

QTGMC bob de-interlace doesn't look too bad:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Virtualdub 64. I've heard of QTGMC however it's an avisynth filter and I've still never figured out how to use that software to write scripts etc. I'm currently recapturing the laserdisc with the proper settings. I have downloaded avisynth and am willing to give it a try if you could provide me with the script you used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is my humble effort with the 2nd sample.

Program used: Avidemux
    De-interlace Filter: Yadif
    Frame resize: 640*480
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    I'm using Virtualdub 64. I've heard of QTGMC however it's an avisynth filter and I've still never figured out how to use that software to write scripts etc. I'm currently recapturing the laserdisc with the proper settings. I have downloaded avisynth and am willing to give it a try if you could provide me with the script you used.
    This is my script, it can be tricky setting up qtgmc because it relies on a number of third party filters.
    There was a zip file floating around here a while ago with all the requisite filters - I'll see if I can find it.
    Code:
    SetFilterMTMode("DEFAULT_MT_MODE", 2)
    LWLibavVideoSource("C:\Users\davex\Downloads\laserdisc sample05.avi")
    ConvertToYv12()
    AssumeBff().crop(0,2,-0,-4).qtgmc(edithreads=2)
    #lsfmod()   << uncomment to sharpen
    prefetch(3)
    Which version of Avisynth did you download ? The latest version has some problems apparently,
    but this is OK
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/AviSynthPlus-3.5.1_20200402_vcredist.exe
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have AviSynth 2.5
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    I have AviSynth 2.5
    This will probably work, but probably better to move to the new version if you have a 64-bit Windows version.
    No need to uninstall old version first, the new version will "upgrade" it

Here's the package of plugins I mentioned
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Where are these gross distortions coming from (the drumstick at the top of the frame)?

[Attachment 53484 - Click to enlarge]

They appear any time there are large motions. I doubt that's what's on the laserdisc. Turn of any noise filtering in the capture device or software. See if the distortions go away.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There isn't any filtering. Black Magic Design Intensity Pro video capture card. All settings are at default. NTSC Using composite video connection on a Pioneer LD-S9. Built in comb filter is on default setting. What I'm not sure of is since this concert was shot in the UK, but the laserdisc is NTSC, is there some kind of PAL to NTSC conversion done on the laserdisc master.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The video probably did go through a PAL to NTSC conversion but those artifacts are beyond what you get from that. And being laserdisc puts it in the analog age. Those artifacts are definitely digital.

Do you see similar artifacts if you capture some other laserdisc with your current setup?
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th May 2020 at 23:08.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a higher end consumer card (Intensity Pro) which is an internal card that captures lossless AVI. Using a YUV 8 bit setting. There are no dropped frames. Computer is old but is an i7. Drive is Samsung 500GB SATA SSD. The laserdisc player is connected directly to the card, no other gear in between to affect the video.
    Quote Quote