VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

This is my first post to any forum on videos and I was looking for some advice.

I have a Digitech Set Top Box which has a facility to record TV programs on a USB, in M2ts format.

I like recording old movies, especially if they have closed captioning.

I can then use MKV Tools to convert to mkv, and MKV Extract to extract the closed captions to srt.

I then like to open the srt in Subtitle Edit and save as VobSub, making the font a good size and yellow,
    so I can read it.

I then mux the video, audio and vobsub with mkvtoolnix, adding chapters for every 5 mins.

I then run the output through mkvmerge gui ( the version I have is an old one V 5.8.0)

I don't really understand why, but if I don't do the mkvtoolnix then mkvmerge steps, the mkv will
    not seek properly when I watch it through my Sony BDP-S390 Blu Ray.

To complicate matters I have just bought a newer Sony Blu Ray BDP-S3500 - but the above steps don't
    work - the next / previous chapter function does not work, it just goes to the next / previous file on the USB.

It is a pity because the new Sony Blu Ray can handle MPEG 1 codec - which means I don't have to recode all the time
    using ffmpeg.

I guess it highlights that I am doing things because it works, without really understanding what I am doing.

The thing that puzzles me is why I have to use MKVmerge (which I know is deprecated and is replaced by MKVToolnix)
    after I have used MKVToolnix.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Murpda666 View Post
    The thing that puzzles me is why I have to use MKVmerge (which I know is deprecated and is replaced by MKVToolnix)
    "mkvmerge" has not been replaced by "MKVToolNix". "mkverge" is a command-line application that is part of "MKVToolNix".
    What has been replaced: "mkvmerge GUI" ("mmg") has been replaced by "MKVToolNix GUI". Both make/made use of "mkvmerge".

Sometimes mkv files created with older mkvmerge versions may have better compatibility with (older) players. You may be able to skip your last step of using an old mkvmerge version by doing in the following in the current MKVToolNix GUI:
    Preferences -> Default Values -> Default additional command line options -> "--clusters-in-meta-seek --disable-track-statistics-tags --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position". (Re-start the app to make sure the setting is applied.)

Originally Posted by Murpda666 View Post
    To complicate matters I have just bought a newer Sony Blu Ray BDP-S3500 - but the above steps don't
    work
    Maybe the feature simply isn't supported anymore?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes I already had those four command lines selected in my latest version of MKV Toolnix V46.

I was using them also in my previous versions.

I have posted a support request with Sony online - maybe they might have some other suggestions.
    Quote Quote