VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I download a lot of foreign language movies. So, I have to make sure the subtitle file works on my TV, when I connect my hard-disk. The problem I am facing is that I am using Handbrake to embed subtitles in the video file so that the TV can read it and I wanted to change the subtitle font and color for easy viewing, so I used subtitle edit to do that and tried to embed using handbrake but when exported its coming all ****ed up with

for eg. - <font face="Bahnschrift"><i><font face="Bahnschrift Light" color="#e4c616">Once complete, we'll be able to enter your dream even while awake.</font></i></font> it comes out like this on the screen. any help is appreciated. thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. In the top toolbar of SubtitleEdit set "Format" to "Advanced Sub Station Alpha (.ass)". Save and import the .ass file into HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you so much for the reply. I will try this and get back to you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ASS subs probably won't work on your TV. Outside a computer not many devices support ASS subtitles.

SRT subtitles are widely supported but it's not a well thought out, well documented, international standard. It was developed many years ago as a quick easy way to add soft subs for media files on a PC. In more recent years people have added some html tag support. But outside a computer few device support those html tags -- they will typically be displayed as part of the subtitle text. At best they'll be ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ASS subs probably won't work on your TV. Outside a computer not many devices support ASS subtitles.
    Often people use HandBrake for "burning in" subtitles, then they work on any TV that supports the video file. My guess was that was what he meant. As you say if he is only "soft-subbing" he may run into compatibility problems.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @ avio If you are only going to remux remove those characters and save in srt (SE->Tools->Multiple replace)

[Attachment 53468 - Click to enlarge]
    責任者
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Sneaker thanks man, it worked.
    I am so happy. Thanks legend
    [Attachment 53472 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jagabo;2584288]ASS subs probably won't work on your TV. Outside a computer not many devices support ASS subtitles.

Hey, that is why I am using handbrake to embed the subtitles coz my TV does not read them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=sekininsha;2584292]@ avio If you are only going to remux remove those characters and save in srt (SE->Tools->Multiple replace)

Thanks man for the help but all sorted.
    ありがとう
    Quote Quote