VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to configure my Task Manager to Auto Shutdown my pc at a certain time.I followed the instructions from the videos available on the net. I set the path to windows/system32/shutdown.exe. I put /s/f in the options as told as well. The Task Library gave a 0x1 error. I then used another video to add the script before the "/" to options. This said "task completed successfully". However neither attempt actually shut down my pc. I am the admin. Any suggestions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely it is shutdown -s not shutdown /s
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Surely it is shutdown -s not shutdown /s
    "/" works fine.
    I entered this in the CMD window and the system shutdown in about 10 seconds
    Code:
    shutdown /s /f /t 10
    Perhaps there will further clues on this webpage:
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/schedule-shutdown-restarts-windows-7-task-schedular/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. But there seems to be subtle difference between the CMD window and the Task Manager.

I have not tried either. Just relaying what I read from a quick Google.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-automatically-shut-down-a-windows-computer/
    Last edited by DB83; 23rd May 2020 at 13:35. Reason: link added
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Yeah. But there seems to be subtle difference between the CMD window and the Task Manager.

I have not tried either. Just relaying what I read from a quick Google.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-automatically-shut-down-a-windows-computer/
    Sure, wouldn't hurt to try it
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes those are the instructions I followed. I did it again and added a "0". At the time I specified "1:35 PM" (a couple minutes after configuring), the screen blinked. However, it did not shut down, and it returned a 0x1 error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try it with the '-s' ?

I might test it myself later but I am not inclined to attempt to shutdown right now
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Did you try it with the '-s' ?

I might test it myself later but I am not inclined to attempt to shutdown right now
    Genius!! Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have this scheduled: c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /s It's set to run as administrator, whether the user is logged on or not.

I couldn't make it go as a generic user, had to set it as an administrator, then it worked. It's been working every night for years.
    Quote Quote