VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys.

I open Google.com for a search as usual and, once the results are loaded, I try to right-click on ones I want into a new tab. Except that frequently the cursor doesn't click on the link despite hovering over it.

So I click in an empty space way to the side and a new tab opens (??)- relating to my topic, yes, but NOT what I clicked on. This can happen several times during one session. This has been happening for about 2/3wks now.

Surely the page should load search results (as before) and the cursor click immediately upon your desired link/s when YOU want?

It's not a white space I'm clicking on by accident (the cursor doesn't click until I do this?), nor can malware be found by my updated Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, etc. I have run those many times, and always surf carefully and keep my laptop updated and clean.

I search as usual (Google.com with secure padlock) several times on one page at once, but then the odd click (trying to right-click a new tab open) does this??? A new tab with a search-related ad in the new tab?

Are Google being sneaky and installing creepy topic-related pop-ups?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Working fine for me.

Search >> right-click on link >> new tab created from result
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I'm happy for you.

Issue not resolved for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But the situation you describe is far from 'normal'

White space away from the link should be just that. A right-click there should give you different options - navigation, save etc.

Despite what you state, it is possible that your browser searches have been hijacked. Have you tried to reset your browser, cookies etc. And also look for odd-looking add-ons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another vote for nothing wrong with Google. Tried it with Chrome, Edge, Firebox, no issue with either one. I even tried QQBrowser, which being Chinese is full of ads and it's own way of handling pages. No issue.

Try different browsers and search engines to check if it continually happens. As stated, this definitely isn't Google. If it were, we'd see an uproar of users on the news complaining about the same thing. Also, clicking on empty space to get a link isn't something normally done.

Edit: When you're on a page, hovering over a link should show the link address on the bottom of the browser. Next time this happens. go back to the search page and hover over the area where you clicked. There has to be something there, possibly a single white pixel to hide in the background, that's the actual link.

In Chrome and Firefox, not sure about Edge, disable and uninstall all extensions, as DB83 stated, it could be cause of your issue. It may not be flagged as malware or adware if you agreed to the terms when you installed it.
    Last edited by lingyi; 23rd May 2020 at 06:01.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open Task Manager to check for anything you don't recognize running in the background.

It's rare, but some really vicious programs can attack your malware and antivirus, allowing it to remain undetected. While it may be possible to completely uninstall and reinstall the affected program, it's best to do a complete OS reinstall.

Run an online malware and antivirus scan instead of one installed on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sure sounds like a browser hijack of some sort. There are lots of exploits that replace the selected search engine with their own, or direct the search results through their server.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Which browser and is it up to date? Do you have any add-ons installed?

Most browsers have the option of starting up in a 'safe mode', do you get the same results when starting the browser (not Windows) in 'safe mode'? Have you tried running Malwarebytes on your system and seeing what, if anything, it finds?
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try DuckDuckGo?
    Cranky Old Man
    Quote Quote