VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, total newbie here - I'm very sorry if I'm even in the wrong forum

I'm trying to record lectures over powerpoint (which means: I put a powerpoint on the screen of my laptop, plug in a microphone, press record and start talking).

To record this, I'm using the free version of VSDC video editor. I then clip the beginning and ending in Windows 10's native video editing app (that used to be Movie Maker, but it's now something called 'Video-editor'). So, basically, this converts the original recording and then exports it to something usable.

Here's the problem
    After exporting from Video-editor to for example an MP4-format, I've found the audio and video don't synch up. That's indicative of a recording in variable frame rate.

Looking back to the original recording I made with VSDC, I found that the root problem was in the recording itself: apparently, VSDC has as a standard setting that it records with a variable, not a constant frame rate.

Please help me out by...
    So, I now have several questions:

Question 1. I must be incredibly stupid, but in the screen recording menu of VSDC I can't find the button to tell the software that I want a recording in constant frame rate. Here's what the screen looks like:

[Attachment 53426 - Click to enlarge]

When I select a framerate from the menu, it just gives me options for framerate, but nowhere can I force a choice for a constant frame rate.

What I'd like to know is this: if I choose a frame rate in this menu, can I assume it is a constant frame rate? i.e. if I select 29.97 as frame rate, will it be constant or will the software still secretly record it as a variable frame rate?

(and to add a bit: I am worried it is the latter. I distinctly remember choosing 29.97 before the recording that has the bad synch, which would imply it is a variable frame rate anyway, but I could be mistaken anyhow).

Question 2 Is there an easy way in which I can convert the original recording from a variable frame rate to a constant frame rate, in such a way the audio and video synch up perfectly?

The original recording that the free version of VSDC Video Editor makes is in .M4V-format

I already tried handbrake.fr based on some suggestions I saw on YouTube, but it didn't seem to do the trick.

Any other advice?
    If you have any other advice, you're more than welcome to share

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VSDC Noob here having the same issues.

When I attempt to screen record with VSDC Screen Recorder my audio is in sync at the beginning and end of the video but will lead and lag in the middle. Not sure how to fix this.

If I attempt to fix the sync issue by offsetting the entire audio timing with respect to the entire video time it does not resolve the issue. It just makes other areas more out of sync, or swap from leading to lagging.

I’ve recorded with 3 different mic inputs: Samson G track Pro, M-Audio Fast Track, and the computer’s internal mic. Same issue across all 3.

I’m guessing there is an issue in the rendering…. Not certain, but it’s turning what should take 15 minutes into 2 hours. Please help.

Program: VSDC Pro
    Computer: Surface Pro 7 |8GB Ram | i5 1.10 GHz Processor
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not understanding why either of you would resort to using a 3rd party editor when the natural place to do voice-overs with PowerPoint IS WITHIN POWERPOINT!
    It has had this capability for quite some time, and is good at keeping the narration locked to the appropriate accompanying slides.

Set it up, try a few runs (re-recording if necessary), then when it all is to your liking do a video export.
    No re-encoding either, so the quality is much better.

Another gorian knot sliced.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Not understanding why either of you would resort to using a 3rd party editor when the natural place to do voice-overs with PowerPoint IS WITHIN POWERPOINT!
    You beat me to it, Scott. Exactly what I was thinking while reading the thread.

+1.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the confusion. I'm not performing powerpoint presentations. I'm making company personalized tutorials for various software.

That being said I had success using the windows game bar to screen capture, then editing on top in VSDC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    danielschut,

This was the response I got from VSDC. I tested it on my machine and it has fixed the issue.

Hello,
    Sorry for inconveniences caused.
    [Attachment 53722 - Click to enlarge]

Please try another codec. Go to “Settings” and try selecting the video codec "ffdshow video encoder" (you can download it here: https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm, select pack ‘Mega’) and change the framerate to 60 fps.

Or please have a look at this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKODMU9TFfQ

Sincerely,
    VSDC team
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Cornucopia, @smrpix: thanks - there's significant drawbacks to powerpoint though. First is that if you switch to a different screen, you won't be recording that. Second is that the audio recording breaks down everytime you transition to a new slide.

@EEengineer JSE: thanks! It seems that did the trick. Awesome
    Quote Quote