VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using a VHS-C adapter to play them in a regular VCR. Some tapes just randomly stop playing for no rhyme or reason. I have checked the gear and it seems to spin fine. I can stick a pin in the little hole in the back and it allows the gear to turn freely. But still when I play the tapes sometimes they just randomly stop. It's usually not the in same spot, sometimes it will make it 10 minutes in before it stops, other times it might only make it 30 seconds. Full size VHS seem to play fine. And this doesn't happen to all VHS-C tapes, though it does seem to happen more often than it used to. Is it the adapter? If so is there anything I can do to trouble shoot it? Is there something I can do with the tapes that might help? I've tried FF to the end and rewinding, but that also does not seem to help. I have not attempted to take the tape itself apart, just dont think I'm comfortable with that yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do the tapes play fine in your VHS-C camera ??
    you could connect your camera to your vcr and play your tapes that way.
    Last edited by october262; 17th May 2020 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sadly no longer have a camera. Havent had one in ages.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when the tape stops playing does the vcr stay powered on or
    does it shut down also ??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sometimes yes, but more often the tape just stops like someone hit the stop button but VCR is still powered on. I'm fighting with it right now and it won't play more than about 60 seconds. I can rewind and fast forward manually through the whole thing, but just won't play more than a few seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The VHS-C adapter solution was always cantankerous, and many VCRs simply choke on them with issues such as you describe. To work properly and compatibly with VHS-C adapters, a VCR needs to have a better-than-average loading mechanism that can handle the adapter, and a drive mechanism that senses the extra drag and compensates without issues. The very common, narrow compact budget VCRs (without front panel displays) often fail with adapters, esp the chintzy silver-tone models made in the early 2000s during the death throes of VHS. If you're using some random VCR right now, you may need something with a stronger loader/transport like pre-1999 full-size Panasonic, JVC, or the rugged Mitsubishi HS-U448.

The adapters themselves are known to be somewhat problematic, with wide sample-to-sample variation. You may need to buy and try one or two more, preferably of different brands and types (if you have a generic manual lever-load now, try a motorized brand name like JVC or Panasonic, and vice versa).

If the tapes are quite old, its also possible they are sticking or dragging (if this happens with the same tapes in multiple adapters, this diagnosis is more likely). This type of VHS-C might only play well in an actual camcorder without an adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. One thing to check is the battery in the adapter. When it goes bad, the tape won't load, but it might be possible that a battery that is weak, but not totally gone, might get the tape loaded enough for the tape to start playing, but not get it perfectly in position, causing drag.

It's a long shot, I'll admit, but worth checking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is a non-powered adapters, it's a POS, and will likely eat tapes.
    And in that case, consider yourself lucky.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you found any solution?
    I just bought this adapter https://www.amazon.com/Konig-VHS-C-Cassette-Adapter-KN-VHS-C-ADAPT/dp/B00QV2T6II and it stops playing after a few seconds and shows, STOP PAL N for a second.
    It also ate some tapes and the vcr has problems ejecting the tape as some part of the tape stays inside the vcr.
    Quote Quote