VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone! I had been a member of this site eons ago but, you know, life happens and I drifted on to other things - however I'm now back and in need of some assistance. This may be a bit long winded, so bear with me.

The hardware: Dell Optiplex 980 desktop, EasyCAP capture device, Mitsubishi NTSC VRC, Magnavox NTSC VCR, AIWA worldwide VCR, Mini TV System Converter box.
    The software: Windows 10, VideoPad Video Editor (for capturing video).

The capture device (has 3 RCA connectors -1 vid, 2 av - and a S video connector) plugs into the USB port of my desktop. I've successfully transferred 8mm video tapes as well as VHS video tapes using this device to my computer. All tapes, by the way, are NTSC. I have a lot of PAL video tapes that I want to transfer as well, but have not found the correct way to do it. I've hooked up the AIWA VCR to the capture device (note that this VCR only has 1 audio output jack) and when I went to capture the output, it was just a black screen but I could see the soundbar on the capture software moving. As this did not work, I ordered this little TV System Converter box (plugs into a USB port for power) thinking that it would allow me utilize my Mitsubishi NTSC VCR with a PAL tape to do a transfer. This did not work. I even hooked the output of the Mitsubishi VCR up to another NTSC VCR using the box as a go between and it was still a black screen and the audio was sped up. It's obvious I'm missing a bit of knowledge here and I'm a bit annoyed with myself.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to transfer a PAL video tape to my computer with the capture device I have. If so, is there a certain capture software I should be using to account for the fact that it's a PAL video tape? Hopefully I've explained this clear enough and any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not familiar with that software but you need to go through it's settings for 'tv system' or something similar and change that to 'PAL'

I assume that you have played your PAL tapes in to a tv and in color as a basic US tv would not show that.

But also try vdub as the capture program. Need to go through several settings but it should work for you and that worldwide VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks DB83, but I just figured out what my stupidity was. On the AIWA VCR, I needed both source and output to be PAL and then in the settings of the capture software set it to PAL_B, so I have answered my own question. *sigh* getting old sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Adegan View Post
    *sigh* getting old sucks.
    It only gonna get worse.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try VirtualDub software
    Quote Quote