VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    I've re issued this plea, as I hijacked the end of my previous post about software, in the hope it might put it into context but here I'll start again.

I have successfully digitised 42 Hi8 tapes using EZCap dongle and software. From what I have gleaned from searches, the process for digitising VHS tapes (using my VCR) should be pretty much the same. I contacted the developers of the original software, for a little advice, as the software is not seeing the VCR and thus I cannot record what is on the tapes. They kindly offered me some advice about re setting preferences in the VideoGlide software, but this made no difference. If anyone can offer any common sense advice I'd be grateful. I have considered another option, which is to buy a S-VHS VCR. This would obviously record in a slightly quality, but may also offer a different signal to the software I'm using. I'd just prefer not to have spend more money if I don't have to!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I used Roxio ‘Easy VHS to DVD’ product for Mac purchased at Best Buy to digitize all of my 8mm Sony tapes from 20 to 30 years ago. I did not burn them to DVDs because of expense. I just dragged all 60+ hours of them over to 125GB SD cards to give to the kids.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kajaboss View Post
    I have successfully digitised 42 Hi8 tapes using EZCap dongle and software.

EasyCrap! Wow, yet another sucker. Brother, you're on the wrong track.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. I knew someone smarter than me would eventually show up...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Ultane, thanks for your input. Yes I've done the same with the 63 hrs or so of Hi8 tapes I have converted, using EZCap. The conversion leaves them interlaced, with artefacts but after conversion through iMovie, they have come out smoother and sharper. My only issue is one of comparison. I have no measure of the quality of what I have converted because I haven't seen any other footage down the same way. LMotlow echoes a sentiment that I have heard before but I have nothing to compare with so I can't comment on this unhelpful comment, as to whether I'm a sucker or not. The only way I will is if I buy another product and compare. Either way I have had some very helpful advice elsewhere, that shows one mustn't jump to conclusions. It transpires the VCR was the culprit. I reset the VCR to factory settings, inputted the current time and date and instantly the EZCap software saw the VCR. I am recording old VHS tapes as I write this. I will post a short clip for all to see and judge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My only issue is one of comparison. I have no measure of the quality of what I have converted because I haven't seen any other footage down the same way.
    Trust those of us that have used many, many capture cards.
    "Easycrap" is a deserved nickname.
    It's the cheapest Chinese card on the market, less than $5 to manufacture, and also rebadged by low-quality companies like Roxio.

The ATI 600 USB and clones are known to work on Mac, but it depends on OS. So far, 10.6 and 10.14 are confirmed, likely also the between versions.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    My only issue is one of comparison. I have no measure of the quality of what I have converted because I haven't seen any other footage down the same way.
    Trust those of us that have used many, many capture cards.
    "Easycrap" is a deserved nickname.
    It's the cheapest Chinese card on the market, less than $5 to manufacture, and also rebadged by low-quality companies like Roxio.

The ATI 600 USB and clones are known to work on Mac, but it depends on OS. So far, 10.6 and 10.14 are confirmed, likely also the between versions.
    Well there you go. I used the shitty converter.. somehow it worked.

Where can we find this magical ATI 600 USB?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    When I do a search for this device, I see lots of black dongles with a single port on one side and a usb 2.0 on the other. How would this work with composite audio and video cables and/or S-VHS cables? And what about software on my Mac to pick up and convert the signal?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Kajaboss View Post
    When I do a search for this device, I see lots of black dongles with a single port on one side and a usb 2.0 on the other. How would this work with composite audio and video cables and/or S-VHS cables? And what about software on my Mac to pick up and convert the signal?
    There's a detachable breakout cable with the standard three RCA jacks (yellow, red, white) + S-Video. It plugs into a small port on the side of the stick near the antenna connection. Something you'd want to be sure is included with any second-hand example you find.

See the archived data page at New Egg: on the left side of the page, look at the thumbnails. At the right there's a square with an ellipsis (...). Click that, and an additional pic selection box will pop up where you can view an enlargement of the stick showing the port for the cable, and also the breakout cable and antenna accessories.

https://www.newegg.com/diamond-tvw600usb-usb-tv-tuner-stick/p/N82E16815306011
    Last edited by orsetto; 18th May 2020 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Thankyou very much for that. I've had a look online but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Amazon UK list it as unavailable. I have found this based on a review site listing its top 10: USB Video Capture Card - August VGB100, but I have no idea of its quality. When one is looking at the market there are masses of capture cards, varying in price from a few £s to hundreds. What I'd be interested to know is what makes the difference, visually? Its fine people saying this is good or that is good, but all these opinions are purely subjective and very vague and impossible measure. I have now found out the chipper the August VGB100 is called a Conexant CX23102. Does that mean anything to anyone?
    Last edited by Kajaboss; 19th May 2020 at 16:30. Reason: add text
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "review sites" are usually BS, only suggesting items that pay them a % of the sale.

The best video hardware is not new in stores anymore. What exists now is HD cards that do SD poorly, or garbage Chinese cards like Easycap. So you must seek this gear on various second-hand markets.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote