VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sample is attached. Everything about this has got me baffled. It seems to be progressive but has interlaced frames. I'd like to get rid of these blended frames so I can use it in Topaz

SetMemoryMax(600)
    SetMTMode(2,4)

directshowsource("C:\Users\cherb\Desktop\tmngwy ETV.demuxed.mkv", fps=59.94, framecount=14420)

I've tried QTGMC with Inputtype 2 or 3 but the results are jerky.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Cherbette; 14th May 2020 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Please post a source sample (tmngwy ETV.demuxed.mkv)
    Quote Quote  
  3. How do I split the MKV? I use DGIndex to demux the VOB and used MKVToolnix to create the MKV. I'm not sure how to split the MKV. I've enclosed a direct stream from the MKV in womble to M2V. No re-enocde. I'm assuming this is correct?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. you can us my clever FFmpeg-GUI to cut off a sample
    Quote Quote  
  5. It required I convert to MP4
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your footage is normal NTSC 29.97 interlaced, top field first, with regular 3:2 pulldown.

You need to inverse telecine (IVTC) to 23.976.

(Others can give you the avisynth commands as I no longer remember them.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Would it go something like
    AssumeTFF().QTGMC()
    Selecteven()
    TFM()
    Tdecimate()

?
    Quote Quote  
  8. or

directshowsource("C:\Users\cherb\Desktop\tmngwy ETV.demuxed.mkv")
    Assumetff().QTGMC(preset="slower", SourceMatch=2, Sharpness=0.0, TR2=0, Lossless=0, rep0=0, rep1=0,rep2=0, tr0=0, tr1=0, repchroma=false, MatchEnhance=0.00, chromaedi="Bob")
    Selecteven()
    TFM(pp=1, slow=2, d2v="C:\Users\cherb\Desktop\tmngwy ETV.d2v", order=-1)
    Tdecimate()

I'm not sure if QTGMC is the correct usage in this situation so any feedback is much appreciated. Also if I try to open with FFMS2, I get gray frames occasionally and it opens 59.95
    Quote Quote  
  9. No.

Make a D2V project file using DGIndex and then use MPEG2Source on it. It's thoroughly explained in the DGMPGDec docs. Avoid using DirectShowSource if at all possible. Keep far away from MKV before encoding.

It's a field-blended mess from a film source. You need a bobber followed by SRestore, something like:

AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC()
    Srestore(Frate=23.976)

It's far from perfect but better than any other solution.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by manono; 14th May 2020 at 14:59.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Srestore keeps returning that I need YUV colorspace even after converting to yv12?
    Quote Quote  
  11. A DVD is already YV12. Did you somehow convert the colorspace along the way? What's the full script?
    Quote Quote  
  12. No I didn't. I'm loading it directly from the d2v created in dgindex. Doesn't qtgmc have to be yuv? It loads just fine avspmod says rgb at the bottom though
    Quote Quote  
  13. SetMemoryMax(600)
    SetMTMode(2,4)
    mpeg2source("C:\Users\cherb\Desktop\tmngwy ETV.d2v", cpu=0)
    #ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true, chromaresample="lanczos")
    Assumetff().QTGMC()
    Srestore()
    Quote Quote  
  14. ITU-R BT.601 is what the original VOB from the DVD reads....unless DGindex converts to RGB?
    Quote Quote  
  15. This what it says...looks like a Masktools error?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tmngwy001902.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	53324  

Quote Quote  
  16. Seems like it's being converted somewhere. In DGIndex, is Video-> YUV->RGB set to PC Scale, as it should be? If not, change it and make a new D2V file.

If that's not it, try this. Stick an Info() command after each line after the MPEG2Source line, something like this:

SetMemoryMax(600)
    SetMTMode(2,4)
    mpeg2source("C:\Users\cherb\Desktop\tmngwy ETV.d2v", cpu=0)
    Info()
    #ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true, chromaresample="lanczos")
    #Assumetff().QTGMC()
    #Srestore()

And then each line down from there until you find the culprit.

Edit: By the way, I had to add the AssumeTFF line for your sample. There's a chance you might not need it for the full video. Put on a bobber alone and check you don't get that jerky back and forth stuff, indicative of an incorrect field order. AviSynth assumes BFF unless told otherwise.
    Last edited by manono; 14th May 2020 at 16:59.
    Quote Quote  
  17. When I open the original VOB in Gspot in returns some really weird info. One of which is that it's field base is Per Pixel Frame? PPF. And yes it's set to Video-> YUV->RGB set to PC Scale. I just double checked to make sure. And following your instructions I get a YUV color space until Srestore then I get the same error I posted above that the color space is not correct

Edit: masktools was the culprit. I fixed it
    Last edited by Cherbette; 14th May 2020 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote  
  18. That's good. One more source of frustration solved. There will be more.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I would just QTGMC and encode at 59.94 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I would just QTGMC and encode at 59.94 fps.
    I thought about this as well and just leaving the blended frames...it will probably play smoother. And because this originated from a PAL source, I've changed the aspect ratio to match ffmpeg -i C:\Users\cherb\Desktop\tmngwy.avi -c copy -aspect 720/576 C:\Users\cherb\Desktop\tmngwy4.avi
    Last edited by Cherbette; 15th May 2020 at 06:42.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    And because this originated from a PAL source...i
    It didn't. You don't remember where I wrote:
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's a field-blended mess from a film source.
    and unblended it to 23.976fps and not 25fps?

Therefore your aspect ratio change is incorrect. And there's no way I'd just bob this and be done with it. Sure, there's one short scene full of blends even after being unblended. I didn't bother investigating whether it was intentional or, perhaps, the field order had changed again briefly. And the scene changes are a mess, typical of unblending. They can be fixed.
    ...it will probably play smoother
    If you consider blended frames as being helpful for smoother playing. I don't.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I clearly am still on a learning curve lol. I tried with:
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC()
    Srestore(Frate=23.976)

but wasn't crazy about the result. The main thing is that QTGMC applies temporal filtration etc but I really need to disable these settings bc Topaz does this as well. I don't need it 2x. However when I disable all the filtration in QTGMC things start to look messy.
    Quote Quote