VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've tried to use a few DVD structure editing tools such as pgcedit and I was surprised at just how complex the DVD structure is (including its own instruction set.)

Are there any tutorials that go into the gory details of the DVD structure?

I'm particularly interested in understanding how to interpret:

1) Audio offsets,
    2) Still frames that are repeated multiple times (while the audio continues)

but I'd like to know all the details.

Regards,

Jon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1 - audio offsets are fixed during encoding. nothing to do with authoring.2 - again that would be done during encoding, not authoring.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jond View Post
    I've tried to use a few DVD structure editing tools such as pgcedit and I was surprised at just how complex the DVD structure is (including its own instruction set.)

Are there any tutorials that go into the gory details of the DVD structure.

Jon
    At the risk of sounding snarky, does Google not work where you are?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dvd+structure+explained

It sure makes a lot more sense to do your own search, because you'll have your answer in less than five minutes. Then, if you need further explanation, you might get some answers here, although there are other forums (and sub-forums here in doom9.org) that focus on just DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    1 - audio offsets are fixed during encoding. nothing to do with authoring.2 - again that would be done during encoding, not authoring.
    Who said anything about authoring?

I have explored hundreds of production DVDs and the VTS_ files occasionally have audio offsets when played individually (i.e. not via the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.)

Clearly, the audio offset is encoded into the several DVD IFO files since the audio offset is present when played in parts but absent when played via the menu.

If someone wanted to rip the DVD, they would need to compensate for this offset manually. At least I think so as I have not come across a video conversion tool that interprets the DVD structure (VirtualDub, HandBrake, etc.)
    Last edited by jond; 13th May 2020 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by jond View Post
    I've tried to use a few DVD structure editing tools such as pgcedit and I was surprised at just how complex the DVD structure is (including its own instruction set.)

Are there any tutorials that go into the gory details of the DVD structure.

Jon
    At the risk of sounding snarky, does Google not work where you are?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dvd+structure+explained

It sure makes a lot more sense to do your own search, because you'll have your answer in less than five minutes. Then, if you need further explanation, you might get some answers here, although there are other forums (and sub-forums here in doom9.org) that focus on just DVDs.
    Yeah, I've done that and I haven't found any real detail but, to be honest (and snarky), I've only gone through the first three pages of ~13 million results.

DVDs are extremely complex: GPRM, VMGM, VTSM, VTST, PGC, Map Table, Stream Attributes, op codes, etc.

But I will take a peruse at Doom9's forum and see if that will enlighten me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That stuff is all created in the compile stage of authoring.

Look into guides & docs at the muxman site. That's about as detailed as you are going to be able to get without getting your hands on pro material (dvd forum specs, scenarist & dvdmaestro docs, etc).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. at the time .. I learned a lot reading the DvdLab page .., especially the navigation and the commands
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jond View Post
    DVDs are extremely complex: GPRM, VMGM, VTSM, VTST, PGC, Map Table, Stream Attributes, op codes, etc.
    True.

Since you have two specific things you are trying to fix or understand, and since you found out about them by using PGCEdit, why not read the PGCEdit documentation:

http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/#documentation

Also, there may be millions of hits when you just type "PGCEdit," but I think that if you apply a little intelligence to the search, you can easily find what you are looking for. As one example, right here in this forum is this post:

Rips are missing replicated still frames

The end of the first paragraph in that post reads: "The result in the rip is the missing the replicated still frame and a significant audio offset."

Post #10 provides some hints as to what the problem might be. The other posts by the same person ("r0lZ") seemed to also be very useful.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 13th May 2020 at 21:33. Reason: inserted missing word
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jond View Post
    If someone wanted to rip the DVD, they would need to compensate for this offset manually.
    pgcdemux will show you the A/V Delay
    Quote Quote