VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks,

I have a few dozen D8 tapes that I'd like to capture as QT files and archive to a hard drive. What is an inexpensive way to do this? "Inexpensive" to me means <$200. I've seen some D8 players on eBay. Is this a good option?

Thanks!

Keith
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need a decent, working Digital 8 player -- either deck or camera, a firewire card, and the appropriate cabling.

I'm seeing prices around $300 for cameras and $600 for decks, so your budget is probably low.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well then that's what I'll have to do. (The $300 option of course is better.) Thank you for providing the info.

K
    Quote Quote  
  4. I needed a way to transfer all 8mm formats, including Digital8. After quite a bit of research several years ago, the make and model that everyone seemed to recommend was the Sony DCR-TRV110. I found a NIB model on eBay, bought it, and transferred all three 8mm formats. It worked incredibly well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm seeing a bunch of TRV models on eBay as I type this. And, they're inexpensive. I think this is the best way to go for this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    I'm seeing a bunch of TRV models on eBay as I type this. And, they're inexpensive. I think this is the best way to go for this.
    "TRV models" is NOT the way to search for what you need. Some of these are DV camcorders, and some that accept 8mm cassettes don't do Digital8. You need to pay very close attention to what you buy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, thank you. No, I know the difference between Hi-8 and D-8. I won't make that mistake. No, these are digital-8 cameras.

Thanks John.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If all you want to do is transfer Digital8, then the video is stored as a digital file on the tape and so all you need is a machine that can play the tape. So in theory any camcorder that is a D8 machine that still functions would work. Without all the intricacy of optimal analog capturing. Also stop making duplicate threads on the same topic back to back.
    Last edited by KarMa; 12th May 2020 at 06:18.
    Quote Quote