VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. https://youtu.be/WZKgBha0HSY

Post your thoughts in the youtube comment section.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    All the formats are lossy who cares, never capture straight to a lossy format, capture lossless and encode later, His capturing service is for convenience not for archival purposes,

Technically mp4 should be the best but because that mp4-box is junk it looked the worst, the DVD encoder is of a high quality from back in the day that's why it looked better despite mpeg-2 being less efficient than mpeg-4 but as I said the compression setting in that box are set too high, DV has less chroma details so it ranked right.

I watch his repair videos, but I wouldn't count on him to capture my tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I have a lot to capture and want to save space, I'll normally go with x264 (best preset my CPU can manage) at 4:2:2, and something like crf 10-15 plus --tff. Usually cuts down on the size by 1/2 or 1/3 of what lossless would give me. It's obviously not lossless but I can't visually tell. The DVD route isn't really something I would ever consider besides for comparison.
    Last edited by KarMa; 9th May 2020 at 00:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That video is worthless.
    It's all variables, no control group.

That "DVD import" (what does that even mean?) is over-contrasted, fake sharpening with halos. And it irks me how comments think it is the best.

It's amazing how gullible people are when saturation and sharpness is falsely boosted. That's the same technique used to sell HDTVs. Idiots. It's not much different than beauty concepts. If a "10" model takes off makeup, and the semi-attractive woman puts on war paint, who is prettier? If you guessed the chick wearing lipstick (and whatever else women dab into their faces), you'd be guessing right! People often can't see the obvious.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's funny how describes 4:2:2 as 2 samples of the blue and 2 samples of the red, While it's clearly the opposite, Cb is the blue-difference and Cr is the red-difference chroma components in a YCbCr signal. And also his unintentional misleading statement that the MP4 box captures 4:2:2, DVD 4:2:0 and DV 4:1:1 while in reality they all capture in 4:2:2 in the ADC stage but they output as 4:2:0 for mp4 and DVD and 4:1:1 for DV. A pro tech should not be talking this language.
    Quote Quote