VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Moving all my movies to Plex! Have been using MakeMKV with a resounding success. I have 7 discs left that I had trouble with as I went through my collection, all DVDs: Some single-sided Marx Brothers movies (double-sided ones in the same set work great), Beetlejuice, and the Back to the Future trilogy. I've tried multiple optical drives with the same results. Gets about 2/3 through the disc and pukes with read errors. Tried ISOBuster and that was taking a million years and I had no indication of how well things were progressing. I started IsoPuzzle and true to what I was seeing, I get part through and then REDDDD. It seems to be plowing through, but will take about a million years.

These discs play great on every player in the house, but on VLC, it gets to a point in the movie and then barfs.

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I searched and couldn't find a solution. Anybody seen this before? Any better fixes?
    [Attachment 53155 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. The way that is acting reminds me of a copy protection scheme that used to be used to copy protect floppies. A defective sector would be placed in the write process or even a physical defect placed on the media that caused a copy program or a computer reading the disk to come across a read error and stop. The stand alone player is directed to skip that sector but the computer trying to copy every sector gets stalled by the bad sector.
    I haven't actually seen that used for a DVD but those disks might be a special case used by a company that made their own media.
    If you let IsoPuzzle or IsoBustor finish, it might be about the only way to get through a scheme like that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This can also be a physical defect of the dvd.
    As a last hope you can try to copy your DVD to an iso with H2cdimage. This is a german program, only for the Windows cmd console.

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2cdimage-39056
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've tried every program mentioned here (with the exception of the German one I can try). Each one gets about 71-73% through and then either pukes out or says that it will take about 3 weeks to complete the rip.

Even though I'm quarantined, I don't think I have the patience to deal with that crap.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    This can also be a physical defect of the dvd.
    As a last hope you can try to copy your DVD to an iso with H2cdimage. This is a german program, only for the Windows cmd console.

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2cdimage-39056
    Any idea how to use this thing? I majored in computer engineering and German in college, but they must have missed this chapter in 20th Century German Literature in Film.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Examine the disc for defects. DVDs read from inside out....finger damage or scratches usually occur where (near) the end of the movie would be on the disc.
    Stand alone players are designed to ignore these type of errors for the most part. Computer burners.....not so much.
    Long ago I had 3 LG burners stacked in my PC.....ONE of those would surely plow through a problem disc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by thisisnotadream View Post
    Any idea how to use this thing? I majored in computer engineering and German in college, but they must have missed this chapter in 20th Century German Literature in Film.
    start a cmd window, navigate to your folder with H2cdimage.exe.
    execute lsscsi.exe. This shows your scsii hardware addresses (g.e. 1:0:0). remember the address of your BR/DVD/CD Reader/Writer.
    Insert your DVD and execute into the command window:
    H2cdimage 1:0:0 X:\dvd_image -i
    (1:0:0 is the hardware scsi address, replace with yours, X: is the drive where the iso is created).
    for example, if your DVD reader can only read 80%, you can copy the image file to another computer and continue with its DVD reader:
    The command is then: H2cdimage 1:0:0 X:\dvd_image (without -i).
    Last edited by ProWo; 7th May 2020 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote