VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm converting some 21:9 or other odd ratio letterboxed dvds to 720p mkvs using avisynth and ffmpeg.

But I'm wondering whether to crop the videos to the actual video image rather than keep the black borders? This is so I could have sharp black borders when its blown up on 1080p tvs.

Is having odd vertical resolutions going give issues to players though? Eg: One I did is 1280x528.

Or does it always have to be 1280x720? Do I need to explicitly put a 16:9 ratio in ffmpeg?

Help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Leave the video in its original state e.g. 2.35:1, without black borders. They will be added automatically during playback in the player or on the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Leave the video in its original state e.g. 2.35:1, without black borders. They will be added automatically during playback in the player or on the TV.
    Thought as much.

If I was to use that same video to use for blu-ray spec discs, can I still use the odd resolution file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bassquake View Post
    If I was to use that same video to use for blu-ray spec discs, can I still use the odd resolution file?
    No.

https://www.videohelp.com/hd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Leave the video in its original state e.g. 2.35:1, without black borders. They will be added automatically during playback in the player or on the TV.
    Depends on players. Some will not do atypical AR.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bassquake View Post

No. You have to comply with blu-ray standard frame dimensions. You would have to add the borders back.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I never encode borders. Remember when widescreen film could be found on 4:3 DVDs with black bars top and bottom? When viewed on a 16:9 display, there'd be black bars all around the small picture in the centre. You mightn't always view the video on a 16:9 display. I'm not aware of any MKV capable player that requires 16:9 dimensions. The Blu-ray players here don't care about resolution when playing video via USB. Neither does the TV's media player.

For Blu-ray spec discs, the borders are required.

I've seen quite a bit of iTunes video with "odd" resolutions. 1276x720 or 1916x1076 etc. I doubt they'd do it if it was likely to be a problem for players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for confirming guys.

Edit: Just a quick note. I needed to add the aspect command in ffmpeg:

-aspect: 2.424

for the 1280x528 video as software players like VLC would stretch to fill a 16:9 screen.
    Last edited by Bassquake; 6th May 2020 at 07:46. Reason: ffmpeg command fix
    Quote Quote