VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all.. i know there was a similar question here 7 years ago, but that was well.... 7 years ago. Can anyone please recommend a FREE way to compress/reduce a m2ts file to a lower bitrate m2ts file?? I have seen many programs that can convert m2ts to xyz, but none yet that can go from m2ts to m2ts AND with the ability to manually choose a specific lowered bitrate.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vidcoder and encode to mkv and then run the mkv through tsmuxer to produce a m2ts.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And STOP creating new threads that are actually just continuations of your others. This is the 4th thread on your same topic!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Use vidcoder and encode to mkv and then run the mkv through tsmuxer to produce a m2ts.
    That worked! Thank you. So now i've discovered the problem and its with cyberlink powerdirector. When trying to create a blu-ray disc set at 720X480 output, it automatically boosts any file lower than 8Mps, up to 8Mps. So once again, I have a 50GB blu-ray someone made (I wish I knew what program they used) that has 23hours on it at 4Mps for each file so obvioulsy it can be done. I just need to find out if I can prevent PD from boosting my m2ts from 4Mps back up to 8Mps. I can't see someone being able to answer that from them seeing the subject line/title of this thread so should I create a new one asking for help with powerdirector????
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    And STOP creating new threads that are actually just continuations of your others. This is the 4th thread on your same topic!

Scott
    OK, I resolved the question of this thread and now discovered the problem is with Powerdirector. So, to please you, should I post a new thread seeking help with powerdirector specifically?? It automatically boosts my 4Mps file to 8Mps when trying to create a blu-ray disc and I am hoping there is a way to override that. BUT if someone is just scanning subject titles of threads, I feel it would be more beneficial if the title had powerdirector in it to attract those familiar with that program so they would click on it. Let's say (as an example) you nor john the supermod have any experience working with powerdirector. So since you both are the only ones who have kindly written something on this thread, you would be the only ones to see this new problem I have added and it would become a dead end. Correct? Which I would then have to create a new thread anyway with "powerdirector help" needed in the title. Unless you were so nice as to go out of your way to contact another on here in a private message and say, "hey joe blow needs powerdirector help and I know your a pro with that so please view the thread he did titled "....". What say you? What would you do in my situation here?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't create a new PowerDirector thread! It simply isn't necessary. Just continue in your original one: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/397035-how-did-someone-put-23-hours-of-video-on-one-Blu-Ray-disc

[Edit]Restricting discussions regarding an individual member's problem to a single thread is one of the VideoHelp forum rules.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th May 2020 at 15:36.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just select the bitrate you want. See this thread:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44516.page
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Just select the bitrate you want. See this thread:

Thanks...that is for when you "produce" in powerdirector. I do love how that section allows you to manually set any output. I did that and the final result was 4Mps like i wanted. I also did a 2nd one at 8Mps. The problem is in the "create disc" tab which doesnt allow you to set a bitrates. When I imported the 8Mps one, it remained the same size. But when I imported the 4Mps one, it automatically brought it up to 8Mps which increased the file size by 5GB.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by BabyDaddy View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Thanks...that is for when you "produce" in powerdirector. I do love how that section allows you to manually set any output. I did that and the final result was 4Mps like i wanted. I also did a 2nd one at 8Mps. The problem is in the "create disc" tab which doesnt allow you to set a bitrates. When I imported the 8Mps one, it remained the same size. But when I imported the 4Mps one, it automatically brought it up to 8Mps which increased the file size by 5GB.
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the program. But this seems to imply there should be bitrate settings in the Create Disc section:

http://powerdirector.helpmax.net/en/creating-discs/disc-preferences/

Also, it's common for authoring software to have a setting something like "don't re-encode non-conforming videos", or "allow out-of-spec videos". That tells the program not to re-encode video that may be a little out of spec. Of course, the result may or may not be usable depending on how out of spec it is.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by BabyDaddy View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the program. But this seems to imply there should be bitrate settings in the Create Disc section:

http://powerdirector.helpmax.net/en/creating-discs/disc-preferences/

Also, it's common for authoring software to have a setting something like "don't re-encode non-conforming videos", or "allow out-of-spec videos". That tells the program not to re-encode video that may be a little out of spec. Of course, the result may or may not be usable depending on how out of spec it is.
    I wish there was a disc preferences option. Well technically there is but its very basic (see photo) and no way to set bitrates nor a 720X480/24p option. That link you provided must be for a newer or older version than mine. This pic im attaching shows the limited options I have with creating a disc. I have asked a few people if newer versions allow more preferences but no response yet. Thank you so much for trying to help. Maybe someone else on here will know of something.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PD.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	53118  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    3 things:

1. Have you tried using the "SmartFit" preset option?

2. Have you tried going to the app folder to see if those dropdown "presets" reside in some text file that is editable (aka you create your own presets, manually).

3. I see in your screencap that you have selected h264 as the codec. Unless I am mistaken, I do not believe that is allowable for SD material - only MPEG2 is supported. Perhaps that is your issue?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Also check the global preferences, if any.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    3 things:

1. Have you tried using the "SmartFit" preset option?

2. Have you tried going to the app folder to see if those dropdown "presets" reside in some text file that is editable (aka you create your own presets, manually).

3. I see in your screencap that you have selected h264 as the codec. Unless I am mistaken, I do not believe that is allowable for SD material - only MPEG2 is supported. Perhaps that is your issue?

Scott
    Scott, I tried the smartfit option. For h264 it wasnt quite smart, as although it lowered file size overall, it still remained over 50GB for BD. It was ALMOST smart enough for mp2 by lowering it to 49.5GB (hence mp2 is better for SD on a BD like you thought). BUT, technically a 50GB BD really only has 46GB of record-able space so I need to get it 4GB lower(?).
    When I changed the disc type from 50GB to 25GB, then smart fit, the file lowered to 47GB. SO, I wonder if even though disc type is set to 25GB, but I have a 50GB disc in the burner, that it will continue burning data beyond that 25GB preset mark? If so, I dont want to delete a couple videos from the project to get it below 46GB but can as a last resort.
    Unfortunately, there is no dropdown preset text file in the create disc tab. There is one for the "produce/render" tab though and its great. I wish the files would just carry over as is in "create disc", and/or maintain the same presets you enter in the "produce/render" tab.
    Quote Quote