VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As the title says, I'm looking for the last Windows XP compatible version of MPC-HC. I've been using MPC since MS dumped Media Player but now as I experiment with an XP virtual machine, I can't seen to get recent MPC-HC versions to work although it is stated on the download details that it IS Windows XP compatible.

More specifically, I'm trying to get a version recent enough that allows to change the playback speed without the 'chipmunk effect' - by keeping the pitch constant

When installing a decently recent version, I get the error "mpc-hc is not a valid win32 application"

I've looked as the MPC-HC executable in Resource Tuner and under version, the OS version does appear to be "NT (WINDOWS32)", so I wonder what could be wrong.

Thanks for any insights you may have - it's driving me nuts. I'm trying to get this virtual machine to work to keep my sanity with my legacy apps.

Be understanding, I'm new here, feel free to move this thread to wherever it's supposed to be classified under.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are 64 and 32 bit versions here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/Media-Player-Classic-Home-Cinema

You're going to have to dig to find one you like.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MPC-HC v1.7.13 is the last winxp compatible version,can't test cause i ditched it winxp years ago.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    MPC-HC v1.7.13 is the last winxp compatible version,can't test cause i ditched it winxp years ago.
    I already tried this version, specifically 1.7.13.112.x86 and got the same error message. Thanks for letting me know however 👍 I'll try the next older version.

OK so I tried and version 1.7.13.32.x86 seems to the last version that works on XP. Unfortunately, that doesn't solve my need for constant pitch for viewing instruction videos at greater than normal speed...
    Is there a possibility to get that fixed using a custom compile of the source code and if so, could someone tell me where to look at ? I'm fairly computer literate and have used computers since programming in FORTRAN in the days of the PDP-11, but have never used Microsoft compilers that you apparently need to produce windows executables... Or am I getting into something that's way over my head here?

Thanks again for your advice, folks 👍
    Last edited by Old Faithful; 3rd May 2020 at 17:58. Reason: Tested a few other versions since first posting
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You picked the wrong version, its MPC-HC v1.7.13 in the 86 version.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Portable version 1.7.2 dated 14/1/26 also works
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mpchc172.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	53081  

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You picked the wrong version, its MPC-HC v1.7.13 in the 86 version.
    Indeed that one works, and the one right after, 1.7.13.32 as well 👍
    I also tried others after that and they don't work. Ah well! The problem remains unsolved, to find an XP compatible version on which pitch can remain constant regardless of playing speed, like newer versions can.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I ALWAYS install portable versions of software and make my own for those that aren't inherently portable It's the only way to keep Windows clean - allow me to NOT get into a political debate as to why the Registry and Installers are Evil
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Old Faithful View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I ALWAYS install portable versions of software and make my own for those that aren't inherently portable It's the only way to keep Windows clean - allow me to NOT get into a political debate as to why the Registry and Installers are Evil
    Even the MPCHC portable version writes to Hkey_Current_User to keep it's settings.
    There may be a tweak within MPCHC somewhere for it to use an ini file,
    but I haven't bothered with it
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by Old Faithful View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Even the MPCHC portable version writes to Hkey_Current_User to keep it's settings.
    There may be a tweak within MPCHC somewhere for it to use an ini file,
    but I haven't bothered with it
    You are right and indeed, under Options, Player, Other, there is a checkbox to "store settings in .ini file"
    Quote Quote