VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Hauppauge USB-Live2 and use Hauppauge Capture software, via S-Video input. All drivers and software are the latest versions.

Hauppauge Capture has a persistent issue of the capture suddenly stuttering. The capture contains the stuttering. I have to start again and redo the capturing, sometimes several times, until it 'behaves itself' for the entire length of the material I am trying to capture.

Can anyone help please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    USB conflict. Capturing to the system drive. Other software using resources. Just a few possibilities.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, what is USB conflict and how would I see if this is the issue?

I capture directly onto an external hard drive.

My PC has 16GB RAM. I have spent some time limiting system resources. It seems to make no difference.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You advise me to try pulling out all other USB leads to devices I am not using just before I begin to capture and see if this resolves it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would help if Hauppauge had good technical support, alas they don't
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. You have eliminated most of my concerns. I must confess that as a USB-Live 2 user I have not had any such issues but I do capture to an internal drive separate from OS drive and on 6 gb of ram. Also I am still on Win7 since Win10 is not the most capture-friendly OS out there.

If other devices are connected and switched on the USB bus may still be listening.

I would also turn off as many non-required services etc e.g. Virus Protection and, of course, disconnect from the internet (turn router off)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The external drive also USB? Perhaps the USB bus is overloaded.
    During capture, try opening Task Manager details tab and get a feel for CPU usage. How much and who's using it
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Guys.

Yes, external drive is connect via USB. I will change Hauppauge Capture's recording path to an internal drive, unplug all other USB leads and disconnect from the Internet tomorrow and see if this solves it. I have checked CPU usage before, and there's nothing to alarm me but will recheck while its capturing tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1975 also connected via an adjacent USB port. It's powered off when I use the USB-Live2, and has no S-video/2xRCA phonos connected to the 1975 when I use the USB-Live2.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I cannot yet be conclusive, but I'm becoming increasingly confident the mystery may have been solved.

I changed the recording path from my external hard drive to my internal D drive and, touch wood, it has been free from any stuttering incidents. I've captured nearly five hours without any problem. I regularly defrag all my drives to avoid it having any undue struggle to write the data, without system resources taking any unnessesary strain.

There is an issue with the USB-Live2 however, though I've seen mentions of it elsewhere online and the feeling is that it's due to poor isolation between video and audio circuits within the device. I am getting some audio whistling, particularly evident when capturing material with silent sections. It is not terrible but it certainly is there. My HD PVR2 and WinTV-HVR-1975 is nice and silent in comparison.

If anyone has a USB-Live2 can they see if theirs is the same, please. I am not saying it is really bad, it is relatively slight but once you know it's there, it is annoying and the fact that it's doing it sits uncomfortably with me. Please use headphones, whack the volume up fairly high and listen at mute sections of material, while making a capture from a VHS or S-VHS videotape. Obviously ensure your VCR is outputting from the Hi-Fi tracks. You will certainly hear it if its doing it the same as mine. I am using Hauppauge Capture for the capturing, by the way.

Any other thoughts or comments, guys?
    Last edited by DPage; 5th May 2020 at 08:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to assist but being somewhat 'mutt and jeff' I would not notice it. So I have not experience that issue.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it is a design oversight, which I suspect it is, then I suppose the only way of overcoming it is to use a different capture device.

I'll go into a little more detail as to why I even have a USB-Live 2.

Just over a year ago, I purchased the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1975, for capturing from S-VHS and VHS tapes to the PC in MPEG2. It has a hardware MPEG2 encoder and it has proved very good. I have been happy with the results.

I have used it with Hauppauge Capture, not the WinTV software (which I hate). Although Hauppauge Capture does not *officially* support the WinTV-HVR-1975, it works fine and I can set the video quality up to a maximum of 10Mbps.

However, I have discovered that if I try to capture letterboxed 4:3 material (such as 14:9 or 16:9 letterboxed 4:3 etc), I get an occasional instance of purple pixellation at the top of the screen, it's always located somewhere within the black area at the top. Full 4:3 material is fine, only letterboxed 4:3 content does the 1975 have a problem with. I verified that it is exactly the same when using the WinTV software (i.e. its offically-supported software). Hauppauge support UK said they think my 1975 is faulty. So, I tried to hunt down another 1975, as it had recently been discontinued, I found one remaining unit available on Haupauge's Germany site and purchased it immediately, just a few weeks ago. Low and behold, it is exactly the same! So, I sent it straight back for a refund.

So, the WinTV-HVR-1975 seems to have an inherent problem with letterboxed 4:3 content. The purple pixellation occurs far too frequently to tolerate. This is the reason I purchased the USB-Live2, just for transferring my letterboxed 4:3 material. I continue to use my WinTV-HVR-1975 for transferring my regular 4:3 material (i.e. not letterboxed).

I do not have that much letterboxed 4:3 material left to transfer, so it is unlikely I will purchase any other device. It probably just isn't worth it.
    Last edited by DPage; 5th May 2020 at 13:03.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a theory.

Try capturing at 702x576.

I won't go into it further than that.

Just do it,

see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coming back to this topic, I do wonder if the stuttering, other than the HDD issue, is due to using the 'latest' version of the Hauppauge capture software.

They do state that the software is compatable with the USB-Live but NOT the latest version. You would have to use the previous one as per the details on their download page.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thought.

Now I am pretty sure that the USB-Live when using the WinTV software only allows for a max bitrate of 6000 kbps whereas you have stated that the other software allows for a higher bitrate. I know we have had this discussion elsewhere but maybe for Mpeg2 this is all it can handle and the stuttering is then due to lost frames with the higher rate even when on an internal drive. It can handle higher but using lossless codecs.

Also, on reflection, I think jwillis84 meant to write 704*576 not 702*576. The difference is subtle but important. Mind you not much capture software supports that - I had a vintage Matrox card that did - and, probably, vdub that comes to mind but not natively as mpeg2.
    Quote Quote