VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone. I hope you are well. Three years ago I converted all my older 'videos' from multi formats to digital except my mini DVD-R's from my Hitachi DZ-MV730A. I could not find a service that converts this media type. I am newly settled in a new place and want to convert a bunch of these discs. Haven't used the camcorder in years. Two questions - how can I tell, using the Camcorder, if a disc has already been finalized? And does anyone know how I can turn them into digital files that I can share with the family? I am working on a 2015 MacBook Pro (with Retina) that has Parallels and Windows 10. I do have the Hitachi user manual but it might as well be in Japanese for the extremes - too little info or too complicated. Thank you so much for your input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It doesn't hurt it if you try to finalize a disc that has already been finalized. So try them all.

And don't digitize them, they are already digital. Just copy the contents to your harddrive and use the files (VOB or similar media files, depending on how your cam structures things). These can, if necessary, be converted (probably to avc/h264 in mp4 file) for other uses such as mobile playback, uploading/sharing, etc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for clarifying that Scott I wasnít aware of that. So that makes the finalization part a non-issue. Iím a little confused about your other response though. I misspoke. I shouldnít have said digitized. When I originally was converting everything I was converting VHS tapes and 8 mm as well. I know itís digital, but itís in a format thatís not readable by my Mac or my TV. So somehow I need to convert it. The camcorder is old and very limited in what it can and canít do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, I'm gonna back up a bit and tell you that it is possible to create 2 vastly different (internally, structure) dvd types using that cam.
    Dvd-Ram and Dvd-R.

The kind that is most compatible with standard dvd-video players is dvd-r. It has the standard, expected *.VOB, *.IFO, & *.BUP in the VIDEO_TS folder.
    The other kind, while it has potential to do some useful tricks with the material - after it has been recorded - and allows for a more dynamic presentation more like authored Hollywood titles, is the LEAST STANDARD of the dvd standards. It has a *.VRO file instead of the *VO, which resides in a DVD_RTAV folder.

One benefit of the Ram format is that it doesn't need finalizing to be readable.

Which format is yours? You might simply be able to tell on the face/surface of the discs, based on the logo.
    If not you should open the disc in a computer and look at which file structure matches the above.

If you have dvd-r, your job is much easier. You should be able to just copy the whole VIDEO_TS folder over to your drive and the convert it using one of the popular tools: DVDFab, Handbreak, MakeMKV (there are others). Or you could even just rewrap the vobs into mpgs using vob2mpg (doubt that is available on a Mac though).

If you have a dvd-ram, you still need to copy the files/folder over, but you will need different tools. I don't know of an mac tools that work w ram. On pc side, dvdvob2mpg, and tmpeg authoring works (but you will have to compile to std dvd-video folder first, and then treat is as a dvd-r like above) can read vro files. Not sure what else.

Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote