VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I was sent a device called Miranda picoLink ASD-272P from one of the members to make a capture comparison to the BE75 from the same tape and VCR (JVC HR-S7600AM) since both capture to digital SDI (SMPTE 259M-C @ 270 Mbit/s) 720x486 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL besides the 6 extra lines for NTSC which I trim off using VDUB it is essentially a AVI 4:2:2 10/8 bit selectable prior capturing and 24bit /48Khz audio.

For this comparison I used a pre recorded NTSC tape in 8bit and trimmed off 4 lines from bottom and 2 lines from top after capturing to make legal resolution while getting rid of some of the head switching noise (see the samples down below), Here are my findings about the device:

- Very small footprint or should I say no footprint at all since it's part of the S-Video cable.
    - It is S-Video only, no audio capabilities, so you have to run the audio out from the VCR to a separate audio card.
    - I think the BE75 is slightly sharper by looking at a piece of human hair, though it is hardly noticeable.
    - The Miranda gets really hot to the touch after the first few minutes of use.
    - Since it lacks a TBC I couldn't get most of home videos to play correctly, black flashes every 1-2 seconds, Some pre-recorded tapes play only with the VCR's line TBC on, The BE75 being built in TBC works on every tape I've tried so far with or without the VCR's line TBC.

Final thoughts: Since it requires external TBC and an audio capture card and it gets really hot I would not recommend the Miranda picoLink as a standalone reliable capture device.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks.

Were your tests done in VTR Mode? The datasheet claims: "The supported inputs range from stable, studio-type sources to satellite and VTR-type sources." But this may only refer to pro tape formats.

It's limited to 8-bit, BTW.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes that's why I chose 8bit, I don't want to upsample during capturing. yes it was in VTR mode.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!