VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I'm trying to rip an anime series and this is my first time dealing with the whole encoding process. As of right now I've ripped the first disc of the series and I'm not happy about the quality. I've been browsing the forum and seeing people say things like "Handbrake isn't enough" and "Use AVISynth+QTGMC" for best results so I figured I'd reach out for some help.

I attached a couple of photos (one of the DVD, and one from the copy) to this post so everyone can see what's going on. My biggest issue is I'm getting these weird lines + blocks in the image which I'm assuming is a de interlacing issue. I also attached a log from handbrake so you can see what settings I used.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD Example 3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	52917  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Encode Example 3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	465.5 KB
ID:	52918  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those are probably aren't deinterlacing artifacts. Post a short sample of the original DVD video (not reencoded) and your reencoded video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Here's two one minute video using the scene from the images above. If you need something with more movement like an action sequence, let me know.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aerohydrous View Post
    Here's two one minute video using the scene from the images above. If you need something with more movement like an action sequence, let me know.
    That's a DVD sample? That is a HD, 1080p encode.
    DVD is SD, 720x480 NTSC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I just recorded the screen on my desktop and sent a copy of that. Is that not adviseable? 😅
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just recorded the screen on my desktop and sent a copy of that. Is that not adviseable? 😅

If you want help getting a better encode, post some of the actual DVD.
    Use Dgindex to create a sample (use the [ and ] ). Then file/save project and demux video.
    Upload the m2v
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    How to make DVD samples using the free DGindex: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359295-Record-without-interlacing/page2#post2272359
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try these scripts: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rebtkv4wtd9i7ra/AAD9FM4IVM5-_T5TgWBRhnDia?dl=0
    rename .txt to .bat and execute after you put the file and the ffmpeg exe in the same folder
    bitrate or crf can be edited in the .txt pretty easily
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Apologize for taking so long to reply. Every time I try to use DGIndex to get a sample from the disc itself nothing happens... Trying to find software I can use to make .iso file of the DVD and go from there. I'll post as soon I have an update.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe DGindex expects you to open one of the VOB files directly, and that it's clear (decrypted)
    Last edited by davexnet; 27th Apr 2020 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Commercial discs have to be decrypted before you can use DgIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Alright, ripped the DVD to an .iso and was able pull the .vob files into DGIndex from there. Here are the results.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, ripped the DVD to an .iso and was able pull the .vob files into DGIndex from there. Here are the results.
    what program did you use to copy the dvd ??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    DVD-Cloner
    Quote Quote  
  15. Your "Encoded Sample 2.mkv" doesn't show the distortions in your original post. If you are still seeing those distortions when paying that video you have a playback problem.

Also, the DVD has simple 3:2 pulldown (though it wouldn't surprise me of some other parts of the video is different) so it should be encoded at 23.976 fps. That can usually be done adequately with Handbrake.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Apr 2020 at 17:08.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your "Encoded Sample 2.mkv" doesn't show the distortions in your original post. If you are still seeing those distortions when paying that video you have a playback problem.
    Agreed. I was just about to say, except for the micro stutters due to the footage without the decimation,
    it doesn't look too bad

I see the example is progressive mpeg-2 @ 29.97. Is the OP trying to create a shrunk DVD as october262 has mentioned?
    Last edited by davexnet; 27th Apr 2020 at 17:14.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-Cloner
    when copying the disc, is there an option to shrink / compress the file in order
    to burn to a recordable disc ?? should be an option to select DVD5 (compression) or DVD9 (no compression)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    DVD-Cloner
    when copying the disc, is there an option to shrink / compress the file in order
    to burn to a recordable disc ?? should be an option to select DVD5 (compression) or DVD9 (no compression)
    Ah, yes! I've just noticed the options now. I can do a 1:1 or go from DVD 9 to DVD 5. (there is also various other options)
    Realizing now that in the DVD sample I sent, I compressed the .iso by accident; I'm doing a 1:1 copy now!
    Last edited by Aerohydrous; 27th Apr 2020 at 18:05.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Your "Encoded Sample 2.mkv" doesn't show the distortions in your original post. If you are still seeing those distortions when paying that video you have a playback problem.
    Agreed. I was just about to say, except for the micro stutters due to the footage without the decimation,
    it doesn't look too bad

I see the example is progressive mpeg-2 @ 29.97. Is the OP trying to create a shrunk DVD as october262 has mentioned?
    I am NOT trying to create a shrunken DVD, encoding these so I can upload them to my plex server.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Also, the DVD has simple 3:2 pulldown (though it wouldn't surprise me of some other parts of the video is different) so it should be encoded at 23.976 fps. That can usually be done adequately with Handbrake.
    I just selected the the "CFR" and "match framerate to source" options in handbrake. Will switching to VFR get rid of the micro-stutters?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Here's the video IVTC'd to 23.976 fps in AviSynth. It could use some motion compensated temporal denoising too.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Aerohydrous View Post
    I just selected the the "CFR" and "match framerate to source" options in handbrake. Will switching to VFR get rid of the micro-stutters?
    No. Set the deinterlace method to detelecine. Set the frame rate to 23.976 fps, constant.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    it doesn't look too bad

I am NOT trying to create a shrunken DVD, encoding these so I can upload them to my plex server.
    Well, your example you encoded used mpeg-2, instead of the more usual H264 or H265 one would expect for
    media servers. Results in much smaller file sizes for similar looking quality
    Quote Quote  
  24. Encoded with my Qtgmc-GUI, encoder h264, CRF 18, DAR 4:3
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/Qtgmc-GUI_100.7z
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Encoded with my Qtgmc-GUI, encoder h264, CRF 18, DAR 4:3
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/Qtgmc-GUI_100.7z
    Not a bad alternative, but the decimate to 23.976 looks better
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Here's the samples from the uncompressed image. I also attached an encoded copy done at CFR 23.976 h.264 (I enabled detelecine and deinterlacing in handbrake for this one)

Are there any guides/tutorials/workshops on how to encode media properly? I would love to read up on the topic
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Aerohydrous; 27th Apr 2020 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the samples from the uncompressed image. I also attached an encoded copy done at CFR 23.976 h.264 (I enabled detelecine and deinterlacing in handbrake for this one)

Are there any guides/tutorials/workshops on how to encode media properly? I would love to read up on the topic
    read here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM

Your encode looks OK. What problems do you see?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Aerohydrous View Post
    "Encode Example 3.mkv" does not show the distortion in the image in your first post. Again, you probably have a playback problem. Try turning off hardware decoding in you media player.
    Quote Quote  
  30. The encoding I made in post #21 used this simple AviSynth script to inverse telecine the video:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("DVD Sample 2.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 
    TFM(d2v="DVD Sample 2.d2v") 
    TDecimate()
    The encoding was done with x264 CLI:

Code:
    x264 --preset="slow" --crf 18 --ref 4 --bframes 3 --keyint=50 --sar=8:9 --colormatrix=smpte170m --output "output.mkv" "input.avs"
    Quote Quote