VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys. I have a rare 25 disc boxset of an old TV animated series. I would like to archive them that way I can enjoy my copies and let the originals sit as the collector's item they were made to be. I was considering that since they are in standard definition, I would like to just author them onto blu ray discs. What is the recommended format and bitrate to get these from DVD to hard drive without any quality loss before compiling them onto the blu rays?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would go the mkv way, just download MakeMKV, make single mkv files from the discs and put them onto a usb device, like external HDD or similar
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    I would go the mkv way, just download MakeMKV, make single mkv files from the discs and put them onto a usb device, like external HDD or similar
    Try reading post #1 again. The O.P. wants to author the disc collection to bluray. You can't do that with mkv. Why mkv, by the way?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. I know that it is not possible to author a BD with mkv, but it is far more convenient to put the mkv files onto an USB drive and plug it into the TV and play it with integrated Media Player or play it on a dedicated HTPC or whatever. I pointed out a simpler and better solution than to author a Blu-ray Disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know where this fascination with klutzy TV media players comes from, or why USB drives are so elevated as storage media. You would backup up that USB drive to another one. It's going to take a very long time to get that collection as separate videos onto a USB drive and then to search for individual clips. Why go through all that when AnyAVCHD can convert DVD to BluRay format with no reencoding. BluRay does come in standard definition. For better authoring I 'd go with something like TMPGenc Authoring Works.

My concern is: Why BluRay? If anyone is thinking that DVD upsampled to HD BluRay for high defintiion will look great, they're going to be sadly disappointed -- the original DVD will look much better than the resulting re-processed BluRay. Standard definiton BluRay is part of the BluRay spec and can be had by changing containers from VOB to BluRay m2ts without re-encoding, especially since MPEG is valid for BluRay. Of course the result would have to be re-authored to new menus.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't use built in TV media players, I have a self built HTPC, but for most users it will be enough. USB drives can be better in the the long run then self burnt stuff. But don't use cheap USB drives, these will fail.
    I have some Corsair Flash Voyager GTX and also some Sandisk Extreme, and these are all fine and very fast. For many years now.

Get a 2 HDDs for Archival and a good quality USB Stick for using and you are fine.

I presented a method which works like a charm, is free except of HDDs and USB drive and you have a backup if really somehing will break, just get another HDD and copy it again on it. I use WD HDDs which are at least 7 years old and are working fine. But I have also bought some Seagate some years ago and can not say anything against these drives, despite I had one HDD with an error in the firmware (about 2007) which led to death and data was gone, but hey that's what a backup is for.

I don't want to argue, so I am out. It will take some till I come back here for giving "videohelp", ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DiggyDre View Post
    Hey guys. I have a rare 25 disc boxset of an old TV animated series. I would like to archive them that way I can enjoy my copies and let the originals sit as the collector's item they were made to be. I was considering that since they are in standard definition, I would like to just author them onto blu ray discs. What is the recommended format and bitrate to get these from DVD to hard drive without any quality loss before compiling them onto the blu rays?
    First, find out how the episodes are encoded on the DVDs. Depending on how the episodes are encoded for DVD it may be possible to author a Blu-ray disc without re-encoding the episodes at all. There is some overlap between the Blu-ray standard and the DVD standard. Blu-ray includes some SD interlaced resolutions (720×480 29.97 frames interlaced / 59.94 fields (4:3/16:9) and 720×576 25 frames interlaced / 50 fields (4:3/16:9)) as well as MPEG-2 video, plus AC3 audio and LPCM audio. You will need more Blu-ray discs to hold MPEG-2 video but no quality will be lost and it saves some time.

You will still have to create new menus for the Blu-ray copies because the DVD menus use different technology. If the DVDs include selectable subtitles, I'm not sure how to convert them for Blu-ray.

[Edit]I forgot to suggest some free DVD decrypters to remove copy protection and copy the DVD files and folders to your HDD so you can examine the video and audio. DVDFab HD Decrypter, DVD Decrypter, and DVD43 are older, free software that still works for copying many DVDs to a Windows PC hardware.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Apr 2020 at 12:54.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    I don't know where this fascination with klutzy TV media players comes from, or why USB drives are so elevated as storage media. You would backup up that USB drive to another one. It's going to take a very long time to get that collection as separate videos onto a USB drive and then to search for individual clips.
    Because people nowadays almost do not touch optical discs anymore. They use phones, laptops of some sort with no optical discs and if they do not use PlayStation or XBox they are touching discs almost by an accident.
    Backing up to to MKV or VIDEO_TS is just copying a files, also copying those to the other hardisks is fast and simple. Then handling them later an mass is a win. How is it more difficult?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DiggyDre View Post
    try dvdfab dvd to blu-ray converter - https://www.dvdfab.cn/dvd-to-blu-ray-converter.htm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Because people nowadays almost do not touch optical discs anymore. They use phones, laptops of some sort with no optical discs and if they do not use PlayStation or XBox they are touching discs almost by an accident.
    Fortunately I've saved my eyesight from the boredom and annoyance of watching movies being discolored by laptop screens and idiotically reduced and reencoded into distortion on iphones. It's a sad day for video indeed. No wonder this forum is so infamous for "help" in lowering quality standards. Count me out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Without thinking too hard.
    A dvd decrypter like anydvd.

Mpg2cut2 to rewrap vob files on disc into mpeg-2 mpg files.

https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw6.html
    Tmpgenc with Smart Encoder to avoid reencoding the mpg files when mastering blurays.

Tons of alternatives to each step.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    I would go the mkv way, just download MakeMKV, make single mkv files from the discs and put them onto a usb device, like external HDD or similar
    Try reading post #1 again. The O.P. wants to author the disc collection to bluray. You can't do that with mkv. Why mkv, by the way?
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6, which you suggested, appears to accept MKV files as input (with some limitations). This is from the table listing input formats at https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw6_spec.html:
    MKV (.mkv) *Limited to video and audio stream formats normally readable through the MPEG Reader.
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    I don't know where this fascination with klutzy TV media players comes from, or why USB drives are so elevated as storage media. You would backup up that USB drive to another one. It's going to take a very long time to get that collection as separate videos onto a USB drive and then to search for individual clips. Why go through all that when AnyAVCHD can convert DVD to BluRay format with no reencoding. BluRay does come in standard definition. For better authoring I 'd go with something like TMPGenc Authoring Works.

My concern is: Why BluRay? If anyone is thinking that DVD upsampled to HD BluRay for high defintiion will look great, they're going to be sadly disappointed -- the original DVD will look much better than the resulting re-processed BluRay. Standard definiton BluRay is part of the BluRay spec and can be had by changing containers from VOB to BluRay m2ts without re-encoding, especially since MPEG is valid for BluRay. Of course the result would have to be re-authored to new menus.
    What is "AnyAVCHD" and where does someone find it? I didn't find it in VH's software section and my search engine only found something called "Any AVCHD Converter" in the Mac App Store which converts video to formats that are playable with an iPad.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Fortunately I've saved my eyesight from the boredom and annoyance of watching movies being discolored by laptop screens and idiotically reduced and reencoded into distortion on iphones. It's a sad day for video indeed. No wonder this forum is so infamous for "help" in lowering quality standards. Count me out.
    You asked why folks would use media players that use USB connections (as oppose optical disks). I answered. That was about not using optical discs. That could mean using anything else available for streaming (player, DLNA device, casting ...). I was not recommending using laptop or phone to watch video. It is about not having DVD players or BD players handy or not having them at all or not trying " to burn a disk" which sounds to them like "burning witches" maybe. It is as it is. Sure young's now tend to use their ear buds and watching something in a corner somewhere, but that is something else.
    Quote Quote