VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. foobar2000 1.5.3 Portable.zip (49.3MB).
    I've replaced the old zip file with a new one. It fixes a couple of minor gremlins (see post #4).
    ffmpeg and ffprobe are no longer included as it halves the size of the zip file. There's instructions in the included text file explaining where to put them and what they're used for.
    If you're running XP, there's XP compatible versions of ffmpeg here: http://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/
    At the time of editing this post, newer versions are still added occasionally. Unfortunately the newest one at this time (dated 2020-01-03) wasn't built with the Rubberband filter that some of the encoder presets use. If you don't want to use them you can download the latest version. If you do, currently the newest built that includes Rubberband is this one:
    ffmpeg-4.3-dev-327-g83e0b71-win32-static-xpmod-sse.7z (dated 2019-08-30).
    If you're not running XP, you can either download ffmpeg from the above link, or download the official version.

About the portable foobar2000 in the zip file:

The link above is for a portable version of foobar2000 1.5.3 (XP compatible encoders). I'm uploading this as there's often threads asking how to convert audio files. This version of foobar2000 has converter and encoder presets for converting just about any format to any format.

You only need to extract the zip file somewhere and run foobar2000.exe. It's setup to be both an audio player and a converter (I use it for the latter almost daily). It's a "business only" configuration. It doesn't display album art or visualisations etc (aside from the output meters), but it displays a fair bit of information about audio files. It's configured for a 4:3 display, so you can run it on a wider display without it hogging the whole screen, or you can run it fullscreen and resize the various sections of the GUI. The left side of the GUI is dedicated to displaying your media library and won't display anything unless you tell fb2k where to find it. The right side of the GUI has tabs at the top for displaying playlists, and tabs below for displaying information about the files in those playlists.

There's lots of conversion presets. They can be used as a guide for creating your own. There's even more encoder presets. I rarely use many of them, but they've been saved as a reference so I don't need to remember the required command lines. For those who don't know, converter presets are a combination of an encoder preset, optional DSP configurations, and they can optionally use ReplayGain for adjusting the volume. An encoder preset only configures the encoder.

There's a text file included explaining where a few file paths need to be set along with some other info. It's nothing like a help file, but the idea was to provide a configuration of foobar2000 that makes it easy to learn to use it as an audio encoder, and it's almost identical to my normal setup anyway. If you have foobar2000 installed, the configuration files and theme file can be copied to the folder where they're located for the installed version, and the installed version will be exactly the same, but will also allow you to set file associations and enable explorer context menus.

There's a font included I'd recommend installing. The text display section on the lower right side uses it. The text display area requires a monospace font to display nicely, otherwise the text won't line up.

The first attached screenshot is my foobar2000 setup (running on XP). The second screenshot shows how the portable version looks when it's first run.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	foobar2000 1.5.3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	52831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	foobar2000 1.5.3 portable.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	52832  

Last edited by hello_hello; 24th Apr 2020 at 22:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I forgot to mention. The AVS Input component is included so foobar2000 can open, play and convert the audio from Avisynth scripts.

And something I overlooked.....

There's quite a few encoder presets that pipe from one encoder to another. They're easy to recognise because the presets have two encoders and a vertical line in their name. ie

FFmpeg | QAAC

Unfortunately, the easiest (and maybe only) way to pipe is to specify the full file path for each encoder. The example below uses ffmpeg to compress the audio, then it's piped to QAAC for encoding

Encoder: cmd.exe

Command line:
    /d /c c:\progra~1\foobar2000\encoders\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i - -ignore_length true -af dynaudnorm=f=150:b=1 -c:a pcm_f32le -f wav - | c:\progra~1\foobar2000\encoders\QAAC\qaac.exe --ignorelength -s --no-optimize --no-delay -V 91 -o %d -

For the piping encoder presets to work, the exe's need to be in the correct location. If you want to use them without modifying their command lines individually, create a folder called "foobar2000" in the "Program Files (x86)" folder and put a copy of the encoders folder from the zip file inside. That should allow the encoder presets that pipe to work straight away, and their individual command lines can be changed manually later if need be. It's not a good idea to put the portable version of fb2k in the "Program Files (x86)" folder as it'll prevent fb2k from updating it's configuration files.

All the non-piping encoder presets should work fine no matter where the portable version of fb2k is located on your PC.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd Apr 2020 at 13:41.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello
    [URL="https://files.videohelp.com/u/210984/foobar2000%201.5.3%20Portable.zip"
    foobar2000 1.5.3 Portable.zip[/URL] (104MB because there's lots of goodies included).

The link above is for a portable version of foobar2000 1.5.3 (XP compatible encoders).
    I have downloaded the Zip file. Scanned it by virus total and found 2 engines detected this file.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8993a3bcc7fb5c9e899d63b066e9902d5eff15c740719ac347...3a01/detection

For information please.

Anyway, I have been using FB2K with your presets for conversion of various formats almost every day. Thanks for your offerings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're welcome.

I looked at your link and it appears the file was scanned with a bunch of antivirus engines and two of them resulted in false positives. The rest of them declared the file to be clean.

I'm going to replace the zip file in the opening post with a new version shorty. I discovered the bundled ffmpeg wasn't built with the Rubberband filter that some of the speedup/slowdown encoder presets use, and as a result of checking that I also discovered I'd named the ffmpeg/Rubberband encoder presets incorrectly, so I've fixed those. I'll upload a new zip file without ffmpeg. That'll reduce the file size quite a bit, and I'll add a link for the most recent XP compatible version of ffmpeg to the opening post at the same time.
    Quote Quote