VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm just trying to understand colors are wrong or not for some trailer.

Checked luminance range with Avspmod and looks fine. [16, 235] , but screens looks washed to me.

Liked with tweaked SmoothLevels .

But how can I understand if the levels are wrong in this case ?

Thanks for helping.

Screens from trailer attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ?? how could they be wrong if that's what the editor of the film wanted them to look like?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's like when people think Normalize will fix all audio ills, but take no notice of the distribution in the dynamic range. MAX to 0dB could do little to nothing if there is a lone spike.

Similarly in video, that's why videos/films can be shot to be "high key" (think dream sequence with ballerinas in heaven) or "low key" (film noir, gangster shows, gothic horror). And/or the gamma could be off.

But I agree, unless it's already been modified by someone else, why do you think you know better than its creator about how the clip should look? Just askin'.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. You posted RGB images. Video is stored as YUV. We don't know how you converted from YUV to RGB so we don't know if your images truly reflect what's in the video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You posted RGB images. Video is stored as YUV. We don't know how you converted from YUV to RGB so we don't know if your images truly reflect what's in the video.
    Untouched video:

https://mega.nz/file/7E0R0B6D#RF542GRnfEcwde_YmstFQrsv5ICN3CRs75aj9RXEC0s
    Quote Quote  
  6. The black levels are high (aside from the black borders) and the white levels are low. But I would guess that's intentional for the clip. Is the whole movie like that? What's the name of the movie?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The black levels are high (aside from the black borders) and the white levels are low. But I would guess that's intentional for the clip. Is the whole movie like that? What's the name of the movie?
    Yes whole thing is same.

Name is "Atlantique (2019)".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Judging by a couple of trailers on YouTube -- that is a deliberate look.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The trailer at IMDB has many of the same shots with darker blacks and brighter whites. Including other shots with blacks down to Y=16 (RGB=0,0,0) and whites at Y=235 (RGB 255,255,255).

My guess is the levels in the IMDB trailer are correct, and whoever made the other trailer screwed up the levels.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Apr 2020 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote