VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

So I've converted a bunch of mkv files from 25 fps to 23.976 fps, setting them at 24000/1001p with MKVToolNix. They play fine on my computer but the playback is very jumpy on my Sony blu-ray player. What I don't get is that I have some old mkv files that were also slowed down to 23.976 and those play fine on the same player.

The only difference I notice is that jumpy mkv files indicate 25.000 fps as the Original frame rate, while the ones that play fine only indicate the new Frame rate.
    Is there a way to remove the Original frame rate flag? I'm thinking that would fix the issue. I've tried with JMkvpropeedit but I couldn't do it.

Than you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try ticking "Fix bitstream timing info" when remuxing in MKVToolNix GUI. (It's slightly below where you set the fps.)

How are you handling the audio?
    Quote Quote  
  3. That did the trick, thank you!

I ended up finding this command line for the audio, and it worked great:

for %%a in (*.ac3) do ffmpeg -y -i "%%a" -map 0:0 -af asetpts='25025/24000*(PTS-STARTPTS)',aresample=48000:async=1:min_comp=0.01:c omp_duration=1:max_soft_comp=100000000:min_hard_co mp=0.3 -vn -c:a ac3 -b:a 640k -ar 48000 "%%~na.new.ac3"
    Quote Quote  
  4. A couple of those mkv files were incorrectly ripped at 23.976 fps instead of 25 though, which results in a jerky playback, but I'm also unable to slow them down to the correct speed with MKVToloNix since 24000/1001p won't change the frame rate. Is there a way to fix those files by any chance?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You have to reencode the video to 23.976 FPS.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Nico Darko View Post
    A couple of those mkv files were incorrectly ripped at 23.976 fps instead of 25 though, which results in a jerky playback, but I'm also unable to slow them down to the correct speed with MKVToloNix since 24000/1001p won't change the frame rate. Is there a way to fix those files by any chance?
    If you encode 25 frames as 23.976 frames without changing the speed you drop ~1 frame per second or have ugly blended frames. This is difficult to reverse so there is no easy fix short of re-ripping the DVDs (or whatever it is you are ripping from).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by Nico Darko View Post
    A couple of those mkv files were incorrectly ripped at 23.976 fps instead of 25 though, which results in a jerky playback, but I'm also unable to slow them down to the correct speed with MKVToloNix since 24000/1001p won't change the frame rate. Is there a way to fix those files by any chance?
    If you encode 25 frames as 23.976 frames without changing the speed you drop ~1 frame per second or have ugly blended frames. This is difficult to reverse so there is no easy fix short of re-ripping the DVDs (or whatever it is you are ripping from).
    Yeah I didn't think it was fixable, just wanted to be sure, thanks.
    Quote Quote