VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to archive some disks of shows I recorded and bin the disks for space. Should I select 'deinterlace' when ripping?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gil T Remnant View Post
    I'd like to archive some disks of shows I recorded and bin the disks for space. Should I select 'deinterlace' when ripping?
    Ripping has nothing to do with deinterlacing. That would be beyond ripping. You do know what rip means, right? https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip
    Deinterlacing doubles the number of frames and lowers quality. You will also turn telecined DVD's into pure crap by deinterlacing.
    Why are you deinterlacing? Is your playback system that bad?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I'm looking to do is to copy the contents of the DVD in mpeg form to my HDD. Is this not 'ripping'? Regardless, I'm wanting no-reencoding or loss in the process. I'm seeing an option is MacxDVDRipper offering to "Deinterlace" and i am wondering what are the pros and cons?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VOB2MPG
    But are you on a mac?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no need to take on that tone. I'm simply asking, as before, what is the point of deinterlacing, since it is offered as an option in MacxDVDRipper?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Better use MakeMKV instead, download free key of developer and the video of the resulting MKV is 100% identical of the video on the DVD.

Deinterlacing is only needed for interlaced video, but since most TV streams are sent MBAFF, it is best to leave it as it is and simply play the file with your Media player which uses Deinterlacing automatically when necessay when playing the file.

No one offended you. Please be a bit more nice to us, we will help you, but we can only help you when we know that you are using a mac because the tools are far more limited on macs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Gil T Remnant View Post
    What I'm looking to do is to copy the contents of the DVD in mpeg form to my HDD.
    Not to be a wet blanket, but in my experience this often doesn't work out too well (with USA NTSC anyway: PAL recorder discs might fare better). A lot of dvd recorders created funky file formats that play just fine directly from the disc, but get somewhat crappier when rip-converted to a computer hard drive as a straight MPG file with VOB2MPG or an MKV with MakeMKV. These utilities work great with professionally produced dvds, but results from dvd recorder dvds are variable. If converting your dvds with these tools proves disappointing, consider making direct disc image clones on your hard drive instead (exact copy of the dvd file structure, menu and all). MacOSX Disk Utility should be able to do this for you, the image files would load in DVDplayer or other video playback apps just like a "real" disc.

If you value the material on these dvds at all, DO NOT discard them. Sooner or later, a mishap will occur where you might need to refer back to them to replace a video on HDD. As long as you didn't use the cheapest low-quality -R/+R blanks, or re-writable discs, the original recorder dvds are excellent backup insurance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Better use MakeMKV instead, download free key of developer and the video of the resulting MKV is 100% identical of the video on the DVD.

Deinterlacing is only needed for interlaced video, but since most TV streams are sent MBAFF, it is best to leave it as it is and simply play the file with your Media player which uses Deinterlacing automatically when necessay when playing the file.

No one offended you. Please be a bit more nice to us, we will help you, but we can only help you when we know that you are using a mac because the tools are far more limited on macs.
    I objected to the tone. I'm not offended. Whether the poster meant to be offensive, I doubt. FYI I am using MacxDVDRipper on both Windows and Mac platforms and both programs offer 'deinterlacing'. I guess as nobody is actually born knowing what this implies, it's incumbent upon us all, at some time in their lives, to actually 'ask' another person either on a forum or in a Google search. Which is what I did.
    I'm still waiting to be told what the advantage or even point of 'deinterlacing' is when ripping a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  10. There is no deinterlacing when only ripping, you only need it when you transcode it to another codec and probably containerformat. But don‘t do that if you don‘t even know when you should do it.

But that is no problem, just use MAKEMKV create the mkv file and the player will do it for you.
    You only need deinterlacing when your video is interlaced!

This is very basic stuff. And the tone was not bad, One if the moderators here simply helped you to get mac software.

We simply do not know all of your stuff, we need that info to help you fast and especialky properly. Every thing has some drawbacks ans should be avoided.

Deinterlacing is applied when your video is interlaced. Interlaced was used to get double motion resolution by using one half of a frame for one field and the other half for the other field. As you see you have double number of fields, so the video will be smoother but you only have half the vertical resolution. If you have any flatscreen, It will be preseting all progreassive that means full frames. But since you only have fields with onl half vertical resolution you need a deinterlacer which interpolates the missing lines.

Lines, because one field uses the 1, 3, 5, ... line and the other field the 2, 4, 6, ... line.

There are even lots of ways to do the deinterlacing.

But if you have progressive video and apply forcefully deinterlacing you will decrease the image quality a lot, best to be seen at diagonal lines, there will be ugly stairs instead of a smooth line.

Because of this background which is shortened a lot stay away from that software and use vob2mpg as suggested, but if you want modern video stuff use MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'm getting somewhere now. How do I know if my DVD is 'interlaced' then?
    Quote Quote  
  12. You don't need to know that, the player will deinterlace the interlaced material automatically for you. If it is progressive, then of course not, as you would get really bad quality, as I already wrote.
    But you can use MediaInfo, be sure to download the GUI - (64 bit only without installer) here: https://mediaarea.net/de/MediaInfo/Download/Windows
    But there is also MBAFF, if it is so, just leave the file as it is and let it do the player you while playing.

But keep in mind, you don't need to know, just play it and be happy
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll second (or third?) the use of MakeMKV for this. It is really simple, and gives you great (perfect?) quality.

I'm not exactly a "newbie", but I'm also not a pro at this stuff. I use the tools to do the simple things I need, and I've learned enough to get by. I use MakeMKV because it is so very simple.

If you would then like to compress the resulting .mkv file further (you really may want to, the file will be large), I recommend Handbrake. Again, it has simple built-in presets that you can use, or you can create your own once you are comfortable with it.

I'll also second the advice to keep the originals if they are valuable to you. Life always gets in the way, and files are often lost.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Gil T Remnant View Post
    How do I know if my DVD is 'interlaced' then?
    Anything you burned on a DVD recorder from off-air analog broadcasts or external satellite tuner is likely to be interlaced. AFAIK, most dvd recorders did not natively record in progressive mode from these sources. UK is different from North America, you had digital broadcasts before we did and many more PAL-market dvd recorders were available with inbuilt digital broadcast and satellite tuners. Units with such tuners might well record from them in non-interlaced progressive, but no directly-comparable units were sold in USA to verify (our digital ATSC broadcast system was different from DVBT and we never had inbuilt standard satellite tuners).
    Last edited by orsetto; 16th Apr 2020 at 15:32.
    Quote Quote