VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It has been a long time since I've tried to clean up VHS and the hard drive I had all my VirtualDub filters on is in storage somewhere.

I am attaching a (very) short sample of a VHS capture I have that I would like to remove what is either transmission lines or OTA static. I have done wonders with filters before, took a terrible snowy VHS capture and turned it watchable again but that was a different lifetime, it seems.

As far as color grading/correction, I have Premiere Pro for that. I just for the life of me can't remember what steps/filters I would use to clean this up. Most of the links I've tracked down are dead and I'm not even sure those are the filters I need.

I am looking to keep the image size the same, but obviously can convert if need be to do the correction and revert it back later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in pointing me in the right direction.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hopefully you have the video as a lossless file. The attached clip is more artifacts/noise than it is signal.

Avisynth will probably offer more useful plugins than VirtualDub to (try to) attenuate this super-heavy RF interference.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try something like
    Code:
    selectodd()
    bilinearresize(width()-640,height()-240).bilinearresize(width(),height())
    dfttest(sigma=1000,tbsize=7)
    and watch on a thumbnail display
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lossless required.
    The MPEG noise is overbearing on the clip, cannot even test for filters.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologize for not including lossless. AVI attached
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Looks like OTA adjacent channel interference. If I find time this weekend, I'll try a few scripts I have lying around. There will be no miracles, but it can certainly be made more watchable.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 17th Apr 2020 at 22:18. Reason: changed "RF" to "adjacent channel"
    Quote Quote