VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got an Old 2K Monitor (2560X1600) that only has dvi input. I can get full resolution on my desktop but theres no way to get it on my laptop via HDMI since it requires some type of specia active adapter, so the best i can get is 1280x800. This is not so practical to have a 720p resolution on a 30" Monitor. Can i at least software upscale this somehow to make everything seem smaller on the output. I know this will be heavily distorted but i dont care. I just donw wat everything to llok so big on the screen.

Tried some tools to set custom resolutions, but this cant help cause each a cable limitation. Best that a passive hdmi 2 dvi conversion can give is the aforementioned 1280x800. So i need somehing that upscales this internal and sends a 720p signal looking like 1080p or 1440p.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You dont need an adapter,just get a hdmi to dvi cable.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My god
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never mind what I wrote earlier. I had the connections reversed.

[Edit] HDMI on the laptop may not support WQXGA (2560 × 1600). 2560 × 1600 isn't listed among the supported resolutions on a table I saw on the Wikipedia HDMI page. Supported output resolutions for HDMI can also depend on the laptop's graphics adapter.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Apr 2020 at 13:52.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My suggestion was for getting a better resolution out such as 1920x1080 if your laptop supports it and having the monitor upscale it.You did mention that a passive hdmi to dvi only gives 1280x800 so is that your laptops maximum resolution?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I mentioned active/passive on original post so that i can make sure we are all on the same page and avoid these discussions. I didnt ask for adapters or which cable to use, i'm looking for a software solution. Laptop has got an hdmi output and monitor has only dvi. Of course i'm using an hdmi2dvi cable otherwise i would not be able to cnnect at all. Thing is though that due to the nature of hdmi and dvi-d the signal is not able to reach dvi completely so once it gets to dvi it will continue with half the bandwidth and end as 1280x800. Thats what passive means. Active on the other hand means that there is an active microcontroller chip that handles concersion and takes full advantage of each side so it can give the full bandwidth to the other side. But theres no point to go into full details, as i said i made an older topic and such adapter costs more than a new generation monitor. I want to use the monitor i got with the setup i got. And that means getting 1280x800 at the most.

What im asking is some kind of scaling, so icons and apps look smaller. I dont care about grphics ending up distorted, its for productivit use, not watching media or playing games. I tried forcing the scaling (Windows offers only 100% scaling and larger) with registry editor but i dont see any changes.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-change-dpi-scaling-level-displays-windows-10-a.html

I tired setting the LogPixels Value to 24/48/72 but everything continues to look the same. Can anybody think of another approach
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Active vs Passive = the presence of converting/amplifying electronics vs the absence of them. you had that mostly right.

hdmi uses a protocol & signalling pattern derived from dvi, which is why they are so very closely compatible, no active electronics needed.
    however, hdmi AND dvi (as well as dp, etc) use EDID handshake, aka negotiation of what the source and the sink have in common, as regards the H & V resolutions, the framerate & refreshrate, and the color sampling or subsampling. they have to agree on common factors across the board. and they have to coincide with certain families or tiered groupings of options, like in a table...NOT just any combination. active conversion must still do this handshake, and must still have common options, UNLESS the active converter includes a built in scalar, with a repository of additional edid options, in order to "spoof" the sink to the source, and then modify the signal to accommodate the sink.

Could be your laptop and/or your display are limited to certain smaller subset of families, and they have very little in common, with 1280x800 being the highest they can agree on.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 14th Apr 2020 at 01:12.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Active vs Passive = the presence of converting/amplifying electronics vs the absence of them. you had that mostly right.

hdmi uses a protocol & signalling pattern derived from dvi, which is why they are so very closely compatible, no active electronics needed.
    however, hdmi AND dvi (as well as dp, etc) use EDID handshake, aka negotiation of what the source and the sink have in common, as regards the H & V resolutions, the framerate & refreshrate, and the color sampling or subsampling. they have to agree on common factors across the board. and they have to coincide with certain families or tiered groupings of options, like in a table...NOT just any combination. active conversion must still do this handshake, and must still have common options, UNLESS the active converter includes a built in scalar, with a repository of additional edid options, in order to "spoof" the sink to the source, and then modify the signal to accommodate the sink.

Could be your laptop and/or your display are limited to certain smaller subset of families, and they have very little in common, with 1280x800 being the highest they can agree on.

Scott
    It does not matter. As i said made a post last year where this was discussed in great detail and still we can write a thesis on the subject. Bottom line is that there are active adapters that cost 100-150 and still maybe they cannot negotiate that handshake. And even if i knew they could work i would not spend 150 euros id just get a 200 euro Monitor from today than spend alomst that much on a gadget to use an 11 year old Monitor.

Why is everyone dodging the question and were still talking cables. Im just asking for software solution/hack/setting/tweak/workaround so that everything appears smaller. I really hope there is something that can be done in this manner
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Win10 has very good scaling capabilities. The usual settings features, along with the ctrl+mousescroll desktop icon sizing trick, ought to be enough to get you a decent image on many/most display sizes. if it is not, sounds like it's time to move on and buy a newer system.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have done all of this but i dont understand why windows does not offer sub 100% option forscaling. 75% would be ideal i guess. Anyway thanx for hearing me out, i hoped there could be some other trick somehow
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post

It does not matter. As i said made a post last year where this was discussed in great detail and still we can write a thesis on the subject. Bottom line is that there are active adapters that cost 100-150 and still maybe they cannot negotiate that handshake. And even if i knew they could work i would not spend 150 euros id just get a 200 euro Monitor from today than spend alomst that much on a gadget to use an 11 year old Monitor.

Why is everyone dodging the question and were still talking cables. Im just asking for software solution/hack/setting/tweak/workaround so that everything appears smaller. I really hope there is something that can be done in this manner
    I don't know of any software hacks that will allow you to force your laptop to output a resolution that its graphics adapter's drivers and HDMI connection don't support.

The question that needs to be answered in order to help you is: What resolutions and refresh rates are supported by both HDMI on the laptop and DVI-D on the monitor? Those are the only resolutions that you can use for the laptop's output. You haven't given us much information to help figure out the answer. We don't know what monitor you have or what resolutions the monitor supports. We also don't know what laptop you have or what output resolutions its graphics adapter supports. The computer details in your profile are of no help. They do not seem to apply to your current system.

We don't even know if the DVI-D connection on the monitor single-link DVI-D or dual-link DVI-D and what HDMI revision the laptop has.

[Edit} I found your earlier post on this subject: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391216-DVI-D-HDMI-Adapter-does-not-support-2K-Resolution

I will look at it again, but my guess is that the answer hasn't changed, assuming all the hardware is the same as before.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Apr 2020 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I don't know of any software hacks that will allow you to force your laptop to output a resolution that its graphics adapter's drivers and HDMI connection don't support.

The question that needs to be answered in order to help you is: What resolutions and refresh rates are supported by both HDMI on the laptop and DVI-D on the monitor? Those are the only resolutions that you can use for the laptop's output. You haven't given us much information to help figure out the answer. We don't know what monitor you have or what resolutions the monitor supports. We also don't know what laptop you have or what output resolutions its graphics adapter supports. The computer details in your profile are of no help. They do not seem to apply to your current system.

We don't even know if the DVI-D connection on the monitor single-link DVI-D or dual-link DVI-D and what HDMI revision the laptop has.
    Please forget about the hardware side of things. Re-Imagine the question being i got a 30" 720P Monitor! And i dont like how things appear big i want them smaller.

Much like how everything in 4K looks small even on 50 inch Screens so windows introduced scaling and makes them appear bigger while keeping the resolution unaffacted, well.... i'm looking for the exact opposite. I got a big screen that makes everythin look big and i want it to look smaller. I am not asking for magic and force resolutions when there are technical limitations. I accept that with this Monitor paired with said Laptop all i can get is 720p. I really do, cannot stress this enough it seems. If i want to go for the full 2K resolution i'll just connect it to my Desktop instead along with the DVI_D Dual layer cable, much like i have done all those years. But there is a scenario where i need to connect my laptop to that screen as well.

So Im just asking for some post processing to happen after the 720p signal reaches the Monitor so the elements (icons and windows) appear smaller. Not force a bigger signal.

IF you really want to take a trip down memory lane here is the original post from a year and a half ago where we discussed the technical side of things (which im asking not to do on this topic since the old one got me covered). You were even present on that one. TLDR from that topic was i need an hdmi-dp1.2 and a dpi1.2-dvi-d dual adapter. Each of those is difficult to find and costs 70-80 euros each. So once again, not looking for a hardware solution to solve this problem.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391216-DVI-D-HDMI-Adapter-does-not-support-2K-Resolution

EDIT: I see you found the topic as well while i was writing

I will look at it again, but my guess is that the answer hasn't changed, assuming all the hardware is the same as before.
    Exactly what ive been trying to tell you. The Answer hasnt changed, I'm not questioning the answer from the post, but instead the QUESTION has changed. The question is not how i can get full resolution. The question is i cant get full resolution (i acknowledge and come to terms with it) but since i cannot, how can i make things look smaller after they reach my Monitor on 720p resolution!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Please forget about the hardware side of things. Re-Imagine the question being i got a 30" 720P Monitor! And i dont like how things appear big i want them smaller.

Much like how everything in 4K looks small even on 50 inch Screens so windows introduced scaling and makes them appear bigger while keeping the resolution unaffacted, well.... i'm looking for the exact opposite. I got a big screen that makes everythin look big and i want it to look smaller. I am not asking for magic and force resolutions when there are technical limitations. I accept that with this Monitor paired with said Laptop all i can get is 720p. I really do, cannot stress this enough it seems. If i want to go for the full 2K resolution i'll just connect it to my Desktop instead along with the DVI_D Dual layer cable, much like i have done all those years. But there is a scenario where i need to connect my laptop to that screen as well.

So Im just asking for some post processing to happen after the 720p signal reaches the Monitor so the elements (icons and windows) appear smaller. Not force a bigger signal.

IF you really want to take a trip down memory lane here is the original post from a year and a half ago where we discussed the technical side of things (which im asking not to do on this topic since the old one got me covered). You were even present on that one. TLDR from that topic was i need an hdmi-dp1.2 and a dpi1.2-dvi-d dual adapter. Each of those is difficult to find and costs 70-80 euros each. So once again, not looking for a hardware solution to solve this problem.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391216-DVI-D-HDMI-Adapter-does-not-support-2K-Resolution

EDIT: I see you found the topic as well while i was writing

Exactly what ive been trying to tell you. The Answer hasnt changed, I'm not questioning the answer from the post, but instead the QUESTION has changed. The question is not how i can get full resolution. The question is i cant get full resolution (i acknowledge and come to terms with it) but since i cannot, how can i make things look smaller after they reach my Monitor on 720p resolution!
    I don't know how you can prevent your monitor from automatically upscaling video input to its native resolution. I can't recall seeing any third-party software that can do it. I think I have seen a monitor where the manufacturer included software/firmware that could divide the screen in half or into quarters to display video from multiple video connections on that monitor at the same time, but that is the closest thing that I have seen to what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Some monitors have the ability to display the incoming video at its native size rather than scaling it to full screen. Or to zoom out to any arbitrary size. Look for the setting in the monitor's setup menus. That's your only hope.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    Thanx already tried this. The link i posted previously came from that post. It seems that less than 100 does nothing different
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some monitors have the ability to display the incoming video at its native size rather than scaling it to full screen. Or to zoom out to any arbitrary size. Look for the setting in the monitor's setup menus. That's your only hope.
    I looked at the Samsung SyncMaster 305T's user manual but there is no mention there of any settings that disable upscaling by the monitor to either allow video input to be displayed at its actual resolution or at an arbitrary size.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some monitors have the ability to display the incoming video at its native size rather than scaling it to full screen. Or to zoom out to any arbitrary size. Look for the setting in the monitor's setup menus. That's your only hope.
    I looked at the Samsung SyncMaster 305T's user manual but there is no mention there of any settings that disable upscaling by the monitor to either allow video input to be displayed at its actual resolution or at an arbitrary size.
    For sure. You only get a brightness control buttons and nothing more. Seems like this monitor was only aiming for desktop computers at that time and Smasung didnt imagine that at some point even low end laptops can easily output this resolution and didnt bother with future proofing

Anyway it was a longshot but it is certain i cant do anything about this. Thanx guys for tagging along
    Quote Quote