VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all - post#1, hope this helps someone out;

twice in row I've encoded movies from bluray rips and ended up with discs (verbatim DVD+R SL and DL) that can't be read on either of two Sony players (DVP-585P, DVP-78H) or an old, cheap, toy-like player of a friend's (can't remember the make). I burned multiple copies (three each, to be precise) on two different writers (LG and Liteon) but no go (they play fine on my PC).

I eventually realised what the two source videos had in common - nearly three seconds of black screen at the start, which Hcenc, with its lack of a minimum bitrate parameter, presumably encodes at a few kbs and with which DVD players go into buffer under-run [ETA - or is it under-flow?].

I've read a fair few discussions and queries about Hcenc's peculiar (AFAIK unique, actually) lack of a minimum bitrate setting, generally about blocking on long fades to/from black (which I've not encountered) - I wonder how many others have ended up with multiple dual-layer DVDR coasters at nearly £$€1 a pop (when bought in 10-spindles as I do).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post the avstodvd log. Make sure to burn the disk at half the rated max speed

On the AVStoDVD edit title/Avisynth tab you can deselect auto avisynth script, and choose trim.
    You can get the encode to start 3 seconds into the movie. Here I started at frame 75 and entered 0
    at "enter trim end" to get to the end
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	trim.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	52661  

Last edited by davexnet; 8th Apr 2020 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will check it out.

In the meantime what I've done is trim the MKV's in Avidemux - the first keyframe is usually 2-5 seconds in, so the cut isn't too jarring. It's quick (actually VERY quick) and dirty, but it works.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just obtained another 'vintage' Sony, a NVP-708H (model after the 78H previously mentioned), and it has no problem with the discs - I guess the buffer-underrun is an issue with some players as much as with the discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If that seems to be the issue with some players and discs , you can also try setting zones (as a bitrate multiplier) in hcenc for the first part instead of cutting
    Quote Quote